Honored Contributor

Tonight DH and I started our walking..as long as the weather holds out, weather man says snow on Monday, sigh...

anyway the bottom of my feet are sore,  I rememer this happening last year but forgot...my shoes are not to big or small, I can't figure out why the bottom of my feet hurt.  My feet are not sweaty either.

Are there 'special' socks that I should buy.  Currently I just wear those little short white socks, maybe called footies, not sure.

Any ideas?  Thanks

Respected Contributor

I love to walk and walk many miles each week.  I wear cushioned crew socks.  They have a bit of an extra thickness on the inside of the sole of the sock.  I do not always buy the same brand but I know I have bought this type sock at Kohl’s and WalMart.  Some even have extra ribbing and elastic around the foot for arch support.  

Not it sure this is what you are looking for but they work very well for me.  Hope this helps you because walking is so good for us, but not if it makes our feet sore.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

I wear Tommy Copper socks most of the time, you can get them online, they have all kinds.

Esteemed Contributor

When walking, I wear men's white athletic socks with cushioned soles and arch support knit in.

I never found women's socks that are made as well as men's. Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

Re: Walking and socks

[ Edited ]

What type of footwear are you walking in?  A guess is that the sole isn't cushioned enough.

Esteemed Contributor

Try a gel cushion insole for your shoes. you can pick them up at the drugstore.

Honored Contributor

@PinkyPetunia...currently i am just wearing just the inexpesive footies.....I have never looked for anything better, didn't even realize there was anything out there for walking!!

I appreciate all the suggestions, I will look for something tomorrow.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@PinkyPetunia...currently i am just wearing just the inexpesive footies.....I have never looked for anything better, didn't even realize there was anything out there for walking!!

I appreciate all the suggestions, I will look for something tomorrow.

@Mom2Dogs   I meant what kind of shoe or sneaker are you wearing.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs,  you're losing that built in support, feet can't take the impact they used to. go for the gel insoles. it helps.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge ugh, another sign of aging?? I'm only 62.