Respected Contributor

Re: February 2016 - Back Fence

Never got around to getting eggs - shame on me!!!! Went to Senior LUncheon at a church I do not attend other than their monthly luncheons and it was great - took two others with me. Lots of fun.

Took Miss Mary home - she is 90 and real tough - and spent a little time with her - then took Jeannie home. She had an invitation from a new neighbor to meet and greet - did not think anyone did that these days. She asked me to go with her and so interesting in that their house had the identical floor plan she had.Very nice people and what a great way to get to know new neighbors - they moved in their home in late November - they are renting.

Kitties spent most of the day out in their condo - what a life - and Davey got them in for the evening. I had to wash a small load of clothes as one of those cats diddled on them on the table. Grrrr!!! I really need to find the two kitties new homes - hate to do it but I have too many critters here with all the people. These kitties belong to the teen great grands and they do nothing to help with them and I have told them, sorry the cost of shots, chips, food, etc and taking full care of them is just too much for me any more. Am disappointed in they do not seem  to be bothered about it. Will try and find good homes for them. Thought I had it taken care of a few months back as I had made all the plans and was called the night before and the lady told me the people who adopted the last bunch of her foster cats had returned them all. How can people do that?

Hope all had a super good day!

Respected Contributor

David and I both crashed early last night - what a surprise that was and I do not believe he got up later. House looked about the same as it did when I went to bed. LOL. I did not even check to see if he ate the half Cornish Game Hen I brought home from the luncheon. It was huge and I for some reason will not eat them. Guess we still do what we were raised doing - and in my family we would not eat them.

Suppose to be nice and warm today but not hot - that is good.

Will get some oatmeal in a few minutes then start moving around.

Have a great day everyone.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Been busy doing who knows what, but can't seem to catch up on stuff. Have seen two doctor's and another is scheduled this week; don't know what she'll say about me not having the sleep study she wants me to have, but guess I'll find out. The only thing I like about doctor's visits is getting to try out new restaurant's. The last one was Aspen Creek. Very nice.

So sorry for the sad news, Betty, but happy to hear that your cousin is improving.

The day I saw my most recent doc the temp was 85 degrees and today it is in the 50's. The cats were fine when I fed them, but I felt the icicles forming when I opened the door.

I was getting ready for worship services this morning when I heard Jim fall and yell and hurried into the kitchen and saw him lying on the floor sort of 'addled'. His walker was lying on his legs and all sorts of things he keeps in his walker basket were scattered on the floor. He was eventually able to pull himself up holding onto the handles on the kitchen drawers. The metal above the wheel on the walker had broken and he took quite a tumble. Thankfully the only thing broken was that sheared metal, but he was really sore and his hand was hurt and swelled some, but the pain relieving cream I rubbed on his back and he rubbed on his hand and a Tylenol helped, but he wasn't able to load my scooter on the car lift so we weren't able to attend worship services and he really didn't feel like getting out anyway after his spill.  He's feeling better this evening though.

Hope things are well with all. Happy First Day of The Week! Sue

Trusted Contributor

Sue, I'm so sorry to hear about Jims fall and hope he will not find anything else hurting.   

I woke  up this morning kinda stogged up.   I wasn't able to get to sleep right away last night and then slept later this morning.  That always messes me up.   I'm a creature of habit I guess.  

Happy belated birthday to Ricky.   Can't believe he is two already.    

We called at the funeral home Friday night. So sad but it was nice to see that family.   When you're kid divorces you sorta get divorced too. But it felt very normal and nice. My daughter came with her daughter and I was glad she did.  They were married for 20 years.   

Yesterday we went to rehab hospital to see Scott. He was sitting in a chair but you could see he was in a lot of pain.  He and his wife are both very large people but even after being asleep for 4 weeks he still looks as large as ever    Interesting that they had put in a feeding tube but it is not being used. He is eating regular food and had eaten ham for lunch. I thought that seemed strange.  Rehab starts today so questions might get answered

Spoiler

Respected Contributor

Sue, sorry to hear about Jim's fall, that must have really hurt and also had to have been really scary. No fun in tumbles - especially as we age.

Betty, even when families split, you always hope kindness and former friendliness continue - does not always happen but many times it does. Sorry about the sorrow in your family.

Really cold this morning and it is suppose to be a very warm day. Interesting in how these temps work. Actually "warmer" than yesterday morning but I was fine yesterday and now am really cold. Go figure!!!!!

Have a great day everyone!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Queenofo2

Jim falling had to be so frightening for him and for you.  I am horrified that his walker broke and was the cause of the fall.  Clearly they don't even make walkers like they used to.  I hope that Jim doesn't have long term effects from this fall and I'm sorry for you that you missed church.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@yock

Betty, since Scott was intubated and on a ventilator, they won't remove the stomach peg right away until they are absolutely sure he can eat/swallow and not aspirate.  The terms 'stomach peg' or 'feeding tube' sound kind of minor but anytime you fuss with the stomach, it's worse that actually getting something to assist you with breathing.  My mom was discharged from the LTACH - long term acute care hospital - where she was weaned from the vent with the stomach peg.   It was removed after discharge.

Honored Contributor

@Winifred

When it's consistently cold here, I can handle it.  The minute it warms up, like it did last Friday (near 60's), I'm actually colder when I go outside.  I think there was more humidity or dampness in the air.

Trusted Contributor

must be the week for falls. During the night last night I got a cramp in my foot. Got up to walk around,up and down the hall. Had to use the potty,so went in the guest bedroom,as to not wake up Vin. My leg sometimes gets numb if I have to sit there too long. Well, I went to get up and took a sideways dive into the tub. BOY,talk about hurting,I fell on my side,with my legs over the outside of the tub. Had to yell loud so he could hear me,by this time I was crying.hit my head,shoulder on the built in soap dish.could not get up.

so,he's yelling "where are you"? 

He turns on the light and I see blood driving ,it seemed to be coming from my ear...panic sets in!!!!  It was only my ear,outside had a cut. So I manage to get my legs into the tub,get on my hands and knees,and get out that wat.

i sure was shaken.my entire right side is sore today,esp. My shoulder blade.

i have always told my daughter that I am afraid of falling,due to many health problems. Just thankful I was not home alone.

guess I'll be out of service for a few days.vin wanted me to go to Dr.,but I'm O.K.,already take pain meds and muscle relaxer. I'll just sit tight for a few days.

aging is not for sissies!!!!! LOL

Honored Contributor

@Epicurean

Jesus, Mary and Joseph Epi, you could have killed yourself.  I think bathrooms are the number #1 danger zone for falls, with stairs a close second.  I'm not beingt funny when I suggest a grab bar or a cane near the toilet.  The former owners of this house installed a grab bar near the toilet in the upstairs bathroom and downstairs 1/2 bathroom.  The man had hip issues and replacement surgery.

Since the 1/2 bath is so small, and I am so tall it would be near impossible for me to fall any other way than against the wall.  The upstairs bathroom could be a death zone, with the tub near by.

My point is, even though I was 38 when we bought this house, I won't remove the grab bar in the upstairs bathroom.  I just paper around it or paint around it.  I know my day is coming, it always does, for falling.

Give it a day or so, it always hurts worse a day or so and take Vin's advice if you feel particularly sore anywhere. Given the way you fell, a fracture is possible.

I am so happy you are okay enough to write about it.