Honored Contributor

Re: Sympathy for those of you up north

@Stray wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

I don't know...I'm kinda loving the cold weather that has hit us finally : D

@SahmIam

no sympathy needed here either......i am LOVING this weather, FINALLY! i feel invigorated!

Same here in NJ....I love the change in seasons....it was too warm in December....

way too warm @Stray !

we were running our air conditioning all day  on christmas day. with the oven going and so many people in the house it was too darn warm. it just didnt feel "normal" during december.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

It was actually warm here today, temp is 16 degrees...after a wind chill of -34 yesterday it feels much warmer today.

Upcoming weekend high temps...0 on Saturday and -6 on Sunday.

Heck, if it's sunny and in the 40s...we open the windows, and do away with coats/jackets. 

Trusted Contributor

@151949

HaHa

I appreciated your post.  I can imagine only.  But I must admit,

I am only used to our Mediterranean climate.  You are speaking

from true experience, so you would certainly know.

Trusted Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

It was 6 degrees this morning when I came in, now its snowing and still frigid cold!!!!!!

Yes. I was looking at our weather-we're WI neighbors-and it was -1 last night. No wonder I was feeling so cold...

It's supposed to warm up for us into the upper 30's, so YAY for us!!

I had to go out yesterday for some appts., and even though I was bundled up, I just couldn't tolerate the wind chill. I think that it was around -15. Brrr...those are the Arctic/Canadian wind chills and fronts that we get.

Esteemed Contributor

@susan in California wrote:

I am a fourth- generation Californian, living on the coast. I have never lived in

snowy conditions.  My husband used to travel a lot to Minneapolis for business,

and he used to come back with many interesting stories about the weather.

One of our sons attended the University of Colorado in Boulder.  When I would

visit, I was definitely a fish out of water.

As much as I love it here, there certainly are beautiful places in our nation.

And I always remember my favorite English teacher, a Princeton grad., used to say you can't fully appreciate poetry or literature if you haven't lived in a place with four genuine seasons.  I loved this instructor, and I still remember what he said.

Part of the reason I love living where I do is that we get all four seasons.  Family and friends who have moved away love where they live, but always say they still miss the change of seasons.

So no sympathy needed for me either!  I prefer summer, but it's fun to change my closets, what I cook, and my indoor/outdoor activities as the seasons change.  After living in the NYC tri-state area all my life, I have learned that there is something to embrace about every season!

Super Contributor

This is the first winter in 62 years I have not been in NY for the winter.  I will be in Florida until April. That being said, I'm sitting here with a blanket on. No, I'm not freezing, but I did feel the drop in temperature. 

I used to think it was funny how easily people in Florida become cold.  Well now that I'm here, I realize why.  It is just like the first cool day after the summer in, say, September or October. People bring out the turtlenecks in the 50s. 

So I'm concluding that 50s would seem balmy right now to the north, but down here it is like our first cool after summer. That's why we feel it so much. Do you think I concluded correctly??😎😎

Honored Contributor

@Ditzydori wrote:

This is the first winter in 62 years I have not been in NY for the winter.  I will be in Florida until April. That being said, I'm sitting here with a blanket on. No, I'm not freezing, but I did feel the drop in temperature. 

I used to think it was funny how easily people in Florida become cold.  Well now that I'm here, I realize why.  It is just like the first cool day after the summer in, say, September or October. People bring out the turtlenecks in the 50s. 

So I'm concluding that 50s would seem balmy right now to the north, but down here it is like our first cool after summer. That's why we feel it so much. Do you think I concluded correctly??😎😎

Yes.    I'm in AZ.........and after a summer of 110's........even 70 feels "cool".     We DO get down to freezing here for a short time in the winter.........and that is really brutal.    (And I was born in Chicago).

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@SuzieGarnet wrote:

@marmot24, this little guy made his own path...  when it starts thawing yours will be a much more happy camper..

Cute, my dog loves snow.

We live in S. Wy. but we are high altitude and it's cold and there's a lot of snow. We're supposed to snow again for 3 days.

snow path

snow

Those top pics are not this year, but these are after Christmas.

We use the snow blower to make paths for the dogs. 

snow

snow

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Esteemed Contributor

I live in upstate NY. December was a gift of mild weather but reality has hit us in January. It's cold, windy, and snowy. I'm getting ready to drive over to the Y and just received a travel warning about slippery roads. It's hard to think about the 3 months of winter we have left up here. My younger daughter swore that after college she was getting out of this cold climate. It took her a few years but she kept her promise and moved to Florida in 2001. My husband and I always get laughs when people find out that we, the retirees, are going to Florida to visit our kids. There's something lopsided about that.

Respected Contributor

When my parents moved to FL for the winters, they used to crack up when they'd see people bundled up at 50 degrees, LOL.  You'd think it was below zero the way people reacted.  Blood gets thinner in the warmer temps, of course, but it's still funny to see that when up north, 50 degrees is considered a very warm winter temp.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James