Trusted Contributor

Re: Holy smokes....window salesman just walked out!!

I actually threw a home improvement salesman out of my house once!  We were shopping for new siding and he was giving us a bunch of double talk.  Starting off with a high price, and then dropping it...saying he was giving us a special deal.  And on, and on....for about 20 minutes.

When I had had enough, I asked him if he had ever seen the movie Tin Men (about aluminum siding scams in the 1950's, with Danny DeVito).  He said "no."  I said he could have just stepped out of the movie, and he could now leave.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

Sometimes a company can be run under 3 different names. I had that happen when I went to get a new furnace years ago. And didn't want the same company as last time but it was the same company under 3 different names.. Call the Better Business Bureau first on purchasing any thing with expense.Be safe, not sorry. Glad I did about some carpet I was looking to purchase, and it was a mean and rude sales person, he wanted to ring up the sale and have me sign papers before the total was applied. And I wouldn't do it so he threw his briefcase down on my brand new coffee table, so I ask him to leave my home. I called and cancelled any sale with them, and found out that they were under suspision by the law per my call to the better business bureau.

Valued Contributor

I had a rude encounter with a photographer after my son was born. The offer was an 8 by 10 portrait free. So I took him up on that. He came to the house was very pleasant and took the pictures. When he returned to show me the pictures I picked out my freebie and said thank you Well be continued to badger me to purchase a large package. Finally hhee said well this is what will happen to your sons other pictures . He began to rip the pictures up at my kitchen table. I stood up and said I have chossn my freebie please go now. He was furious and continued to rip up the proofs.I sent him on his way. I did receive my freebie in a few weeks. It was a great picture. Em

Respected Contributor

He will make problems for himself. Be careful. This world is really scary at times. He is surely doing this to others. I am almost sure of it.That company won't last long.

Respected Contributor

And the worst part is the company probally is on it's last leg and that could be problems in the future if you have problems with the window and they are out of business.

Respected Contributor

I saw that movie. Just talked about it the other afternoon. Weird you brought that up. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

We had a local company come to the house today to give a quote on just one window....it is above the kitchen sink and I cannot open and close it with out hurting my back.  I was very clear that we wanted just one window, preferably a crank out or slider.  The windows in our house were  replaced roughly 20 years ago.

The salesman showed up on time, came in and started in on how our windows were just 'basic' windows probably from Menards...wrong...so right off the bat he irratated me...he also talked very fast.  He went on with his presentation...again letting us know that our windows are just basic....

I asked to see a window sample and he continued on with his pitch....I honestly don't know what happened next, I did get up to open the door so he could retrieve the window from his car but at some point I told him he was rude and to quit putting down what we had and he said he was not being rude and the next thing you know he said...I think I will leave, you people are ..he used the 'f' word...rude....and on the way out let out a few more choice words!!!

We were stunned....he was rude but I still intended to get a price from the company...if only for comparison.    Oh and as he left the drive way he honked his horn!

I think one window was not worth his time and he also let us know he was their top salesperson, with his attitude I cannot believe anyone would purchase anything from him.  Just had to vent, thanks!!

They don,t want to do one window.  I had same experience, except for the foul language.  The standard is to tell you that what you have is not up to par.  Also, the guy said my new window could leak like the one that needed replacing. My son brought the window at Home Depot and installed it and no leakage this last winter.  They also bid high when they don,t want the job.

Honored Contributor

Well, if he's their top salesman, you sure you want to work with them?  He may own or it may be a family company.  He has some growing up to do.

Honored Contributor

I think I would go to Home Depot or Lowes, choose what you want and have them install it.

We need to replace our storm door, the hinges sprung and since they are part of the actual door they can't be taken off and replaced.

We are going to have them install it.

Normally my husband would do it but we only have a Sentra and don't know anyone with a van or SUV so would need to rent one of their trucks to get it home and even though they advertise $19.99 for 75 minutes by the time they add all the fees and taxes it would probably be closer to $50-60. 

They charge $127 to deliver and install it so I asked him if the aggravation and time it would take was worth saving $75 and he agreed to let them do it.

Honored Contributor

I wish we could hear the salemans side of this story.Theres seems to be a lot more than what the OP is willing to reveal. 

"Pure Michigan"