Esteemed Contributor

@DiamondsandGold wrote:

Has anyone had this??? Its horrible, as it is causing a balancing and vertigo problem !! I will not drive a car, cause its bad. Been to myPCP and she gave me a prednisone pack and antobiotics, which did nothing. So my hubby took me to an urgent care a couple of days ago and she is the one that told me about the fuid in my ear, not my PCP!!!! Imagine that. So now I am taking a decongestant and doing a nasal spray, so after all my babbling, I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had this?????? 

Yes, more than once.  It's called "swimmer's ear."  I don't do that kind of swimming but that is the medical term I was told.  I was given predisnone to clear it up and that's exactly what it did.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

I've had it, and it is everything you describe. It feels terrible. For me, The key to getting better was getting the correct antibiotic. Too many doctors prescribe amoxicillin, which doesn't touch it. I was prescribed Ceftin 500 mgs., twice daily and a Prednisone taper dose. Without the correct antibiotic, it just wouldn't go away, even the prednisone didn't touch it.

Amoxicilin is antibiotic.  Weird that they give you that for water on your ear unless they thought you had an ear infection.  Predisnone (steroid) kicks it's but.  Low dose for 10 days.

Esteemed Contributor

@justashopper wrote:

I have had this happen to me-- many times.  I have tried most of the remedies given here.  Including going to the urgent- care so they could unplug my ear by squrting water into my ear. Which is risky and I had to sign a waiver I would sue if they damaged my ear.  Talk about desperate.  UGH.  

This is a frustrating experience and that time was probably the worst.  And I made it worse by trying every remedy!  But those ear wax removal kits are helpful, if it's not too deep in the ear. 

For less drastic times, I have found a couple drops of hydrogen proxide in the ear, cover with a cotton ball.  Then lay on the opposite ear for a few minutes.  You'll hear some popping as the peroxide is cutting through the wax.    When it stops you might even feel the water moving around.  Then with the cotton ball still covering the ear, lay on that ear so the liquid runs out. 

You might need to do this more then once.  I would wait several hours in between attempts-- like morning and night or even just a couple days in a row.  Just be careful because too much might be too much and cause a bigger problem.  

PS @DiamondsandGold I would call the PCP and let them know your true diagnosis was discovered by the urgent care.  They probably won't do anything.  But I'd probably start looking for a new PCP.  Those prednisone steriods are serious meds.  They shouldn't be just handing them out not knowing what they are actually addressing. 

@justashopper The predisnone meds given to clear this up is not given long enough to cause any problems.  I've had several medical issues that no one could figure out that were fixed with quick doses of prednisone.  Long term use of prednisone is problematic of course.  However a short course for 5 to 10 days at 10 mg, is nothing.  I know, been there, done that many times.  LOL.

Honored Contributor

@DiamondsandGold wrote:

@Icegoddess , what does work????

@DiamondsandGold I'm no expert on that.  I have had a perforated ear drum and I have continual problems with crystals moving around in the ear.  They're behind the eardrum.  I would think some sort of cold or allergy medication that includes a decongestant.  Maybe mucinex.  

I have also had several ear infections that were fungal in nature.  Antibiotics don't work on fungal infections, and I had a stupid doctor when I was on a ski trip that said there was no such thing as a fungal ear infection.  Maybe not in MT where it's dry as a bone, but AL is a breeding ground.  They're terribly painful. 

Super Contributor

@pieman , thank you for your info. I have sinus problems also, so I am trying to put the puzzle together , and I think most of it is attributed to that, as I was kinda sick 2 weeks ago. Much of everthing else has , for the most part, is slowly going away, now left with the ear!!!! Just my luck!!!

Super Contributor

@Effie54  Thank You!!!  That is exactly what I thought!! Now I know I'm not going crazy!!

Super Contributor

@Mom2Dogs Boy, that certainly sounds like me!!!!! It is the most nerve wracking thing to go through!!!!

Super Contributor

@Icegoddess , I , also, have those ****** crystals in my ears. The testing was horrible!!! I think , it is mildly contributing to this, but I do have a slight earache still, so,me not being a Doctor, might need a different antibiotic, as the amoxicillin did not do anything!!! Gosh, its actually scary, that we resort to being a medical detective, isn't it !!!!! Thank You!!

Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

I've had it, and it is everything you describe. It feels terrible. For me, The key to getting better was getting the correct antibiotic. Too many doctors prescribe amoxicillin, which doesn't touch it. I was prescribed Ceftin 500 mgs., twice daily and a Prednisone taper dose. Without the correct antibiotic, it just wouldn't go away, even the prednisone didn't touch it.

Amoxicilin is antibiotic.  Weird that they give you that for water on your ear unless they thought you had an ear infection.  Predisnone (steroid) kicks it's but.  Low dose for 10 days.

Of course Amoxicillin is an antibiotic. But not specific for ear infections. It's a broad spectrum, non-specific antibiotic. Cephalosporins work much better for inner ear infections. 

Respected Contributor

@DiamondsandGold wrote:

THANK YOU to all for your suggestions!!!!!!! I'm going to try a couple of your remedies!!!

@DiamondsandGold You are getting different advise for two different types of problems.  

Some are giving you suggestions if you have fluid in your ear canal - in front of the eardrum and some are giving you suggestions if you have fluid in your middle ear behind the ear drum.  Since the urgent care is suggesting you take decongestants then you probably have fluid in your middle ear which is usually caused by the eustachian tube (the tube that connects your middle ear to the throat) being swollen.  It can be swollen due to allergies or a cold.  The middle ear can't ventalate itself and draws fluid from the surrounding tissue.  They fluid can become infected then you would have an ear infection.  

However, balance is maintained by your inner ear- your semi circular canals.  If you are getting any better you need to see an ENT who can properly diagnose and treat you.  

I know what I am talking about here.  I am a speech language pathologist and have a bachelor's degree in audiology.