Esteemed Contributor

Re: RE: UKRAINE - BEST WAYS TO DONATE?

I donated to Bethany Frankel's B-Strong.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I am thinking of all the animals that are left ,with no one to take care of them,  they can not take care of them selves, a maine company ,is making ukraine flags ,to show your support,just adding that thought.

@goldensrbest You have a big heart but remember animals forage and make out in the wild and chaotic situations far better than people do.  They are more able to roam, get to safer places, find shelter and make do with small scraps and hunt than us old humans.  And I think people will share with them as the can.  Like you would!  

So maybe that will help you feel a little better?  Dogs and cats are not too far from living in the wild and are SMART!    Animals are far better able to survive outside than people.

It is heatbreaking the whole situation.  I can't even begin to imagine.  Well, yes I can imagine but it is horrible.  I'm just trying to help you feel better about the furry ones. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I am positive several have good answers to my question.  

Much of what I've seen for how to help the people of Ukraine has been a little haphazard, or maybe I haven't been paying attention. 

So ...........

Where are you donating if you have done so .... or if you haven't donated, where would you do so if you did?

I don't want to get involved in products getting from one place to another ... I want to donate CASH to whatever agency is handing these things the best ....  

What's your take on this?  

@Tinkrbl44 in NJ, on the state website, legitimate charities which have been vetted are listed.  We have a large Ukrainian population here so the Ukrainian Cathedral and Ukrainian Culural Center are accepting the donations.  I looked thru the list and they are in dire need for medical supplies with hospitals being bombed or lack of safe access.  

Maybe your state website will have the same. 

I also gave to Samaritan's Purse which is working from Moldova with refugees.  But,  many prefer not to give to religious organizations. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday, my husband and I brought bags of clothing and needed items to the Ukrainian national home. The line was so long, they had to have the police directing traffic. The emotional and physical outpour of support was very heartwarming. This is a horrific, unbelievably awful war. Not only do we pray for the Ukrainian people every day in our own way I think we all try to help them. I wish there was a monetary donation that was set up for them that was legitimate  and easy to find.

Respected Contributor

I agree with @Sooner about the animals able to take care of themselves.

As a caution, I've read unsavory things about Red Cross and GoFundMe and would not trust any government/political avenue (ie affiliated with the UN). Knowing who not to give to is also valuable info.

Esteemed Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Don't forget our furry friends need donations too. To many animals in need of food and supplies.

Save Pets of Ukraine is one. I'm sure there are others.

@Meowingkitty - I just saw a story that a Ukrainian woman escaped with her eight Yorkies.  The reporter stated that many Ukrainians took their pets not only because they loved them but they also give them comfort as this terrible time.  

Honored Contributor

I donated to Heart to Heart International so far. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Through:

Church

Samaritan's Purse 

Operation Blessing has boots already on the ground!

@goldensrbest 

Some of the animal organizations I havent heard of...and want help them but I want to make sure the money goes to help the animals....anyone know a reputable organization

JMHO if animals could forage for themselves why would all these cities and animal organizations be established all over the U.S. to care for animals without homes that are starving and need of care....these are domisticated animals.....a cat might find an occasional mouse/rat but not enough to sustain them long term and considering the number of animals turned loose too

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

Samaritans Purse would be my first choice. They are already on the ground there...and have field hospitals fully equipped to treat and comfort the sick and wounded. ICU, triage, etc. You can be sure all of your money goes directly to their mission. I will be poofed if I comment on United Way or UNICEF in any specifics, but they would be my last choice. Be sure and do research and give to those organizations that can guarantee your money will go to the place you desire...not to other causes elsewhere. Your local church or other faith-related groups are sending people and supplies so they would appreciate any help. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stray wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Don't forget our furry friends need donations too. To many animals in need of food and supplies.

Save Pets of Ukraine is one. I'm sure there are others.

@Meowingkitty - I just saw a story that a Ukrainian woman escaped with her eight Yorkies.  The reporter stated that many Ukrainians took their pets not only because they loved them but they also give them comfort as this terrible time.  

Exactly.

One yorkie just died and perhaps his yorkie companion also.  One directly from bombing, the other may have (story yet unconfirmed) because he didn't survive the amputation of his foot.

And some here think that they'll forage and survive. SMH.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.