Honored Contributor

@mintedrose

I think it starts even smaller than that.

I work in a large HS, located on a campus.  There are students from my school who attend part time and then go to other schools in the afternoon.  We also get people who come from their home school to attend ours part time.  There is no way that I could even recognize more than 2,000 people. When I am walking up to school, I greet every student on my way in, even if they have their earbuds in and don't really "hear" me.  Once I am on campus, I will hold the door open for students as I am exiting/entering.  On Fridays, I'll mix things up and tell them "Happy Friday" or "Have a great weekend" on my way out.  Sometimes I'll tell them that I like something that they're wearing- "that's a great backpack" or "I can see that you're a cat person, just like me."  I hope that just being acknowledged by someone (even if they don't know me) helps with a sense of community.  When we hear about the shootings and violence in public places, I often think "What if...?" , like what if someone had just said "hello" or "how is your day going?"  and it was just what that one person needed at that moment to feel connected.  It can turn someone's bad day into something more manageable.  

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono

Greeting the students in the morning certainly qualifies ... I should remember to do this!

@on the bay

What a thought! To create extra work for the fast food employees doesn't seem right!  I think a tip for them instead (or in addition) might be in order!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Re: Paying it forward

[ Edited ]

The point is not giving to a needy person, but giving.  Just because someone can afford Starbucks does not mean they shouldnt have a gift and a good day.  You dont know what is going on in their life.  And you can still put a donation in the red bucket.

Ridiculous?  Sorry but you are ridiculous.

Im not putting this to anyones attention because you know who you are.  SMH

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Regular Contributor

A few days ago DH & I went to lunch. At the cashier they had 2 jars collecting money. One for an animal shelter and one for the food bank. The animal shelter one was half full and one lonely quarter in the food bank one. What's wrong with people?!? DH decided to try to prime the pump (so to speak) and threw a $20 into the food bank jar . Hopefully people will get the idea! I'm all for animal shelters but isn't being sure to feed our children the most important?

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

Are people still doing that pay it forward thing at drive-thrus? I thought it was a silly game.

I agree, you may be buying a meal for a billionaire. Clearly, anyone buying coffee at Starbucks isn't counting their pennies, as the coffee is expensive.

Honored Contributor

It's not a silly game if it puts a smile on someones face.

It maybe their only smile of the day.....

Honored Contributor

@patofl wrote:

A few days ago DH & I went to lunch. At the cashier they had 2 jars collecting money. One for an animal shelter and one for the food bank. The animal shelter one was half full and one lonely quarter in the food bank one. What's wrong with people?!? DH decided to try to prime the pump (so to speak) and threw a $20 into the food bank jar . Hopefully people will get the idea! I'm all for animal shelters but isn't being sure to feed our children the most important?

@patofl  The food bank jar may have been full and had just been emptied.

Personally I would donate directly to the food bank; ask them what they need specifically.  Sometimes they are overloaded with one type of food product.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I have heard of that, it's fun thing to do to perk up someone's day but I don't think it's necessary to do the exact same thing in the exact same way, immediately.  There are 1000 different ways of Paying It Forward.  

Honored Contributor

@patofl wrote:

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

Are people still doing that pay it forward thing at drive-thrus? I thought it was a silly game.

I agree, you may be buying a meal for a billionaire. Clearly, anyone buying coffee at Starbucks isn't counting their pennies, as the coffee is expensive.

A silly game?  Well, I think not.

Someone bought my ice tea at a drive through.  I had money and at wasn't poor.  I was shocked that someone would do that for me. And it made my day.  I felt really good about the whole experience.  I was just sorry that I didn't get a chance to thank the lady.

This is not charity.  It's about doing something nice for a perfect stranger.  What difference does it make if they have money in their pocket or not? So, if the person is a billionaire, they don't deserve a nice surprise?

You are missing the point. Doing something nice for someone... anyone is always good.  People who have money are deserving as well.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's not something I would do, because, likely as not, your pay-it-forward $ would wind up in the cashier's pocket.

They could just keep it themselves and no one would be the wiser.

(Unless you wanted to hang around and wait for their reaction, which is a lot of trouble to micromanage)......

I prefer my donations to go DIRECTLY to the recipient and not through a middleman.

ETA:  sorry to be a GRINCH!!!  Woman LOL