Respected Contributor

Re: ANYONE EVER USE ROGAINE?

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Dazlin 

If you spend a lot of time out under the sun, you should wear a hat to protect your scalp from the UV rays. Sunlight has been shown to cause hair follicles to prematurely go into the shedding phase of the growth cycle for some people. What that means is your hair could thin over time.

The original Nioxin's active ingredients (not the one with minoxidil) include two types of sunscreen in their products. I thought that was interesting.

@SilleeMee , that's very interesting  I had no idea about that.  I live in SUNNY FLORIDA 🌞 ☀️ .  I wear a hat when I'm gardening, or walking, but not for general shopping around.  I'm going to pass this info onto my mom...shes experiencing extreme hair loss due to her meds, so any little precaution may be of some help.  She loves sitting outside in the sun.   Thank you so much, your knowledge is so helpful!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty I'm still on my first purchase of the mousse, but it does make the hair it touches stiff.  I'll be trying the liquid next time I buy. I'm hoping I can reduce to less than daily eventually, but I wouldn't try that now!  Too risky.

@Dazlin I'm so glad you brought up this topic and that you are feeling better about it.  In the beginning I was quite upset myself, and it really helps to share with others, doesn't it?  I'm settled down now and living with it. I just have always thought of "Rogaine" as something for men, but it's not.

Edited to add: I was checking out the Nioxin System 2 hair care products and noticed it's only for "natural: hair, in other words, uncolored hair.

Respected Contributor

@Another new name Sue ....I have used the Nioxin's line...it didn't help at all.   I just bought a shampoo and conditioner at Walmart with Biotin and collagen for extra volume.   I used it yesterday, and it's pretty good.  I'm feeling optimistic the Rogaine will help...my daughter uses it and she said it definitely helps.

I have very expensive shampoos, and, honestly they don't stop the hair loss.   So I figured I'd try the drug store brand,  Exra Strength  extra volume OGX, Purple bottles. 

My hair was very shiny.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee...im going to start the Rogaine...im reading through directions, it says scalp should be towel dried before applying, and use cold fingers to apply...but it doesn't say if I can blow dry my hair after??

Can you help me with that? Thx!!

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

@SilleeMee...im going to start the Rogaine...im reading through directions, it says scalp should be towel dried before applying, and use cold fingers to apply...but it doesn't say if I can blow dry my hair after??

Can you help me with that? Thx!!

@Dazlin 

Under the FAQs on Rogaine's website I found this, question #19:

"19. Can I blow-dry my hair after applying ROGAINE®products?

Yes. It's fine to blow-dry your hair; however, we recommend using your dryer at a lower setting."

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee ...thank you so much!!  I googled it too.

Here goes🙃

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee , and others that use minoxidil/Rogaine...

I used it today for the 1st time.  I have the foam.  I don't like the way my hair feels...it feels stiff and filmy, and was a little difficult to style.  I'm thinking maybe use it at night, a few hours before bed, then I can wash it in morning if I want.   I looked up possibilities of it transferring to the pillow case, and it says, as long as it's dry it won't transfer.   Honestly, I'm disappointed because I hate how my hair feels, but ill try stick it out.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

@SilleeMee , and others that use minoxidil/Rogaine...

I used it today for the 1st time.  I have the foam.  I don't like the way my hair feels...it feels stiff and filmy, and was a little difficult to style.  I'm thinking maybe use it at night, a few hours before bed, then I can wash it in morning if I want.   I looked up possibilities of it transferring to the pillow case, and it says, as long as it's dry it won't transfer.   Honestly, I'm disappointed because I hate how my hair feels, but ill try stick it out.

@Dazlin 

It made my hair very oily and my hair looked dirty all of the time. I just couldn't take it so I quit using it. Maybe try the liquid...? ...and that way try to just apply it on the scalp and not on the hair so much.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee , I bought 2 cans.  My hair feels dry, stiff, not like yours, oily...hmmmm.   im going to try at night.  If I still hate it I'll give it to my daughter.   She's only in her early 40's but she liked using it because her hair is very fine and a bit thin.  I doubt I'll bother trying the liquid although I thought of it for more precise application.

I'm feeling annoyed, and I wasn't expecting to have another problem...im very picky about my hair.  I like it silky and shiny.  Looks dull and I had a hard time getting the brush through.  I'll also be more careful about how much I use...it definitely got on my hair.  Too much trouble for me.  Thanks for listening,  I know I'm complaining 🙄.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin 

I just microneedled my scalp!! First time I've tried it. It wasn't bad at all. Hardly felt it. I'm hoping that it will help with the traction alopecia I've been having for over a year now. My laser cap doesn't cover the areas where the alopecia is located and I'm not going back to using minoxidil either. Can you see the desperation in my post....lol!!