Honored Contributor

Re: Week 17 of the NFL Regular Season!!!

On 12/28/2014 gardenman said:

Kudos to the Ravens for making the playoffs. Getting in is the key. You never know what will happen once you're in.

The Eagles had a decent game. Fortunately we didn't need more than a "normal" Mark Sanchez performance to beat the Giants. He made his typical mistakes, but we won anyway. On to the off season now for the Eagles. You're apt to see Chip Kelly at many/most of the big college games over the next few weeks. He loves to personally see the kids coming out of college.

GARDENMAN......since our area showed the Washington/Cowboy game please explain to me how Eli had 429 passing yards only 1 interception and Beckham caught 12 passes for 185 yds, YET the Eagles won.....!!!! What happened!!!

And I'm sure Chip still has tight relationships with coaches in the college ranks that can give him some inside scoops on the talent pool too...that is one advantage for him not being gone from the college game that long....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

On 12/28/2014 SeattleShopper1 said:

One Word - Seahawks

Two Words - 12th Man / 12th Woman (the Fans)

AND - Pete Carroll, Marshawn Lynch, Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman--All of the Team, actually

Excellent Job - The Region is Proud

Very impressed with what all team does to give back to our community! Xmas day saw several players and their family at Children's and with homeless. They have little precious time during this time of year and are making others happy! A friends grandson is gravely ill at Children's and has Hawks visiting him often! It warms your heart!
Valued Contributor

On 12/28/2014 maryebrown said:
On 12/28/2014 AuntG said:

Rodgers' injury might not be so bad after all. He was shown stretching in the hallway and looked pretty good. Maybe a cramp or spasm instead of a tear?

The officials let that Lion stomp on Aaron's leg two times. Seems like the Lions are one of the dirtiest teams in the NFL.

Yes, they are ! {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown} But, I must say that the officiating at the game certainly favored The Packers for The Winners. (BTW, I'm not a Fan of either of those teams)--especially since Rodgers is/has been featured in sooooo many commercials for State Farm Ins. He is QUITE the actor and I believe his "leaving" with an 'injury', prior to halftime, shows what a Drama King he is ! {#emotions_dlg.glare} JMHO

What game were you watching. The refs were blind during the game. When Detroit didn't have their face masks they were holding and downright tackling the receivers. As far as Rogers he was and is hurt. Apparently, there was a big discussion in the locker room about him continuing. If it wasn't an important playoff game don't think he would have played. They need to start throwing these dirty players out of the game. The refs didn't even call a penalty. Glad the "dirty players" lost!!

Honored Contributor

Where was this Jets team all season long? Geno Smith and Eric Decker both had an amazing game. Maybe if this team had shown up more often then Rex Ryan wouldn't be out the door!
Honored Contributor

On 12/28/2014 SPURT said:

Kudos to the Ravens for making the playoffs. Getting in is the key. You never know what will happen once you're in.

The Eagles had a decent game. Fortunately we didn't need more than a "normal" Mark Sanchez performance to beat the Giants. He made his typical mistakes, but we won anyway. On to the off season now for the Eagles. You're apt to see Chip Kelly at many/most of the big college games over the next few weeks. He loves to personally see the kids coming out of college.

GARDENMAN......since our area showed the Washington/Cowboy game please explain to me how Eli had 429 passing yards only 1 interception and Beckham caught 12 passes for 185 yds, YET the Eagles won.....!!!! What happened!!!

And I'm sure Chip still has tight relationships with coaches in the college ranks that can give him some inside scoops on the talent pool too...that is one advantage for him not being gone from the college game that long....

Yeah, the stats in that game were a tad misleading. We let the Giants march up and down the field at will, but then put up a stand at the goal line. Despite giving up over 500 yards of total offense they limited the Giants to two touchdowns. A better team would have likely beaten the Eagles, but the Giants aren't a better team. The blocked punt returned for a touchdown really helped the Eagles too. Dave Fipp the Eagles special teams coach was a great hire and Chip's focus on special teams is a huge help. He sits in on many of the special teams meetings and some of the first free agents we signed were core special teams players.

Chip's relationship with college coaches and the fact that we have a lot of former college coaches with their own relationships on the staff can be a huge help in finding the right guys coming out of college. Despite needing cornerback help the Eagles didn't even look at Dee Milliner in 2013 despite some experts claiming he was the best player in the draft. Our offensive line coach came from Alabama and apparently warned the Eagles off of the kid. Chip knows what he wants in players and we've found a few unheralded guys (Trey Burton being one) who are likely to blossom into stars in the league. My gut says we'll see a lot more of Trey Burton next year in the Eagles offense.

And the firings have begun. The Jets get on the board first with the firing of Rex Ryan and John Idzik. So, where does Rex end up? Does Chicago make a move for him? Buddy Ryan was a Bear and the Ryan family has ties there. Does Rex want to deal with another iffy QB situation though? I think he'd be a good fit temperament/personality wise in Chicago, but winning there is going to be a challenge with Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay, Stafford and Megatron in Detroit, and now Teddy Bridgewater looks like the real deal in Minnesota. How things shake out these next few days/weeks will be interesting.

Harbaugh is reportedly going to Michigan. He and the Niners have agreed to part ways with no compensation. If he was going to an NFL team there would be compensation. Whoever the new coach is in San Fran, he (assuming it's a guy, but hey it's San Francisco, so who knows?) will have a tough job rallying the players. There was clearly a divide on that team from way back with the GM and coaching staff on opposite sides. Will the new coach be viewed as nothing more than a puppet of the GM? Will a coach who's not willing to be a puppet of the GM even try for the job knowing what happened with Harbaugh?

The Giant job had looked to be safe, but the comments of the owners after yesterday's game makes you wonder if Coughlin might not be headed out. They said they'd get together this week and discuss the future. That's not exactly a ringing endorsement. Could Rex Ryan end up just moving a few feet to the Giants staff? That would be interesting. The Giants have an established QB and need a better defense. I don't see it happening, but who knows? The next few weeks promise to be pretty entertaining.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

GARDENMAN.......I guess that is why ESPN changed the name of one of their shows because it is NOT necessarily true that NUMBERS NEVER LIE....I think it's more true that STATISTICS ARE FOR LOSERS......that explains the result of the Eagles/Giants game.....{#emotions_dlg.laugh}.

As for the 49ers....well Becky Hammon's experience is in the basketball and not football, but who knows she is learning from a Belichick like in Coach Pop.....maybe she could be hired by the 49ers.....{#emotions_dlg.laugh}Wink Shanny's name is one that keeps being bantered around and I'm sure he would like to reestablish his reputation given the HORRIBLE Washington experiment....but he is a control freak and I think he would require total control as both GM and Coach, and I think the 49ers are keeping their GM.......Perhaps in Chicago might be better fit and he's familiar with Cutler....

I can't believe some of the Washington fans are blaming our dismal season on Haslett when Haz was not given much to work with....especially with our TERRIBLE secondary....only Breeland has been found to be the only keeper....and Kerrigan is one of the few other decent defensive players you want on your team. ...so it will be interesting to see where Washington goes with this....I think he will be made the scapegoat although I think he shouldn't be when we have so many holes not only on defense, but on the offensive line as well...and there's that QB question.....but I think we end up keeping Robert and McCboy....who else can we get....I don't think we can make another blockbuster deal to land one of the TWO (and only TWO decent QBs in this year's draft).....and I don't see any current backups that are making heads turn either....And I am NOT happy about keeping Robert either....more like a square peg in a round hole, he is not a pocket passer nor do I think will he ever be! We will see!!!

BTW what do you think the Eagles will do with Shady he is going to take a hard hit against the Eagle's salary cap next season.....and the feeling around the NFL with RBs is that they are a dime a dozen and one can be found cheaply elsewhere....and Chip doesn't seem to be too sentimental with veteran players either....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

we are playing the steelers next saturday night.......should be an exciting game, even if you dont like either team!!! both teams always play tough.

gooooooooooooooooooooo RAVENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

On 12/29/2014 sunshine45 said:

we are playing the steelers next saturday night.......should be an exciting game, even if you dont like either team!!! both teams always play tough.

gooooooooooooooooooooo RAVENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It should be a good game.....

Honored Contributor

SPURT. Yeah, LeSean McCoy's contract is likely to be renegotiated to lessen his cap hit this year. He's openly talked about being willing to do so. Trent Cole is another guy who's likely to do the same. Both are scheduled to get paid a lot this coming year and with the salary cap in place that money might be better spent elsewhere. Chances are some of the salary will be converted to signing bonuses and other alterations will be made, but chances are both guys will be back next year. James Casey and Brent Celek may also have to renegotiate to hang around. We're kind of deep at tight end right now with Zach Ertz, Brent Celek, James Casey and Trey Burton. I'm thinking the two younger guys (Burton and Ertz) will see the majority of playing time next year. Celek's a heck of a player, but I'm not sure he'll be able to earn a roster spot ahead of those guys and how much do you pay a third tight end?

DeMeco Ryans is another name to look at. He's also got a pretty big contract payment due and coming off the torn achilles tendon you're not really sure what you'll get there. We had a lot of depth at inside linebacker in the preseason only to lose three of them to injury. With those kids now coming back healthy and with a year of film/coaching/practice time behind them there may not be a space on the roster for DeMeco at his current price. Jason Peters is another guy who might be a tick overpaid now.

I don't think the Eagles will use their franchise tag on any of their free agents. Jeremy Maclin might be an option, but I don't see him as a top five wide receiver, so I don't think the Eagles would pay him that much. They've reportedly had in-depth contract talks with Brandon Graham about coming back, but things aren't close there yet. The Eagles are playing him as a 3-4 outside linebacker and he's more of a natural 4-3 defensive end. A 4-3 defensive end will get paid more than most outside linebackers, so they'll pretty much have to overpay him to keep him. Sanchez might come back as the backup again, but my best guess is he won't.

I'd expect to see the Eagles target defensive backs in free agency and the draft. If you look for a glaring weakness on the team, DB's is where it's at. A few young offensive linemen wouldn't be bad, but DB's are the most pressing need. The special teams are solid. The offense is solid. The front seven and their backups on defense are pretty solid. The defensive backs are a bit of a mess however. They did add a couple of guys later this year that they like in safeties Chris Prosinski and Jerome Couplin. Neither had enough experience with the team/system to take away a starting spot this year, but if they really like those guys we could already have next year's needed safety. If the Eagles lose both Trent Cole and Brandon Graham to free agency/salary cap then they'll need an outside linebacker, but I don't see both guys going. Jaylen Watkins got some extended playing time yesterday and did okay. He's being groomed as a hybrid safety/corner/linebacker jack-of-all-trades type who can play in the nickle and cover anyone and still be a functional tackler if the opposing team tries to run. He got matched up with Beckham a few times yesterday and held his own. He got beat a couple of times, but all in all he did pretty well.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!