Respected Contributor

Re: Holy smokes....window salesman just walked out!!

Sounds a little like the window guy who came to our house. Rude and pushy.

Honored Contributor

@ID2..there is no reason I would emblish this story...it happened  as I posted.

Esteemed Contributor

If this had happened to me I would need a sincere apology and a free kitchen window or that saleman's job would be mine. But that is just my m.o.

Ironically on the same day you experienced this incident I "called out" a contactor on social media for lack of professionalism in contacting me. I felt I was doing my part by posting a PSA, letting others know of any potential problems. She immediately apologized, giving what I considered a rather lame excuse which made me even angrier. Never let it be said I won't have the last word and clearly stated the error of her ways for all to see.😊

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs  I understand your kindness but I would at the minimum send an email (anonymous if you wish) to the company and just politely say that you had an in home estimate encounter with one of their salespeople in this area that quickly became unprofessional. 

You wanted to bring it to someone's attention because foul language was used and while you were able to handle it in the presence of your husband, another customer may not be so forgiving or fortunate.

My concern is that you need to let someone know they have an employee who may have had a really bad day at best or may have a true anger problem at worst.  You can even say you are looking for nothing other than to make them aware of a potential employee issue that may need to be counseled on their part so it doesn't happen to someone else.

Protect your neighbor.  I live alone and if, all of a sudden, I had a man in my home screaming vulgarity at me I would be scared to death and I am a tough cookie.  The employer needs to know. 

I have worked in customer service my whole career and as angry as I have gotten on rare occasions with idiots (not that you were one and it doesn't matter) I have never and would never curse at someone.  It's just flat out wrong in the scope of any job and belies a dangerous character issue when someone gives themselves permission to act like that especially in someone's home.  The correct response was I think I need to have someone else help you or I don't think we are the company for you.   Period.

Your choice but please send an email to corporate or the local company website at minimum.  Someone that unhappy with what they do will be blessed to find themselves doing something else.        

Honored Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

Why would someone saying that you have “basic” windows irritate you?

Probably because they know better, and had them installed.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

He was rude so you were rude in return by telling so. 

ANd that is what we need to do more of. Rude behavior, especially in this kind of business transaction/setting, needs to be met with the same. 

If people don't stand up and give back what they are getting from people, those people keep getting away with their inappropriate behavior.

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

There has to be more to this, I'm wondering if the salesman has his own complaints? 

Based on some of the service people I've encountered, I would not assume this in the least. 

We had a roofer here, that stood in our front yard for hours, screaming at his crew, using the F work over and over, as well as a slew of other profanities.

I asked him about the ice guard barrier they put near the gutters, and asked if it would be something we could have done to the entire roof, as well as several other questions about replacing the plywood with marine grade wood etc. 

He kept telling me "I don't do that on millionaire's homes, you don't need it". 

I didn't ask him what he thought I needed, I asked him what it would cost to do those things, and if the products were available to do so. I couldn't fire him as we tried every roofer in our area, and he was the only one available for months, it was November in Ohio, and the roof was already leaking.

I once had a carpet installer come in and positively comment on a curio cabinet I have (oak with beveled glass and claw feet). I thanked him. When he went to move it, he expected it to be heavy, but it is actually a reproduction piece and not that heavy. As he went to help move it, he said, "Oh, this isn't heavy, it's a new piece of junk furniture". 

Really? I reported him to the store we bought the carpet from before he was out of the driveway.

The contractor type business is full of men (in this area anyway) that don't keep jobs, go from one company to another, and have some real prize attitudes.

We have practically rebuilt this home in the last 25 years, and some of the rude, crude, idiots that have come here to give quotes or do work is beyond believeable. 

I'm told it is because we are rural, with the nearest city not being more than 50,000 people, so we don't have much of a selection. 

My take on it is we have so much of it because people let them get away with it. 

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@JaneMarple....

He had an attitude from the get go.  He was lucky he was not asked to leave before we invited him to sit down and discuss the window.  We were respectful of him...I asked to see the window, it was the salesman who got up, swore at us and walked out...

Clearly this guy should not have cursed at you and it does seem that he acted unprofessionally.  So I'm not totally defending him.

However, my take on it is this:  You say he was lucky he wasn't asked to leave.  If you were so unhappy, why didn't you just ask him to leave?  "Thanks, we're no longer interested", and then walk him to the door.  You say in this post that you were respectful, but in the first post, by your own admission, you told him he was rude and criticicized the way he was conducting business, and I doubt you said that calmly.  You called him rude first, so you started the name-calling.  A firm, "Thanks, but no thanks" would have been the better way to go.

Of course he tried to get as much business from you as possible.  That's what salesmen do.  Yes, he was wrong to insult the windows you already had, but you can't really be surprised that he tried to sell you more than you had originally wanted.

For sure he was in the wrong, in more ways than one.  But the ill-will didn't start and accelerate all on its own.  From what you wrote in your OP, it seems that you played a part in it too.  Just my take on it.

P.S.  Forgot to mention that I would call to complain about this guy, but I understand being fearful of retribution.

None of us were there, but even if the op or any homeowner isn't exactly overflowing with praise and kindness, the sales person should be trained in ways to try to turn the situation to the positive.

The OP says the company knew right from the beginning they only wanted the one window, so a company really focusing on customer service might have made one attempt to offer/suggest other windows, and when they declined, move on to the job they were brought there to quote. 

Companies don't seem to understand that a small first sale, with good service, product and results, will often lead to many more interactions and sales from a customer, than that hard sell and pushy, off putting attitude. 

Regardless of how rude any customer might be to a sales person, they should never swear and carry on the way this one supposedly did. Simply stating that he is sorry he couldn't assist them with their project to their needs, and excusing himself would be the proper business behavior.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

He was rude so you were rude in return by telling so. 

ANd that is what we need to do more of. Rude behavior, especially in this kind of business transaction/setting, needs to be met with the same. 

If people don't stand up and give back what they are getting from people, those people keep getting away with their inappropriate behavior.

@Mominohio

I disagree. They are not “getting away with it”. They are not getting the sale, their time was wasted and that speaks volumes w/o calling the boss (if there is one) and tattling 

Respected Contributor

I think I would wait a bit then contact the company and ask them did "they" not advise the representative the appointment was for one window only, reminding them you had made it clear initially.  I'd put it back on them.

I would tell them if their company was not interested in doing a single window replacement they should have told you that at your original phone call.  It was a waste of everyone's time and led to an uncomfortable encounter for all involved.  At that point, I would advise of the untoward language.