Honored Contributor

Re: If I may ask, how much money do you give for graduation?

As much as I can afford and who that person is to me. Family is different but kids of friends/ aquantances I don't give more than $25.

Honored Contributor

As others have said, you give what you can afford.

If it were my GD, I'd give her a  piece of jewelry that she can have forever.  She will always remember you gave it to her in honor of her graduation.

I'd commit to a monthly college allowance, as I know college kids always need spending money.

Respected Contributor

I think that amount sounds fine.  I would give my grandson about the same.

Honored Contributor

Your thought is lovely.  Your granddaughter can buy things for college if she has plans to go.  

Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U   Give what you can afford to give, we always gave one hundred dollars because thats what we could afford. If I could afford one thousand dollars I would give it without hesitation. No matter what our politicians say, high school graduation is a big deal and a great accomplishment for most of us regular folks. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Graduation...'what a wonderful time and age'.....

I believe from reading almost each post, that one's budget is the answer to OP"s questionable ,,,,,,,

This is _not_ 20 years ago, so a small amount doesn't go far. 

If in our immediate family, and I would think, here, more are..{budging pending for EVERYONE}..

$200.00- $500.00 is a friendly but not so hefty that's it something to be stingy about.

Think back to when 'YOU' graduated.

"also there is a ~somewhat~ variance graduating gift from high school , than from College::: GRADUATE degree, Masters or Doctorate"

I do not believe that we have ever been sent any reservation seating for a friend's child or casual neighbor. If so, then a very meaningful card and $50.00.

Many will have plenty of student loans to repay, so for all those difficult and long hours, 'gee', don't pinch pennies ...(IF YOU CAN AFFORD) ....._$$ IT $$_. 

4, 6. and 8 years is wonderful in achieving such a hard earned, well deserved diploma or degree. 

Think young -not an old tight .......'don't touch the money' Woman Indifferent living for your getting old retirement to rescue you to the very end.  

Budget pending, here, again!

Wouldn't you be elated to have some mad money to spend? Again, think young at heart.

NAES

Honored Contributor

When our granddaugter graduated several years ago we gave her $300.00..but we give very little for birthdays and Christmas is always a 'set' amount. We felt the urge to splurge on graduation.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the replies. I was just curious. And I agree with what some posted, she will remember me for the memories we made together. We are very close. All of my grandkids and I are close as I have watched them part time in Summers since they were born and then the visits and sleepovers etc etc etc. They are a big part of my life.

And in my eyes she deserves more money. She is indeed a high honors student who studied very hard. She is going to go to college to be a Nutritionist.

But everyones right, I have to settle on what I can afford (thus the 150 to 200).

PS) I just thought, when I graduated (in the stone age lol). I remember having a big party given by my parents, and I got a set of blue luggage from my parents. (To use on all my shore trips).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

We have no kids or grandkids. We just gave our neice $100 for 8th grade graduation. We paid her tuition for 9 years so she could attend a Catholic school. My nephew is graduating public high school next weekend. We will probably give him a bit more since it is high school graduation. Everyone should give what they feel comfortable giving depending on your relationship with the student and your financial resources. 

Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U

My brother and I were just discussing this.  My BF and I have 10 nieces/nephews combined, and so between bar/bat mitzvahs and graduations, there is something big every year.

One brother has one child and the other brother  has four.  The only child brother and I are going to give each of the 4 nieces/nephews the same dollar amount, from both of us in one card.  We figure that since they are stairstep kids, over the next decade we will have 4 HS graduations and 4 college graduations, so we are going to do the same amount for each kid/graduation.  The oldest niece is graduating HS next week, but is not attending a four year college next year.  Had she enrolled in one, I probably would have committed to mailing her some "just because" cash throughout the year to treat herself.  I think we are going to do $125 each (we are both long distance from the four nieces/nephews).    

HTH