Esteemed Contributor

Re: “FAMOUS TALK SHOW HOST”

@Spurt wrote:

I don't care about Ms. O's list or anything she says or does!

----------------

Totally agree!   She's had her 15 minutes of fame...

time for her - and her fans - to move on!!

I have never purchased any thing based on a celebrity's endorsement!!

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus 

I heard that O was going out of print too! But I don't know if it's true and I can't remember where I even heard it. I hope it's not true!! 

Super Contributor

Her "list" is so far removed from what originally was, it means little to nothing anymore.   Just a promotional ploy at this point.   Nothing special about it anymore.  

Such a shame, that what started out as a uniquely interesting thing, quickly became nothing money a money making device,    

Honored Contributor

@speedy girl wrote:

@Shanus 

I heard that O was going out of print too! But I don't know if it's true and I can't remember where I even heard it. I hope it's not true!! 

@speedy girl   I had a subscription for years and it got repetitive. I didn't renew. So many magazines are not going to be printed.

Honored Contributor

Yeah--altho I am a fan of Oprah--in small doses, nothing she "likes" ever makes me jump up and down to buy it.  you hear that alot from these hosts-----meh!!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Johnnyeager no one can use someone else's name to sell a product without their permission.  The person whose name is being used without authorization could bring a lawsuit and prevail for the use of her name for commercial purposes.  Posters can use the name here as long as it is not for the poster's financial gain.

cc: @EatWell @beach-mom 

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Shanus a celebrity can't claim that she uses a product if she doesn't.  That is false advertising, which is banned by law.  The celebtity can be sued or penalized.  This has happened, with shampoos, etc.  Endorsing a product doesn't necessarily mean the endorser uses it.  The claims that appear in ads with celebrities vary.  Many ads we see on the internet with celebrities purporting to make endorsements are fake.  (Internet advertising is not subject to the same regulations as TV.)  Those celebrities ususally sue the seller for using their name for financial gain without authorization.

All that being said, I like to know Oprah's curated picks, not that I buy them often.  Usually the items are discounted, not jacked up in price.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for explaining @NYCLatinaMe! So we're not allowed to say "Disney World " either? That's a destination, like Niagara Falls. I don't understand that part of it. Smiley Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

We (posters) are allowed to utter OPRAH.

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

Thanks for explaining @NYCLatinaMe! So we're not allowed to say "Disney World " either? That's a destination, like Niagara Falls. I don't understand that part of it. Smiley Frustrated

Hi @beach-mom  Posters on this board can say anything (well, follow qvc's posting rules), but if you are selling something, and you don't have permission from Disney World, if you sell by claiming it is Disney World, Disney World can sue you for money and to make you stop.  They sell their own merchandise you know.  To use their name you need an agreement with them, commonly a license, which they may or may not agree to.  And payments to them may make your product unprofitable.  You may recall electronics stores used to sell TVs so you could watch the Super Bowl, then one day they stopped and it is now the "big game."  That is because the NFL, which owns the rights to the Super Bowl name, either sued or threatened the retailers with a lawsuit (I don't remember which).  Disney World is not just a destination, it is an entertainment venue that is private property. I don't know that Niagara Falls is anyone's private property.  Not weighing in on that one.  I am not providing legal advice, just general information that is readily available.