Esteemed Contributor

Re: Paying it forward

[ Edited ]

Amazing how cynical some can be.  The pay it forward  concept is not about being deserving it is just doing something nice for a fellow human being.  Don't want to buy coffee do something else.  This summer a local girl scout troop was passing out flowers at a park, just to make someones' day. When they came up to me, I asked them what it was for. Her response was "so you can smile".

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

And yet some of these same people who do this are often some of the ones who will  let a door shut in the person behind them's face, splash them by not slowing down when a mud puddle is close to a sidewalk,not help someone pick up dropped items when they still have an armful, etc.  One of the best pay it forwards I've had is when I was in a frustrating moment of rare B & M store shopping and I had several packages and one dropped while people just kept kicking it out of their way.  Someone rushed over and said as I was trying to set the ones in my hands down "I got it stay put".  Now that is a rare pay it forward moment and I bet this person didn't brag once about it!  

Honored Contributor

@mintedrose

My wife does this also at Starbucks, in a store or the drive-thru. If she sees police officers in the parking she lot she asks if he/they want a drink from Starbucks. She also offers to pay if she sees them in line at Starbucks inside a store.

Makes her feel good, especially to Law Enforcement, or Service Men or Woman.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I pay it forward at the drive thru & it doesn't matter if they can pay for themselves because that's not the point! Several years ago my husband drowned & soon after a young family member was facing amputations & open heart surgery to save their life from a massive MRSA infection, it was a very difficult time & after being at the hospital for 3 days I came home for a quick shower & headed back with a stop at Starbucks...I was surprised that the driver in front of me paid my bill & so flustered that I didn't think to pay for the person behind me. Yes I had the money to pay but that act of kindness meant the world to me & I'll never forget it. I donate to charities, volunteer at hospitals & believe in helping others however you can including paying it forward.

Respected Contributor

@MJDinVegas  You and your circle of friends are inspiring.  Thank you for your Christmas spirit, and may it carry you through the new year!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Its not about judging someone and how much they have or can afford. Its just about being kind to another human despite of all those things. It doesnt matter if they have billions or hundreds, its just about passing on kindness. This not only makes you feel good but it definitlly amazes those we do good for. It sends a message that there is still good out in the world. We dont know what battles others are fighting silently and we can never know but we can let the universe work its magic by doing small acts of good for others without expecting anything in return. Dont worry about not being able to thank them because thats not what they're looking for. Someone just wants to make your day a little better by doing something nice, they will know you are thankful in your heart. If you dont wanna buy someone coffee, do another act of kindness that you normally may not do. It could be anything. If it annoys you to do nice things for others then this is not for you. Im going to begin by doing little acts of kindness for others and hopefully it lifts up their spirits, and see how the universe rewards you.   HeartSmiley Happy

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Respected Contributor

@patofl wrote:

A few days ago DH & I went to lunch. At the cashier they had 2 jars collecting money. One for an animal shelter and one for the food bank. The animal shelter one was half full and one lonely quarter in the food bank one. What's wrong with people?!? DH decided to try to prime the pump (so to speak) and threw a $20 into the food bank jar . Hopefully people will get the idea! I'm all for animal shelters but isn't being sure to feed our children the most important?

There are food banks all over the place. There are multiple ways to donate food at all times. People in the US don’t die of starvation. But animals are euthanized - thousands a day. I’m so happy people are compassionate towards caged animals 

Respected Contributor

@patofl wrote:

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

Are people still doing that pay it forward thing at drive-thrus? I thought it was a silly game.

I agree, you may be buying a meal for a billionaire. Clearly, anyone buying coffee at Starbucks isn't counting their pennies, as the coffee is expensive.

@patofl

Clearly it isn't about the money.  It's about the thought!  It is doing something nice for someone without any expectations for something back.  I'll keep on paying it forward the rest of my life in any way that I can--even without money involved. . .

Respected Contributor

I agree with @YorkieonmyPillow. I figured it would just end up in the pocket of the person you handed the money to, but then again, I'm not a very trusting person. I do my donations to St. Judes, Paralyzed Veterans and our local homeless shelter and donate food to Boy Scouts and the Postal workers for the local food bank. I don't want to pay for someone who can certainly buy their own coffee, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

An uplifting gesture that makes people smile. Nothing wrong with that. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau