Honored Contributor

I'd worry the person tending the window would just pocket the money and not tell the next person his/her order had been already paid.   Especially if it was a big order.   But maybe I'm too jaded.

Respected Contributor

Re: Paying it forward

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

I'd worry the person tending the window would just pocket the money and not tell the next person his/her order had been already paid.   Especially if it was a big order.   But maybe I'm too jaded.

The vast majority of people buying coffee especially in a drive thru are  paying with credit card or Apple Pay or on their Starbucks app. They can’t pocket the cash. And yes, you are jaded

Honored Contributor

@scatcat  I'm sorry.  I didn't know that, as I don't go to Starbucks.  Too expensive for me!

Honored Contributor

Paying it forward with a good deed is not about making yourself feel good and bragging about it but helping someone else out quietly without telling a soul about it!  Doing something that isn't a real sacrifice and then bragging about it is self serving and I bet very few would do a good deed if it really inconvenienced them or if they had to do something anonymously.  

I also don't call buying a drink or a meal for a first responder or serviceman or veteran paying it forward but just showing appreciation and respect for all they do and nothing to brag about.  We are all different but I think doing something good then announcing it negates the good deed because now it's about what you did!

Honored Contributor

@Pook  I agree, but don't understand who is paying it forward and bragging about it.  

The OP was on the receiving end of a good deed and was pleasantly surprised by someone's act of kindness, as was I.

i think it is normal to feel good about yourself when you help someone.  Doing a good deed shouldn't make you feel awful.