Esteemed Contributor

Re: Walking and socks

[ Edited ]

Another bummer about ageing: We lose the fat pads in our feet. Wish I could lose it everywhere else! 

I also wear good cushioned shoes with good arch support and replace them after 6-12 months of daily wear. I turned 62 last month.

Honored Contributor

I have rather flat feet, so a lot of those padded in the arch socks hurt my feet like the devil when walking in them.  Just try several kinds and see which work.

Esteemed Contributor

I swear by Smartwool socks.  

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

It might be your shoes.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs, the best socks I have used are double lined socks.  No blisters or sore feet with them.  Athletic shops sell them.  LM

Honored Contributor

I like wright socks ,double layer.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Another consideration is the sock and shoe together.  If the shoes were purchased Wearing a thin sock and later adding a cushion liner and/or heavier socks, the shoe can become too tight.

Honored Contributor

They sell cushioned socks but what type of walking shoe do you have?  It's it well made, high quality shoe?   The young can get away with cheap shoes and "cushioned" does say much.  As se get into our middle years, our feet have done a lot of walking we lose the natural cushioning in our feet.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Walking and socks

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs

Your term "feet are sore" is too vague for me to be able to answer. Blisters/muscles/connective tissues, are just a few things off the top of my head.

Want to keep you walking.           =^..^=

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

I'm not totally sure what you mean by your feet hurt but a couple of suggestions.

Memory foam insoles. My grocery store sells them and I tried them in a pair of old sneakers and got some new life out of them. Worked really well.

Skechers with memory form are really comfortable. I've only tried some of the slide on ones but the regular sneakers should be good. I know a long distance runner that runs in them.

Ryka sneakers are good too but a little harder to find the right fit. They all seem to be different. Also if you find a Ryka you love stock up. They tend to "update" the styles a lot. I currently love the Dash 3 and I have many backups. I loved the original Dash but the Dash 2 was totally different and I hated it so I've learned my lesson. Wish they would just keep some items as a standard.