Valued Contributor

Re: If I may ask, how much money do you give for graduation?

@forest4thetrees...That is one of the most beautiful things I have ever read.  How special your grandparents were to you and how much you loved them for loving you so much.

Just so heart warming.

Honored Contributor

We've received several announcements from some very casual acquaintances.  My husband wants me to send money.  I hardly know these people, and I've never met the graduate. 

What do all of you think?  Do you give and if so how much? 

I"m a bit "over" these announcements and party invites for people we hardly know.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

@winamac1, if I hardly knew the parents and had never met the child, I would send a card with an effusive congratulatory statement, no money. I am so disturbed by gift grabs.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

@winamac1, if I hardly knew the parents and had never met the child, I would send a card with an effusive congratulatory statement, no money. I am so disturbed by gift grabs.

Thanks

My husband wants to go.   I don't know these people, and he doesn't even know the father of the girl very well.  

Thanks.  If he wants to go, I'll have to send a card with something!  

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

OUR son graduated Saturday. He was thrilled to receive $100 from my 89 year old daddy who BTW was able to come thanks to my sister who brought him. He also was thrilled to receive $50 from my sister and another $50 from my bff.

So I have a question. My nephew graduates in June, we were invited to his party but we have plans already so we can't go. We invited my brother his dad to our son's they couldn't make it they haven't sent even a card. So what do we do not send anything either?

Honored Contributor

@MaRina JMO - If it were me, I'd send a gift to my nephew.  Graduation is a big deal, a big achievement. I wouldn't punish the graduate because his parents have bad manners.  And congrats to your son! 

Respected Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@MaRina JMO - If it were me, I'd send a gift to my nephew.  Graduation is a big deal, a big achievement. I wouldn't punish the graduate because his parents have bad manners.  And congrats to your son! 

Thanks MJ12 you make a good point. You don't think by sending something it would make my brother feel bad, I don't want to hurt his feelings. I feel torn! 

Respected Contributor

It depends on how old your grandaughter is, and what type of a person she is.  Unfortunately kids today are really spoiled and unappreciative, everything has to have a label or they won't wear it or use it.  My niece's kids never even bother with a thank you in a text much less a card...but the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.  I'm seriously considering to stop all gift giving.  All year long I hear about how they go shopping every weekend, they all get manicure/pedicures each weekend (seriously, 11 & 14 year olds), they go out to eat, etc.  What irks me is that my neice always cries poverty.  They really don't derserve any type of gift.

Gift what is right for your pocketbook and age appropriate for the grandchild.