Honored Contributor

Re: February 2016 - Back Fence

@spix

My manager said everyone should go home around 2:15 pm.  I left at 2:45 and was home by 4pm.  The biggest delay was I-75 was flooded (it was raining and sleeting in Detroit where I work) and only one lane was open.

Like a dipsh*t, I decided to use my snowblower to work on the slushy driveway and sidewalk.  It was like fighting with a dead man.  I knew traction was going to be an issue and the spout thing that the snow comes out of would get clogged up but I didn't want to break my back.

I slipped, I fell and there were a couple of times I swore like a drunken longshoreman.  I know that I possess a better vocabulary but sometimes letting one or two curse words out relieves the stress, rofl.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@Bird mama, I totally understand, have said words I didn't even know I knew, but it did feel good  lol

Glad you made it home safely, nice of them to let you go early, hope the trip tomorrow is much better

Respected Contributor

The closest I like to get to snow at my age is to look at it on the surrounding hills - times have changed. For those of you sweating that stuff out - stay warm and safe.

Not feeling the best and it came on fast. Was fine this morning and all of a sudden my nose starts running, the throat gets a tad sore and trying to breathe is the pits!!! Guess I am trying to come down with something - and these things usually mean a trip to Urgent Care as I have COPD and it does not go well with me with these symptoms. Was so lucky last year did not have anything serious which was great - have a hunch I will not get off that easy this go round. The winds have been fierce and I was sweating it out.

Am warming up leftovers for dinner  - not going to be great but so be it. Davey actually came home and fell asleep - he did get three containers out to the street and now I have to wake him up to clean the cat boxes, haul it out and also the kitchen garbage - then he can go back to sleep. LOL.

Hope all had a good day.

Honored Contributor

@Winifred

There has been something going around the entire country and since you live with children, you are bound to catch it.  I'll tell you kids can pass some strong viruses.  I've caught things from adults and been fine.  I've caught things from kids that have laid me out.

Please take care because we don't want it turning into pneumonia.

Trusted Contributor

Freddie, don't let that get ahead of you.   Get thee to the Urgent Care    

We are in the pocket that missed most of the snow. All around us schools were closing and traffic was a mess.   The Home Show starts here today so Merle decided to make an appearance there rather than on the road    Certainly is a strange weather pattern but I was grateful to see the ice leave the power lines.  

Honored Contributor

@yock

We had it weird here too.  There were 3 basic stripes of weather patterns across Michigan yesterday.  Some got buried just a county over, some, like me, just a little snow (lots of slushy rain) and some with rain and no snow.

Respected Contributor

@Winifred, I agree with the others, get to urgent care or your doctor, don't take chances.

That said, not much else, just colored my grays, change the furnace filter, did laundry, how exciting, topping it off with leftovers for supper.

Respected Contributor

I am pretty good about checking in with my health concerns since I have COPD big time. And as a child I always had lung problems - grew up and smoked. I know, I know, stopped but not soon enough Told myself smoking was stupid, put the cigarette down and never looked back - real easy thing to do. My Mother stopped the very same way but she stopped a lot sooner than I did. Always said she was smarter than I was.  Thanks for your concern. Will probably head that way tomorrow. Peaceful and quiet here - only Davey and myself - also got a ton of washing done.

Hope all had a super good day!!

Honored Contributor

@Winifred

We nag because we care :-)

Honored Contributor

Hello all, it's cold, cloudy (but not a dark kind of cloudy) and every once in a while a small front of snow passes through.  It's supposed to be in the upper 40's and low 50's this weekend (too weird for me).

I thought I heard that another front could clip the lower part of Michigan next week.  I hope it doesn't happen next Wednesday.  I've volunteered my morning for a Special Olympics Youth Expo.

The place I work for is funny - they build in diversity and inclusion into your performance review.  It makes the VPs look good.  This year they started something new - if you volunteer offsite (how else are you going to mingle with the community) you have to take personal time to cover it.

I made a committment to the Youth Expo and confirmed my committment a few days before I was informed of the new policy regarding the usage of personal/vacation time. 

If I give my word, I keep my word so I will take 1/2 a personal/vacation day next Wednesday.  I hope to cripe I don't get teary eyed around the kids.  I'll be working with 2 1/2 year olds to 7 year olds.