Trusted Contributor

Re: Sympathy for those of you up north

I'm in the Nothwest, Spokane. 

We're inland of course. Winters her can be long, but very rarely, severe. This year, we've had significant snow, now melting, for the first time, in several years.  We're on the downside of Winter(at least we better be🤓)

To to be honest, I can do Winter, much easier, than high heat, humidity, BUGS, threats of hurricanes, tornado's,  flooding. 

If you can handle Winter, we're very lucky in terms of natural disasters, although no one is immune.  I guess it's what you get used to, and what our own comfort levels are. 

Did I mention, I Hate BUGS🕸🕸🕸🕸🐜🐜🐜🐜🕷🕷🕷🕷🕷🕷

Trusted Contributor

I'm on the West Coast. I thought you meant Oakland, CA, in the Bay area😳

I thought, Whoa, I'll bet snow would cause quite the problems, there! 

Honored Contributor

I am originally from So Cal.  I never saw snow until I was 30 (Lake Tahoe).  I now live outside of Seattle where we have all four seasons but they are mild - I think I like it that way.  I am happy for you who enjoy the cold and snow because it would be the pits if you didn't and you had to live there!  I love the rain which is good since I live here!

Esteemed Contributor

Hi weather watchers.  Check out my photos today in the garden forum from snowy Eastern Canada.  It's not all bad.  It is really nice to be retired and not have any pressure to hit the roads to get to work.

We usually head south for a break especially in a long winter but I know I would never be able to handle 12 months of warm weather.  I love the four seasons.  There is something special about each one.

Wherever you are, I hope life is good!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@marmot24

My husband just came back from our local Giant Eagle and it was packed too.  He said he thought it was strange since the new ads start tomorrow and it being so bitter cold.  Then he had the "ahah" moment and remembered they are calling for snow again late tonight.  

Nothing like the words "snow predicted " that sends people out to the grocery stores.  Or may-be its just the beautiful sunny day. 

bread.jpg

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I am originally from So Cal.  I never saw snow until I was 30 (Lake Tahoe).  I now live outside of Seattle where we have all four seasons but they are mild - I think I like it that way.  I am happy for you who enjoy the cold and snow because it would be the pits if you didn't and you had to live there!  I love the rain which is good since I live here!

I love Seattle!  I've only been through there once, but it stuck in my memory.  I really like the climate, except that I do love COLD and snow.  But, other than that, it's my kind of climate.

Here, in N NV, we used to have really long, cold, snowy winters and over the last 10 years it has really changed a lot to the extent that the period of time it's cold is much shorter and the snow it much less.

Kind of a drag as there was a time, some 25-30 years ago, when I was at a crossroads and considering going back to CA.  I decided to stay here because of how much I loved the really long (like 6 months) period of cold and the BIG snowstorms.   Now, it's a big deal if we get 3" or more of snow.  This winter has started out kind of nice, with some good storms, especially up in the mountains which is important.   

But it still goes back and forth.  Today it's well in the 40s already, at 2pm, and it looks like we'll lose the last of the snow from the last few storms.  Smiley Sad   I loved it when there was snow down for months at a time.

Honored Contributor

Temp was -7 and wind chill was -25 this morning.  It was pretty cold.

Trusted Contributor

well I live on the shores of Lake Erie and it is a wild ride, summers are great, winters have winds whipping off the lake and drifting snow 4 feet high in my yard. Everyone has some kind of weather to deal with. I'd rather deal with that than 100% humidity and steaming heat in Florida in the summer. I can put more clothes on when it's cold but can't step outside and do anything when it's boiling hot.

It was 12 degrees this morning and I went out and shoveled at 6:00 am. I had on my "find" my Kuhl flight jacket, my Lands End Squall, my bomber hat, Bearpaw boots (no socks needed) and heavy gloves. I was sweating by the time I got to the end of the driveway. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma

I always liked this photo for when it snowed! LOL

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom LOL the expression says it all!