Esteemed Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

I've had it, and it is everything you describe. It feels terrible. For me, The key to getting better was getting the correct antibiotic. Too many doctors prescribe amoxicillin, which doesn't touch it. I was prescribed Ceftin 500 mgs., twice daily and a Prednisone taper dose. Without the correct antibiotic, it just wouldn't go away, even the prednisone didn't touch it.

Amoxicilin is antibiotic.  Weird that they give you that for water on your ear unless they thought you had an ear infection.  Predisnone (steroid) kicks it's but.  Low dose for 10 days.

Of course Amoxicillin is an antibiotic. But not specific for ear infections. It's a broad spectrum, non-specific antibiotic. Cephalosporins work much better for inner ear infections. 

Who gives an antibiotic for WATER ON THE EAR?  Your doc.  If you were diagnosed with just WATER ON THE EAR, you should NOT have been given an antibiotic.  For those docs that didn't want to give pred, they suggested other home remedies I see herein.  No one got an antibiotic but you! @Effie54 Of course antibiotics are given for more than one problem.  They treat bacterial infections.  Water on the ear from showering, swimming, washing hair DOES NOT WARRANT an antibiotic.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

I've had it, and it is everything you describe. It feels terrible. For me, The key to getting better was getting the correct antibiotic. Too many doctors prescribe amoxicillin, which doesn't touch it. I was prescribed Ceftin 500 mgs., twice daily and a Prednisone taper dose. Without the correct antibiotic, it just wouldn't go away, even the prednisone didn't touch it.

Amoxicilin is antibiotic.  Weird that they give you that for water on your ear unless they thought you had an ear infection.  Predisnone (steroid) kicks it's but.  Low dose for 10 days.

Of course Amoxicillin is an antibiotic. But not specific for ear infections. It's a broad spectrum, non-specific antibiotic. Cephalosporins work much better for inner ear infections. 

Who gives an antibiotic for WATER ON THE EAR?  Your doc.  If you were diagnosed with just WATER ON THE EAR, you should NOT have been given an antibiotic.  For those docs that didn't want to give pred, they suggested other home remedies I see herein.  No one got an antibiotic but you! @Effie54 Of course antibiotics are given for more than one problem.  They treat bacterial infections.  Water on the ear from showering, swimming, washing hair DOES NOT WARRANT an antibiotic.

@gertrudecloset 

Very sorry but I totally disagree with you.  Water sits in your ear for a long period of time and bacteria builds up and they multiply with the warm water . It becomes warm as it sits there and incubates bacteria.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

Very sorry but I totally disagree with you.  Water sits in your ear for a long period of time and bacteria builds up and they multiply with the warm water . It becomes warm as it sits there and incubates bacteria.

You have a right to disagree.  I disagree with the notion of taking an antibiotic for a simple "water on the ear."  I've had this happen way too much.  I was always treated with a small course of pred for about 5 days and it took care of it.

If something else is going on then an ENT should give the proper diagnosis as to a bacterial infection @Nonametoday .  Giving out antibiotics for simple things like fluid on the ear is not a good idea as many docs don't want to give an antibiotic for many things now due to the increasing resistant infections being caused by the overuse of antibiotics.

Valued Contributor

@DiamondsandGold 

Yep, that would be the virus of which they speak,

I always had terrible sinus infections.

For your sake, I hope it clears up and never comes back.

Its not fun to have.

Another test they gave me was to stand in a dark room , no lights showing anywhere and try to maneuver around it, without getting wobbly.

At times, I was flopping around like a fish out of water..

Feel better ....

Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

Are you a doctor??! 

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

You have a right to disagree.  I disagree with the notion of taking an antibiotic for a simple "water on the ear."  I've had this happen way too much.  I was always treated with a small course of pred for about 5 days and it took care of it.

If something else is going on then an ENT should give the proper diagnosis as to a bacterial infection @Nonametoday .  Giving out antibiotics for simple things like fluid on the ear is not a good idea as many docs don't want to give an antibiotic for many things now due to the increasing resistant infections being caused by the overuse of antibiotics.

@gertrudecloset 

Water on the ear is not always simple.  Do you have a medical degree of any kind?

Honored Contributor

If it were me, I'd go see an ENT as soon as I could get an appointment.  Stuff like this isn't something to mess around with if simple measures don't fix it.

And doing a lot of these recommended things will only make it worse.

Been there, done that, learned a lot!  Get thee to an ENT! I go now two or three times a year to have wax removed (no water or water pik involved!) and it is the some of the best money I've spent.  Not all ear wax is created equal I've learned. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

If it were me, I'd go see an ENT as soon as I could get an appointment.  Stuff like this isn't something to mess around with if simple measures don't fix it.

Been there, done that, learned a lot!  Get thee to an ENT! I go now two or three times a year to have wax removed (no water or water pik involved!) and it is the some of the best money I've spent.  Not all ear wax is created equal I've learned. 

@Sooner 

I have seen patients who would have what looked like a small"bezoar" in their ears, larger than a pea.  It was from a collection of dust, dirt, grime (in the air), Q-tips (the worst which cotton after years can form a ball) and all that wax, the dirt, grime and "water" can cause it to all become a bundle. 

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner 

I have seen patients who would have what looked like a small"bezoar" in their ears, larger than a pea.  It was from a collection of dust, dirt, grime (in the air), Q-tips (the worst which cotton after years can form a ball) and all that wax, the dirt, grime and "water" can cause it to all become a bundle. 

@Nonametoday  Uh, EWWWWW!  Woman Surprised And some people's ear wax is stickier, dry, or crumbly and some doesn't come out.

The first doc that said that said "Do you get anything on a  Q-tip when you put one in your ear?"  I said I was shocked and would never do that and laughed and said "No."  So he started telling me about all of that.  Until I said enough. . . 

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe @Effie54 .  I would not take an antibiotic for water on my ear.  I would try a DIY first.  If my doc told me I had an ear infection, then and only then would I take an antibiotic with no questions asked.