Esteemed Contributor

If I may ask, how much money do you give for graduation?

My oldest granddaughter is graduating. I have been planning to give her 150 to 200 dollars. My best friend (with 5 grandkids) said are you kidding me? She gave her grandkids 100.

Well, I have 3 granddaughters (the one graduating being the oldest), and I think this way. They visit me and spend days in the Summer here and weekends and we do things around the house or go for ice cream, pizza, or movies,  but I was never able to buy them things all year while they were growing up, like a lot of grandparents. I am also not able to be as active and go hiking with them or drive them to the pool or take them on trips etc. (like my friend has with hers)

(They dont care, they just like to spend time with me, but it always bothered me). So I always splurge on them at birthdays and Christmas time instead! And I thought 150 or 200 is good to give for graduation. Afterall, one only graduates from high school once! Yes?

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

Re: If I may ask, how much money do you give for graduation?

You should give her whatever you are comfortable financially giving. It really doesn't matter how much you spend during the year, etc. She will appreciate that it's a gift from your heart; the amount is less consequential in my opinion. 

Trusted Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

You should give her whatever you are comfortable financially giving. It really doesn't matter how much you spend during the year, etc. She will appreciate that it's a gift from your heart; the amount is less consequential in my opinion. 

This~~~the perfect answer.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shorty2U, a generous gift.  A special occasion.  She will appreciate it.

Respected Contributor

My husband and I were just talking about that yesterday. Our grandson graduates Sunday and not sure how much to give him. Considering we paid most of his tuition bills each month,not cheap, He went to BC High. I said probably around $200-$250. He is a great kid and graduating with high honors. Off to Syracuse in the Fall with almost a full scholarship, but he will need spending money of course. $200 seems appropriate to me, but it all depends on what you can afford.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What you can afford.  

Honored Contributor

It depends on how much I like the graduate.    

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Only you know the amount you are comfortable giving, and it should be the amount you want to and can afford to give, period. Your friends and relatives don't get a vote when it comes to your personal giving.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Regular Contributor

Well Shorty2U, let me give a different perspective.......

I've passed through HS and college, and my wedding.   I had a great relationship with both sets of grandparents.   I couldn't remotely tell you "how much" I received from either set on any one occasion.  But I DO remember......

My Grandfather building me a special case for my doll clothes;

My Grandmother teaching me to bake bread (and my Grandfather for eating it and saying "yum..almost as good as your Grandmother's" --- and so very much encouraging my small heart);

My Grandmother teaching me a love of all books;

My Grandmother teaching me about plants;

My Grandfather teaching me to dance standing on top of his toes;

My Grandfather trusting me to drive him to doctor's appointments;

Long discussions (with any of them) regarding hopes, dreams, small hurts, expectations, and achievements;

The smile on their faces and love in their eyes whenever they looked at me.

It sounds to me like you're already the Grandmother they love and that's the best you can ask for.

Honored Contributor

Of course the amount depends on a number of things, like your relationship to the graduate (usually more money to a child or grand child than to a neighbor etc.), how hard they worked and achieved during high school (sorry, but if a kid really worked hard, and achieved to the best of their ability, it warrants more than the kid who barley passed and didn't utilize the educational opportunities offered), and mostly your financial ability.

My son graduated last year, and was 3rd in his class. He had lots of awards and achievements and had a very successful high school 'career'. My mom, who is not of great means, saved for over a year, to be able to give him $500. I thought that was very generous. She only has three grandchildren, so this isn't something she was going to have to do to be fair to a large number of kids (as that is something to consider, if you do for one, the others will be expecting the same).

I have seen some kids that come from families that even $50 here and there is considered a splurge, and others who's kids rake in thousands and thousands of dollars just for high school graduation.

I think the amount you have chosen is very generous, and I'd not feel I had to 'keep up' with other's standards (although it is nice to get feedback here and see what others experiences are).