QVC Customer Care

Re: Holy smokes....window salesman just walked out!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs, that infuriates me. I wouldn't just call the company and complain, I'd call the better business bureau. I'm sorry that happened to you.

Trusted Contributor

@scatcat  

Tattle tale. Good grief. Reporting someone for aberrant behavior is hardly tattling.  Sounds like an urban code of conduct, don't see don't tell. 

Respected Contributor

I'd call the store and let them know what happened. Regardless of how it escalated, the salesman wasn't cool.

Someone upthread suggested you call Lowes. I second that. We had a Renewal by Anderson salesman give us an estimate (and we got the same-  your windows are generic, you should replace them all, this is an investment- sales pitch). I almost fainted when I saw the price.. Lowe gave us great windows at 1/2 the cost and didn't push us to replace every one. 

Honored Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

@scatcat  

Tattle tale. Good grief. Reporting someone for aberrant behavior is hardly tattling.  Sounds like an urban code of conduct, don't see don't tell. 

I do not believe I would want someone representing my Company and collecting a salary or commission while treating people poorly in their on homes.  He needs to reported to his superiors and the company.  This does not fall under the situation of "Mom he/she keeps fill in the blank, me." 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@NYC Susan....I did not mention his rudeness until the very end of his visit...I was still interested in seeing the window, got up to open the front door so he could get the sample window, but then he got up and said he was leaving because we were rude...I had asked to see the window and the next thing he was walking out the door along with a few choice words.

Never did I or my husband raise our voices.

=======

With just one window involved, I doubt it the company will be concerned that you found their top salesman rude. I wouldn't contact anyone at that company and move on to the next one on your list. Having just replaced all our windows six weeks ago, he prepared for long pitches. I chose the company with a soft sell approach.

Honored Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

He was rude so you were rude in return by telling so. 

ANd that is what we need to do more of. Rude behavior, especially in this kind of business transaction/setting, needs to be met with the same. 

If people don't stand up and give back what they are getting from people, those people keep getting away with their inappropriate behavior.

@Mominohio

I disagree. They are not “getting away with it”. They are not getting the sale, their time was wasted and that speaks volumes w/o calling the boss (if there is one) and tattling 

Reporting inappropriate business behavior and vulgar language in your home by a representative of that business is not tattling. 

This employee is possibly volatile enough to be dangerous. His employer needs to know that and he needs to stop being sent to people's homes if he can't control himself any better than that.

I do understand people being afraid of repercussions, and that is for each to decide based on their own comfort level, but I'd take my chances. Somebody has to stand up, but it can't always be someone else.

Honored Contributor

several years ago we needed our roof replaced. We called several roofers to come and give price.

all came. One wanted to tramp all over the house inside. I asked him to take off his shoes, or get those booties. He wouldn’t do it, and walked out of the house and drove away.

we did replace the roof with one of the people who did give us a quote.

I remember that guy who drove away telling me he didn’t want my business.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Windows installed properly will not leak provided you apply outdoor use caulking around them as a final step. 

I LOVE (no, I truly don’t!) the people who ring your doorbell who are ‘in the neighborhood’ on another job (oh really?  then how come I don’t see your truck or vehicle?) I had one guy giving me his spiel & he started commenting about my Andersen windows needing replacement! He started commenting about the caulking! I said the windows are fine, so is the caulk & we have no problems! I ended up saying goodbye & shutting the door in his face.

We have done many projects on our house & property & I always research everything before hiring someone. Fortunately, we have been working with a general contractor we have used & known for close to 25 years & he is now the general contractor hiring the professionals needed to build an attached garage now for us. After working with someone for this long a period of time, you know what needs to be done, & know when someone (like the guy who rang our doorbell) is snowing you or dazzling you with BS! 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@JaneMarple....

He had an attitude from the get go.  He was lucky he was not asked to leave before we invited him to sit down and discuss the window.  We were respectful of him...I asked to see the window, it was the salesman who got up, swore at us and walked out...

Clearly this guy should not have cursed at you and it does seem that he acted unprofessionally.  So I'm not totally defending him.

However, my take on it is this:  You say he was lucky he wasn't asked to leave.  If you were so unhappy, why didn't you just ask him to leave?  "Thanks, we're no longer interested", and then walk him to the door.  You say in this post that you were respectful, but in the first post, by your own admission, you told him he was rude and criticicized the way he was conducting business, and I doubt you said that calmly.  You called him rude first, so you started the name-calling.  A firm, "Thanks, but no thanks" would have been the better way to go.

Of course he tried to get as much business from you as possible.  That's what salesmen do.  Yes, he was wrong to insult the windows you already had, but you can't really be surprised that he tried to sell you more than you had originally wanted.

For sure he was in the wrong, in more ways than one.  But the ill-will didn't start and accelerate all on its own.  From what you wrote in your OP, it seems that you played a part in it too.  Just my take on it.

P.S.  Forgot to mention that I would call to complain about this guy, but I understand being fearful of retribution.

None of us were there, but even if the op or any homeowner isn't exactly overflowing with praise and kindness, the sales person should be trained in ways to try to turn the situation to the positive.

The OP says the company knew right from the beginning they only wanted the one window, so a company really focusing on customer service might have made one attempt to offer/suggest other windows, and when they declined, move on to the job they were brought there to quote. 

Companies don't seem to understand that a small first sale, with good service, product and results, will often lead to many more interactions and sales from a customer, than that hard sell and pushy, off putting attitude. 

Regardless of how rude any customer might be to a sales person, they should never swear and carry on the way this one supposedly did. Simply stating that he is sorry he couldn't assist them with their project to their needs, and excusing himself would be the proper business behavior.

I said that he was out of line for cursing, and I also said that he was unprofessional.

My point, however, is that the OP didn't like his sales approach, so she got upset, criticized him, and told him he was rude.  He then called her rude, and it escalated from there.  Again, I'm not excusing him, but I feel that she did contribute by not simply terminating the appointment.  Once you start name-calling and criticizing, you can't be surprised if you get that back.  Yes, he was pushy and he was a hot-head.  Even more reason to just be civil and part ways.  "We're no longer interested.  I'll show you out."