Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

I've had it, and it is everything you describe. It feels terrible. For me, The key to getting better was getting the correct antibiotic. Too many doctors prescribe amoxicillin, which doesn't touch it. I was prescribed Ceftin 500 mgs., twice daily and a Prednisone taper dose. Without the correct antibiotic, it just wouldn't go away, even the prednisone didn't touch it.

Amoxicilin is antibiotic.  Weird that they give you that for water on your ear unless they thought you had an ear infection.  Predisnone (steroid) kicks it's but.  Low dose for 10 days.

Of course Amoxicillin is an antibiotic. But not specific for ear infections. It's a broad spectrum, non-specific antibiotic. Cephalosporins work much better for inner ear infections. 

Who gives an antibiotic for WATER ON THE EAR?  Your doc.  If you were diagnosed with just WATER ON THE EAR, you should NOT have been given an antibiotic.  For those docs that didn't want to give pred, they suggested other home remedies I see herein.  No one got an antibiotic but you! @Effie54 Of course antibiotics are given for more than one problem.  They treat bacterial infections.  Water on the ear from showering, swimming, washing hair DOES NOT WARRANT an antibiotic.

@gertrudecloset 

Very sorry but I totally disagree with you.  Water sits in your ear for a long period of time and bacteria builds up and they multiply with the warm water . It becomes warm as it sits there and incubates bacteria.

You have a right to disagree.  I disagree with the notion of taking an antibiotic for a simple "water on the ear."  I've had this happen way too much.  I was always treated with a small course of pred for about 5 days and it took care of it.

If something else is going on then an ENT should give the proper diagnosis as to a bacterial infection @Nonametoday .  Giving out antibiotics for simple things like fluid on the ear is not a good idea as many docs don't want to give an antibiotic for many things now due to the increasing resistant infections being caused by the overuse of antibiotics.

@gertrudecloset 

Water on the ear is not always simple.  Do you have a medical degree of any kind?

@Nonametoday Yes, I do

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

I've had it, and it is everything you describe. It feels terrible. For me, The key to getting better was getting the correct antibiotic. Too many doctors prescribe amoxicillin, which doesn't touch it. I was prescribed Ceftin 500 mgs., twice daily and a Prednisone taper dose. Without the correct antibiotic, it just wouldn't go away, even the prednisone didn't touch it.

Amoxicilin is antibiotic.  Weird that they give you that for water on your ear unless they thought you had an ear infection.  Predisnone (steroid) kicks it's but.  Low dose for 10 days.

Of course Amoxicillin is an antibiotic. But not specific for ear infections. It's a broad spectrum, non-specific antibiotic. Cephalosporins work much better for inner ear infections. 

Who gives an antibiotic for WATER ON THE EAR?  Your doc.  If you were diagnosed with just WATER ON THE EAR, you should NOT have been given an antibiotic.  For those docs that didn't want to give pred, they suggested other home remedies I see herein.  No one got an antibiotic but you! @Effie54 Of course antibiotics are given for more than one problem.  They treat bacterial infections.  Water on the ear from showering, swimming, washing hair DOES NOT WARRANT an antibiotic.

@gertrudecloset 

Very sorry but I totally disagree with you.  Water sits in your ear for a long period of time and bacteria builds up and they multiply with the warm water . It becomes warm as it sits there and incubates bacteria.

You have a right to disagree.  I disagree with the notion of taking an antibiotic for a simple "water on the ear."  I've had this happen way too much.  I was always treated with a small course of pred for about 5 days and it took care of it.

If something else is going on then an ENT should give the proper diagnosis as to a bacterial infection @Nonametoday .  Giving out antibiotics for simple things like fluid on the ear is not a good idea as many docs don't want to give an antibiotic for many things now due to the increasing resistant infections being caused by the overuse of antibiotics.

@gertrudecloset 

Water on the ear is not always simple.  Do you have a medical degree of any kind?

@Nonametoday Yes, I do

@gertrudecloset 

Could I suggest some continuing medical education in the field of otorhinolaryngology in that case.  This is not as simple as you might think.  I understand that in our course study we might miss some finger points.  Everybody does.  Thank you for your input, however, and I am sure you will do well.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

@gertrudecloset 

@Nonametoday Yes, I do

@gertrudecloset 

Could I suggest some continuing medical education in the field of otorhinolaryngology in that case.  This is not as simple as you might think.  I understand that in our course study we might miss some finger points.  Everybody does.  Thank you for your input, however, and I am sure you will do well.

@Nonametoday No thank you.  If that was an attempt at being extra, it didn't work.  Means I'm doing something right!

We are having a simple discussion about three different things at the same time here.  When the simple subject was "water on the ear."  Water on the ear is just that...water in your ear.  No major catastrophe.  Zilch, no biggie.  Uncomfortable yes, but not life threatening if you can't get it out on your own.  

If it advances to the stage of an ear infection a.k.a swimmer's ear, then and only then would an antibiotic be appropriate.

I don't know where you live or what kinds of doctors you go to see, but where I live only the worst cases are considered for antibiotic use.  Guess why?  Drug resistance.  Doctors are hesitant to give them out like they used to for every ailment we present with.  THEY DON'T DO THAT NO MORE.

Much of what I've stated is common sense.  If you have something wrong with you that isn't getting better, then see your doc.  Don't let them just pump you with antibiotics either unless they are called for.  You'll be the one regretting it later down the line.

Don't @me again.  Even a child could understand what I just wrote.  Takes grown people 2 days to figure it out.

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

@gertrudecloset 

@Nonametoday Yes, I do

@gertrudecloset 

@Nonametoday No thank you.  If that was an attempt at being extra, it didn't work.  Means I'm doing something right!

We are having a simple discussion about three different things at the same time here.  When the simple subject was "water on the ear."  Water on the ear is just that...water in your ear.  No major catastrophe.  Zilch, no biggie.  Uncomfortable yes, but not life threatening if you can't get it out on your own.  

If it advances to the stage of an ear infection a.k.a swimmer's ear, then and only then would an antibiotic be appropriate.

I don't know where you live or what kinds of doctors you go to see, but where I live only the worst cases are considered for antibiotic use.  Guess why?  Drug resistance.  Doctors are hesitant to give them out like they used to for every ailment we present with.  THEY DON'T DO THAT NO MORE.

Much of what I've stated is common sense.  If you have something wrong with you that isn't getting better, then see your doc.  Don't let them just pump you with antibiotics either unless they are called for.  You'll be the one regretting it later down the line.

Don't @me again.  Even a child could understand what I just wrote.  Takes grown people 2 days to figure it out.

@gertrudecloset 

I don't dole out medical advice that I I don't feel sure about.  I have to worry about a license and law suits.

Esteemed Contributor

FAILURE to LAUNCH.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

Maybe @Effie54 .  I would not take an antibiotic for water on my ear.  I would try a DIY first.  If my doc told me I had an ear infection, then and only then would I take an antibiotic with no questions asked.

I didn't say I took an antibiotic no questions asked. It was prescribed because of a suspected bacterial infection....along with a prednisone taper. I understand that not everyone will need an antibiotic, but some people do. The OP asked for opinions, and I gave her mine based on what worked for me.