Super Contributor

Re: ANYONE EVER USE ROGAINE?

I used Rogaine for five years and never saw any improvement.  I am 70.  Used it when I was 58.  I do use a shampoo I get at the drug store with coupons.  Nioxin and have used it over 8 years now and see some results,nothing great.

I do know that stress does play a major factor.  A friend of mine is a Dermo and talks about this all the time.

Honored Contributor

@Tsukiko  Your befor & after pics after just 2 months are amazing!!! 

Do you have to use Rogaine for life to keep the results up?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

@Mz iMac Yes you have to continue using it otherwise your hair will go back to the way it was before. 

Respected Contributor

After a death in the family, stress caused my hair to fall out on top of the head. I started Rogaine once a day about 6 weeks ago, and it is helping.

I'm not vain, want to age gracefully,  just use basic in expensive beauty products, but I don't want to have a bald spot on top of my head!

I do not believe the topical will grow hair on your face unless you rub it on your face. I am using the foam, and when it dries it makes the surrounding hair stiff, so it ruins the hairstyle.( I must try the liquid.) The dermatologist says be sure to get the 5%, mens and womens is the same, just labeling is different.  She also told me there is a blood pressure medication called minoxidil, which is the product in Rogaine. People can take that pill for hair growth, but it would seem to me it would promote hair growth all over the body  which ladies don't want. But a pill sure would be easier than topical. 

Now I'm wondering is if eventually I could apply it less frequently, like every other day. Maybe down the road I can. I am not enjoying this.

One thing I don't know is that if it's stress related, can you stop eventually when stress is reduced?  Also, I watched a YouTube video which said you need to wear a headcovering to bed when applying at night.  If you apply and let it dry before bed, headcover is not necessary. 

To anyone considering this, if you can style hair to cover a minor hair loss, do that. But if it's getting worse or the appearance is troubling, maybe this is the way to go. 

Im not at all happy about having to use Rogaine, but there are worse things, right?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not the brand Rogaine but another brand of minoxidil was one I tried using years ago. It didn't do anything except make my hair incredibility oily. Today I use a hair-growth laser cap instead and for me that is a better option b/c I have new hair growing.

Some things about minoxidil...

- It isn't meant for receding hairlines or balding at the front of the head but people use it on those areas anyway. It was formulated to go on the top and crown areas of the head.

- It will not cause unwanted hair growth, for instance on the face, as long as you keep the product away from the areas where you don't want hair to grow. Facial hair growth is a rare side-effect seen on some women.

Respected Contributor

@Tsukiko ,  WOW!! IM IMPRESSED!!  THANKS FOR THE PICS!!  HAPPY FOR YOU!!

ARE YOU USING THE MOUSE OR LIQUID?

Respected Contributor

I see you said foam...disregard my question. 🙂

Respected Contributor

Thank you all so much!!  I ordered the foam.  Talked to hubby...he encouraged me also,  said, Get it!!  We were outside and I asked him if could see my scalp.  He said yes, a little.   

I appreciate the detailed info you all shared...I already feel better!!🤗

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin 

If you spend a lot of time out under the sun, you should wear a hat to protect your scalp from the UV rays. Sunlight has been shown to cause hair follicles to prematurely go into the shedding phase of the growth cycle for some people. What that means is your hair could thin over time.

The original Nioxin's active ingredients (not the one with minoxidil) include two types of sunscreen in their products. I thought that was interesting.

Trusted Contributor

@Tsukiko  - wrote I've been using Rogaine 5% foam since February. I am extremely happy with the results.  You will not grow hair on your face unless you're rubbing it all over your face everyday. I started out with the Rogaine foam for women but have switched to Costco's version. It says it's for men but the ingredients are the same.

@Tsukiko  - I am currently using the Rogaine (foam) for Women, I saw that you can purchase the Costco Kirkland brand through Amazon, you get a better deal on the Men's foam, would you recommend the men's foam over the women's to use?