Honored Contributor

Re: If I may ask, how much money do you give for graduation?

So far it has only been graduating nephews from HS, and we gave $100 each to them.  My oldest GD is only 7, so I am sure by the time she graduates, if we are still alive, LOL, it would be more than that!

Esteemed Contributor

Going to my granddaughters college graduation Tuesday.  Thinking about this myself.  I gave up trying to give gifts that wrap up in packages.  I was thinking of giving a gift card from Amazon and let her pick out what she wanted.  Now that you brought this up, I migh give money instead.  Got me thinking that I need a card as well.

Honored Contributor

My grandparents gave me a car for my High School graduation because they felt I  would need it to come back & forth from Nursing school. It was a 3 year old Dodge dart that my grandfather owned and lovingly cared for since it was new. After I graduated I drove it for about 5 more years.

Respected Contributor

My granddaughter is graduating high school this year. We will give her 700.00. We have five grandchildren. She is the last one!!! Gave them all the same. College graduate next year. What then? My husband came up with the 700.00 figure. We can afford it but I think it is too much. You do it for the first one and you do it for all. College girl???  My feeling now is do not start with too high a figure.

Honored Contributor

@wilma wrote:

We have no kids or grandkids. We just gave our neice $100 for 8th grade graduation. We paid her tuition for 9 years so she could attend a Catholic school. My nephew is graduating public high school next weekend. We will probably give him a bit more since it is high school graduation. Everyone should give what they feel comfortable giving depending on your relationship with the student and your financial resources. 

@wilma

This is the most wonderful thing I've heard in a long while.

As the parent of a child that we put through private school, I can say we sacrificed a lot to do so, as it requires more than just the tuition, many times. The extra supplies, events, projects, trips, plays, concerts, costumes etc. in many private schools is expensive. So the fact that you picked up that tuition is simply amazing, and such a blessing.

Such a wonderful investment in a child's future. And so much better than having spoiled them with 'things'.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@wilma wrote:

We have no kids or grandkids. We just gave our neice $100 for 8th grade graduation. We paid her tuition for 9 years so she could attend a Catholic school. My nephew is graduating public high school next weekend. We will probably give him a bit more since it is high school graduation. Everyone should give what they feel comfortable giving depending on your relationship with the student and your financial resources. 

@wilma

This is the most wonderful thing I've heard in a long while.

As the parent of a child that we put through private school, I can say we sacrificed a lot to do so, as it requires more than just the tuition, many times. The extra supplies, events, projects, trips, plays, concerts, costumes etc. in many private schools is expensive. So the fact that you picked up that tuition is simply amazing, and such a blessing.

Such a wonderful investment in a child's future. And so much better than having spoiled them with 'things'.

@Mominohio

Thank you for your kind words. We feel very blessed to be able to help her. 

Trusted Contributor

$1000 for my niece who graduates from university next month.

Respected Contributor

My daughter is graduating from high school in a couple of weeks, and she was absolutely thrilled to get $100 from one set of grandparents. Her other grandmother (step) is paying for a trip to visit her in CT (across the country), including sightseeing in NYC, etc. My daughter is extremely thankful for both gifts.

Trusted Contributor

I have over two dozen nieces and nephews, including steps. The older ones got $25 from me since I was not much older than some of them.  As I got older and more financially stable, I was able to give $100 each to the younger ones. Now we're on to the great nieces and nephews, and there are a couple dozen of them. I have dediced to cut back to $50.  The oldest great niece graduates this year, but this particular one I want to give a little more to.  She has spent a lot of time with me since she was very young.  I'm going to put $50 in a card but slip her another $50 privately.  

Honored Contributor

I have a niece and nephew graduating in the next few weeks.  $100 for each.