Esteemed Contributor

Re: Holy smokes....window salesman just walked out!!

@AuntG wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@NYC Susan....I did not mention his rudeness until the very end of his visit...I was still interested in seeing the window, got up to open the front door so he could get the sample window, but then he got up and said he was leaving because we were rude...I had asked to see the window and the next thing he was walking out the door along with a few choice words.

Never did I or my husband raise our voices.

=======

With just one window involved, I doubt it the company will be concerned that you found their top salesman rude. I wouldn't contact anyone at that company and move on to the next one on your list. Having just replaced all our windows six weeks ago, he prepared for long pitches. I chose the company with a soft sell approach.

I agree that you absolutely have to be prepared for long pitches and every sales tactic they can come up with.  A surprising amount of people are won over and talked into buying more than they had intended and spending a lot more money than they had planned. 

Personally, I have no patience for pushy people - pushy salespeople in particular - and they always have the opposite of their desired effect because it totally dissuades me from buying from them.  A soft-sell approach wins me over every time.

Honored Contributor

If the salesman thought he was going to convince us to purchase more than what we wanted/needed he was very wrong...I knew purchasing one window was probably not the norm and was very clear about what we wanted in terms of a quote.

I am not on facebook but managed to find a photo of the owner of the company along with this 'salesman' being presented an award for being their top seller....I also found a couple of posts about a pushy salesperson on their staff...so the company knows about this guy.

Honored Contributor

This story reminds me of something that happened to DH and I about 13-14 years ago when we were doing work on our home (the historic one that was a money pit).

We needed a shower (JUST the shower) re-done because it leaked. Actually, it created a waterfall into the kitchen anytime it was used. Long story short, due to age all the parts were no longer available and we didn't want to spend $80,000 on construction to redo a master bath, master closet, hallway, etc (one project meant at least 4 more in that house due to age and building codes).  It was another contractor (who I really liked) that suggested those companies that re-do your bath/shower by placing a liner over the whole thing: BathFitter.

We called, spoke to a CS rep and arranged for a salesperson to come out when DH and I were both there. We told the CS rep we wanted a quote for 1 shower and that was all. Guy showed up at 7 pm. Kids were in bed. 

NIGHTMARE.

He looked at the shower and then proceeded to give us a LONG and I mean LONG sales spiel. Had to watch the video he brought. NO QUOTE until we listened to it all. Almost 2 HOURS LATER we had our quote; nope, too much. Thank you, have a good night. He wouldn't leave. He began going on how his time was valuable as well and these calls were not just for lookie-Lous and it was expected that we WOULD sign a contract. I'm sitting there looking at DH thinking "THROW HIM OUT". Honestly? I was kinda scared that this guy was going to do something because he was ****** that we didn't want to sign a sales contract. He mentioned his boss expects XYZ in sales numbers and his job would be on the line and on and on he went.

FInally, DH says, quietly "leave this house or I'm calling the police". He takes out his phone and begins to dial the non-emergency number; on speaker. We hear the county operator come on and DH informs the operator that we have an individual who is refusing to leave our property, we have young children, etc. The salesman begins to swear loudly, making threats and DH says quietly, "you hear this, correct? The threats he's making?" The operator informs us that there is a squad car in the community and is directing them to our home now and did he want her to stay on the line until they arrive? DH said yes and at that point, the guy grabs his stuff and moves swiftly out of our house, to his car and speeds off just as the squad car comes up our street. 

Total time of dealing with that person: 3 hours.

We told the police what happened, told them no, we don't need them to go after him, and thank you VERY much for coming by. DH, while walking around as the salesperson was going on and on, had compiled everything about the car (make, color, tag #) and had made sure to gather papers and the guys card. The next day, he had his secretary draft an official letter containing all that information as well as what happened the night before plus the names of the officers who came by and sent it signature required.

A few days later, the owner of the franchise called, apologizing profusely, and asked what he could do to rectify the situation. DH said to fire the man. Not going to happen as he was their best salesperson. DH informed he we would tell every person we knew what happened and to avoid doing business with the company. Have a nice day and goodbye.

And, we did. About 3 years later, new neighbors of my in-laws had a coupon from BathFitters and called for a quote. They gave the couple the name of the salesman when the appointment was made. By SHEER luck, the wife mentioned it to my FIL a few days later. He went and got the name of the man we had dealt with that night: SAME guy. They called back and cancelled the appointment. 

I often wonder how many people he scared into signing a deal. Then again, perhaps this how the company trains their people; I don't know. One thing's for sure: we'll never forget the company or the guy.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam....wow what an experience...

We were thinking of having bathfitter re do the bath in my bathroom, now I am not sure what to do...we would NEVER sign a contract on the spot if that is what they expect, thanks for sharing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a furniture saleswoman curse at me at a furniture store once.  Haverties.

You know how when you walk in, they tag you and want to be your best friend and shadow you as you walk around the store?  She tagged me.  I took her card, I said I was just starting my search, this was the first place I have been to so far in person.  I had been looking online and am not committed to a style or color or anything right now.  Just looking for ideas to see what feels good to me.

All this time, I am walking and talking to her.  I'm looking at stuff and explaining what my reason for being here is.

She proceeds to start asking me questions about what I have now and I stop her and say that I appreciate her interest, and if I find something I want or have a question about, I will come find her.

She turns in a huff and says "people like you should stick to online shopping."

So, being a hot headed Sicilian from New York, I cannot let this go without a response.  So I start walking after her asking her to repeat what she just said to me so that everyone else in the store can hear and she says "you're a B."  I said thank you, anything else you want to tell me?  And two other sales people grab her and walk her to the back room.

I left.

Never been in a Haverties again.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs The last person I personally know who contacted BathFitters was 5 years ago (maybe 6). Not in my state and they received the same hard sale as we did; a signed contract was expected that day. I don't know if things have changed since then with the company.

I WILL tell you this; a hint on how to find out if these type of companies (Sears kitchen re-do does the SAME thing....ask me how I know) use this tactic. When calling to make the appointment, as the CS rep:

1) I will NOT sign a contract at this appointment. I do NOT want them to come out if that is expected.

2) Can you tell me that it won't?

3) Your name please.

4) IF this person does, I will report, BY NAME, that this company LIES to potential customers. I believe this is called FRAUD. 

Listen VERY CAREFULLY to what the CS rep says from that point on; you'll have your answer. I do this to every "name" company as well as inform them I do NOT want an upsell and will this happen (gutter cleaner pushes to sell me NEW gutters. Puts down what is already there, etc for example). Again, the response tells you SO much about the business. Good luck!!

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35...Glad you stood up to her....

I was shopping a couple of years ago in DIllards shoe dept. The sales associate followed me everywhere...it's not like the shoe department is huge....I finally turned around and told her to stop following me, I had no intention of stealing shoes...she walked away in a huff,   sheesh, a girl just wants to look at shoes with out being stalked.

Honored Contributor

Personally, I wouldn't contact the company to report his bad behavior.

Too many people retaliate now-a-days.  And they don't seem to care about their consequences, no matter what.

I'd get estimates from other companies in your area.

Keep in mind that I haven't read any of your updates and others' replies.

As one of the posters here often says:  It's sometimes better to: 'Keep silent, keep safe.'

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).