Honored Contributor

Week 17 of the NFL Regular Season!!!

The end is here. After this week most of us won't have any real football games for our teams until next September. Ugh!!! Oh well, it makes the playoffs much less stressful to watch. Everyone plays on Sunday this week so it'll be a busy day. On to the picks.

We start out with Cleveland at Baltimore. the Johnny Manziel era is now officially on hold as he's on IR with a bad hamstring. I'll go with Baltimore here.

Jacksonville goes to Houston. JJ Watt deserves a better ending to an incredible season, but the future looks pretty bright for Houston if they can find a QB. I'll take the Texans.

San Diego goes to KC. Andy held the Chiefs together longer/better than I thought he could but the lack of depth and injuries finally took a toll. I expect the Chargers to win this one.

The Jets go to the Dolphins in what should be Rex Ryan's last game as head coach. I'll take the dolphins to win.

Chicago goes to Minnesota. I was expecting more from the Bears this season, but they've let me down. I'll take the Vikings.

Buffalo goes to New England. the Bills defense will be a good test for the Pats, but Brady's too hot now to stop. I'll take the Patriots.

The Eagles go to the Giants. In this series visiting teams always seem to do well. The Eagles are three point underdogs, but I like their chances. They're an annoyed team right now for missing the playoffs and they want someone to pay the price. The Giants happen to be next on the schedule, so they'll do. If (and this is a huge if) Sanchez doesn't turn the ball over multiple times the Eagles should win this one. The Eagles want to end the season on as high a note as possible, but they're going to be looking back at the missed opportunities all off-season and kicking themselves. Dropped interceptions by the defense, missed checks at the line of scrimmage on defense, bad interceptions by Sanchez, the occasional poorly timed fumble by McCoy will all haunt those players all off-season. They were planning on making an extended playoff run and to miss the playoffs is really killing them.

New Orleans goes to Tampa. The Saints are likely to make substantial changes this off-season. I'll pick them to win this game simply because they're playing Tamp, but a loss wouldn't shock me.

Indy goes to Tennessee. This should be an easy win for Indy.

Dallas goes to Washington. These games are never easy, but the Cowboys are clearly the better team. I'll take the Cowboys, but a close game, and even an upset wouldn't shock me.

Carolina goes to Atlanta to find out which loser will win the NFC South. I'm taking the Falcons here. I'd laugh my head off if they made it to the Super Bowl and won it despite a horrible regular season record. They've got the talent, but they haven't played well all season. If they got hot? Well, we'll have to see what happens. The bad news for whichever team wins the South is making the playoffs will really hurt them in the draft seeding.

Oakland goes to Denver. This will give Peyton Manning a chance to regain some of his mojo. He's looked pretty human the last few weeks. I'll take the Broncos.

Detroit goes to Green Bay. This should be a fun game to watch. Will Megatron be given a chance to shine, or will Rodgers steal the spotlight? I'm a firm believer that when you have a guy who's such a physical mismatch like Megatron or Dez Bryant, that you should throw them the ball twenty times a game and take your chances. More often than not they'll win those fights. I'm taking Green Bay however as the Lions don't generally do that.

Saint Louis goes to Seattle. I'll take the Seahawks. If the Rams can fix their QB issues (keep Bradford healthy or find a replacement) they'll be a contender.

Arizona goes to San Francisco. QB injuries have dinged the Cards and I think the Niners will eke out a win here.

Cincinnati goes to Pittsburgh in a big game for the AFC North crown. I'll take the Steelers at home, but it should be a good game.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

Re: Week 17 of the NFL Regular Season!!!

It was good to see Sanchez make something of a comeback as an Eagles starter but I think his run is over. His return to New York against the Giants will bring back the b*tt fumble Sanchez. The Giants are coming together again. They will be on point next season and don't forget, they have Beckham.

GO GIANTS!!!

Honored Contributor

O'Dell Beckham and Victor Cruz will be a potent combination next year for the Giants if Eli Manning can return to form. Combine those two receivers with an accurate quarterback behind a solid offensive line and the Giants can rack up points as well as anyone in football. Teams will have to keep both safeties back providing deep help which will open up the run game more. The challenge right now seems to be the offensive line and getting Eli back to being accurate. Beckham has shown he can make a play on even poorly thrown passes, but if Eli can improve his accuracy then those two could be unstoppable.

Mark Sanchez is Mark Sanchez. He's one of those quarterbacks who 95% of the time is good to really good, then makes a boneheaded play that costs you the game. No matter where he goes next year, he's unlikely to find a more talented supporting cast than he's had this year, and if he couldn't succeed here with this group of players, then he's not going to be successful anywhere. He's just not a good game manager. You'd prefer a guy who's average, but doesn't make the boneheaded play to a guy who's good to really good who does. His arm strength isn't great. He doesn't trust his arm to throw the ball deep. He vastly prefers to throw short and in the middle of the field. He makes life far too easy on defensive coordinators. Defend the short middle of the field and wait for him to make the big mistake and you'll beat any Sanchez led team.

Chip Kelly's offense is based on stretching the field and forcing the defense to defend the whole field. Mark Sanchez's limitations/tendencies shrinks the field and allows a defense to only cover only a small part of it. When you watch the all-22 films of the Eagles games you'll see a wide receiver matched up one on one with a defender with no safety help. The receiver will get a step on the defender and be open for the big play down the field. Sanchez will see it, pat the ball, then check down short. When he does throw it down the field he's been inaccurate. Mark Sanchez is just Mark Sanchez and he's going to do what he does, and unfortunately that's not conducive to winning in the NFL.

Nick Foles has the arm and nerve to stretch the field sideline to sideline and goal line to goal line. That's what you need in this offense. That forces the safeties to stop cheating up or risk giving up the big play. That forces defensive coordinators to defend the whole field. Mark Sanchez has the arm, but he lacks the nerve. Guys are open, he'll see them open and he'll check down to the safer play instead. That can be the smart move in some situations, but doing it constantly is dumb. This Eagle offense wants/needs a gunslinger and Mark Sanchez isn't one. Nick Foles is one and we're likely to try and find a strong armed kid/vet in the draft or free agency who has the nerve to make the throws that Sanchez won't.

People are complaining about the number of interceptions Nick Foles threw this year, but they're forgetting that he played eight games behind a patchwork offensive line, many of them with only one projected starter starting in his normal spot. He was also coached all off-season and preseason to take more chances. The QB coach and offensive coordinator both felt he was too careful with the ball last year and wanted him to take more chances. He took more chances this year and sometimes just had to throw the ball up for survival as the defense crashed in on him, but he still won six of the eight games he started. I'll argue there are good interceptions (those thrown way down the field on long yardage situations where the receiver can make a play on the ball that essentially end up being a punt if intercepted) and bad interceptions (those thrown where a receiver can't make a play on the ball in crucial situations.) Nick Foles made more "good" interceptions while Mark Sanchez specialized in the "bad" ones.

If Mark Sanchez could learn to trust his arm, avoid the boneheaded plays, and make the right the offensive reads, he could be a really good quarterback, among the best in the league. Right now he doesn't do any of that however and he just kills whatever team he's trying to lead. He's got great tools, but he's a poor craftsman. If he learns to trust his tools, some team could find him the answer to their quarterback issues. But that's a big if.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

GARDENMAN---I want to give you a big THANKS for doing the NFL posts throughout the entire season.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Even if your team was terrible, the NFL season goes by way too quickly.....{#emotions_dlg.laugh} But despite Washington's dismal season, I'm still an NFL fan so will enjoy watching the last game, the playoffs, Super Bowl....why even the Pro-Bowl!

Here are my last regular season picks....

Jags/Texans---The Texans just need a decent QB to move to the next level....maybe it's a blessing they did not get a chance to pick Manziel in the draft. I'll go with JJ Watt and the TEXANS!

Chargers/Chiefs-With all the injuries the Chiefs have had, now
Alex Smith is out with lacerated spleen. I go with those CHARGERS and their fiesty QB!

Jets/Dolphins-The Dolphins have been inconsistent and the Jets almost pulled out an upset against the Pats last week. The Dolphins beat the Jets by 3 points the last time around, for some weird reason I'm going with the JETS JETS JETS!

Bears/Vikings--The Bears have been downright awful, especially their QB and defense....at least the Vikings seem to put forth an effort...going with the VIKINGS

Bills/Pats---the Pats want the #1 seed in the playoffs and had to put up a tough fight against the Jets.....the Bills have an EXCELLENT defense and are a QB away from making the playoffs...the future looks bright for the Bills. But this week I gotta go with the PATS! (I think Beli and my NBA Spur's Coach Popovich were separated at birth {#emotions_dlg.laugh})

Eagles/Giants-rumble in the NFC East. Giants have Beckham and the Eagles's secondary had a hard time covering the Cowboys Dez Bryant....The Eagles got embarrassed by Washington but it was more about the Eagles's mistakes (interceptions, fumbles, penalties) and mostly poor play by Sanchez. But Eli has had bad games and he needs his OL to give him time to throw to Beckham, the Giants defense isn't so hot either. This game is a coin flip and being a rivalry game anything can happen. Okay I say that Sanchez comes back with a decent game and I'll go with the EAGLES, after all they skunked the Giants the first time around.

Saints/Bucs-well the Saints' fans are wearing bags on their heads again. They have been playing terrible, and it looks like there will be many changes starting with their Defensive Coordinator! (maybe Rex and Rob and sign up to do a reality show COACHES WITHOUT JOBS). Lovie hasn't done much with the Bucs and as of 12/23 it looks like the Bucs will be picking 2nd in the draft and get a shot at the only 2 decent QBs in the 2015 draft. I'm going with the SAINTS even though they have played really bad!

Colts/Titans-The Titans have the #1 pick in the draft and the Colts need to correct their mistakes and gear up for the playoffs....easy win COLTS!

Cowboys/Redskins-Hmmmmm will the Cowboys rest their ailing RB and their QB since they clinched the playoffs???? 7 players are listed as probable.....It would salvage a dreadful season for Washington and especially their fans, if they swept the Cowboys.{#emotions_dlg.laugh} Washington players are playing for their jobs since it looks like a house cleaning AGAIN....{#emotions_dlg.glare} The Redskins Ol is suspect and the defense has lots of injuries which means reserves will be getting playing time. Even rookie Trent Murphy is on IR. So Williams, Miller, Jeffcoat will lineup opposite one of our few decent defensive players, Kerrigan. And yes folks, Jackson Jeffcoat is son of Jim Jeffcoat who played for the Cowboys---small world! Things look bleak for Washington....but who knows....As a Washington fan I can't give a nod to "the enemy" so I'll pick WASHINGTON in an upset {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Panthers/Falcons-winner will represent NFC South such that it is....{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} The Falcons played the Packers and Steelers tough, 2 playoff bound teams.....and the Panthers squeaked by the Browns and Bucs --- two bad teams. I'll go with the FALCONS although I don't much care for Roddy White!

Raiders/Broncos-Oh for the old days of Madden Raiders against the Broncos....those were the days...at times the Raiders come to play beating a solid Bills team last week, but blown out by Rams and Chiefs. Peyton has played poorly in particular the 4th quarter last week, but I think he will bounce back gotta go BRONCOS! BTW I don't know if it's a sign, but the Broncos took first place in Christmas Tree Power Rankings...{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Lions/Pack---The big battle for the NFC North...or as Boomer says...NORSE Division. Lions are inconsistent and the Pack has home field and Aaron Rodgers gotta go PACKERS!

Rams/Seahawks-The Rams lost their cool in their brawl with the Giants and got players ejected....this is a division rival so who knows what we will see. The Rams are a team that just needs a healthy and consistent QB. The Seahawks look indeed like where they were last year with a shall we say SUPER defense..Wink..and that pro-bowl snub has to make Russel Wilson show that the voters he deserved to be there. Going with the SEAHAWKS!

Cards/49ers--Cards are so beat up and their QB injuries even had some thinking to re-sign Kurt Warner who has retired---YIKES! The 49ers are playing for what will be on tape for the new coach to see....Still I think Arians is a great coach and will find a way to win....CARDS!

Bengals/Steelers-Battle forAFC North Division. Steelers have found a running game, and
Bengals are starting to put it together.....This game could go either way! Big Ben is having a good year and the Steelers are at home....STEELERS!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

This is too FUNNY.....WALL STREET JOURNAL CHRISTMAS TREE POWER RANKINGS....

Please view the slide show and the comments....

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nfl-christmas-tree-power-rankings-2-revenge-of-the-tinsel-1419389600

Esteemed Contributor

SPURT, I enjoyed the NFL Christmas tree rankings. Also, yesterday I saw someone on the bus wearing a Spurs stocking hat. It's unusual seeing Spurs gear here in IN; usually it's Pacers or college related. Maybe the hat was a Christmas present.

I have a feeling that the Colts and Bengals will face each other in the wild card round. Pittsburgh is favored to win the AFC North. However, it won't be the same team the Colts faced before. The Bengals will most likely play much better. Of course, an upset could happen and then it will be the Steelers coming to Indy.

Most analysts are choosing SF over Arizona. Most likely it's because of the quarterback situation in Arizona. San Francisco just wants to go out on a positive note.

Gardenman, echoing what SPURT wrote, thanks for starting all the weekly NFL threads this past season. It's much appreciated.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

You guys don't have to thank me for talking football. I enjoy it. We keep a thread going all year. Once the playoffs end, we'll switch to a monthly format with free agency and the draft looming then the mini-camps and training camp and preseason and before you know it the regular season will be starting up again.

The playoffs are going to be interesting this year. There aren't any absolutely unbeatable teams right now. The Packers and Seahawks have looked beatable in recent weeks. The Patriots look like the class of the AFC, but even they don't look unbeatable. I think it would be hilarious if Atlanta somehow made it all the way to the Super Bowl and won.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

On 12/27/2014 teganslaw said:

SPURT, I enjoyed the NFL Christmas tree rankings. Also, yesterday I saw someone on the bus wearing a Spurs stocking hat. It's unusual seeing Spurs gear here in IN; usually it's Pacers or college related. Maybe the hat was a Christmas present.

I have a feeling that the Colts and Bengals will face each other in the wild card round. Pittsburgh is favored to win the AFC North. However, it won't be the same team the Colts faced before. The Bengals will most likely play much better. Of course, an upset could happen and then it will be the Steelers coming to Indy.

Most analysts are choosing SF over Arizona. Most likely it's because of the quarterback situation in Arizona. San Francisco just wants to go out on a positive note.

Gardenman, echoing what SPURT wrote, thanks for starting all the weekly NFL threads this past season. It's much appreciated.

Hey Tegan.....Those Christmas tree rankings were hilarious---especially the Cardinals tree....and the comment, the tree is playing QB {#emotions_dlg.laugh} Poor Cardinals....the team has faced so many injuries, and when not only your starting QB, but your backup gets hurt, that is a tremendous obstacle to over come!!! But they got a good coach to try to make a miracle and a win happen...

Since the Spurs won the Championship and people actually watched and enjoyed their style of play (SHARING the basketball, rather than watching a ball hog get all the action) the team has developed a universal fandom....For the away TV games they always show those out of state Spur's fans. But we haven't been playing well---too many injuries, including some of main players--our MVP-Kawai Leonard, our starting Point Guard, and our backup point guard had shoulder surgery in the off season and won't be back until January---and we had a case of the flu bug too....but the NBA is a really loooooooooooong season, so hopefully the team will come together around the All Star break giving us positioning in the playoffs....GO SPURS GO! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}Wink

There should be some great NFL playoff games. I wish your COLTS the best!!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} I saw Andrew got selected for the pro-bowl!

It will be interesting to see the off season changes too...including my team..or as our fan base likes to tell it, HERE WE GO AGAIN!{#emotions_dlg.glare}

Honored Contributor

On 12/27/2014 gardenman said:

You guys don't have to thank me for talking football. I enjoy it. We keep a thread going all year. Once the playoffs end, we'll switch to a monthly format with free agency and the draft looming then the mini-camps and training camp and preseason and before you know it the regular season will be starting up again.

The playoffs are going to be interesting this year. There aren't any absolutely unbeatable teams right now. The Packers and Seahawks have looked beatable in recent weeks. The Patriots look like the class of the AFC, but even they don't look unbeatable. I think it would be hilarious if Atlanta somehow made it all the way to the Super Bowl and won.

HEY GARDENMAN....well it does take time and is a lot work and I do appreciate it....

I'm looking forward to the playoffs!!!! And this offseason should be very interesting and very entertaining.....which teams will fire their coach and who will they hire....what will the Bears and Washington do about their QBs.....and their seems to be a QB shortage in the NFL what will teams do....and of course there's free agency and the draft.....

Yes it would be hilarious if the Falcons ended up in the Super Bowl....{#emotions_dlg.laugh}{#emotions_dlg.laugh} Of course the folks in Atlanta would be ecstatic.

This year has been totally unpredictable....just when you think you've seen the #1 team, they falter a bit leaving everything up for grabs in the NFL....I guess that is why the NFL is the #1 sport in America!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}