Respected Contributor

Re: Vision Blurred after Reading

@River Song How often do you apply your drops?

Trusted Contributor

@On It wrote:

@River Song How often do you apply your drops?

Usually first thing in the morning, then maybe again during the day if I'm reading a lot on devices.   It's easy to forget to blink more often when you're looking at devices.  I also make it a point to look up often and focus on something in the distance.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @On It I know you were asking someone else, but I started using eye drops over 20 years ago after Lasik eye surgery (when I was in my late 30s), which has been a magnificent success to this day, but do require lots eye drops right after surgery.  In my mid-fifties, I started needing eye drops again.  I use the same ones the Lasik doctor recommended because they have no preservatives and can be used as much and as often as needed.  I use Theratears dry eye therapy, single-use vials.  The vials can be reclosed, and if there is some liquid left in the vial and I need it the next day, I will use it.  There are less expensive options that are safe, but I believe these are the safest and most effective drops, because I can use as much and as often as I need, and they have no preservatives.  I have lots of allergies.  I don't use the drops every day.  Sometimes I go weeks without needing them.

Hope this helps.

Respected Contributor

I have Diabetic Macular Edema & dry eyes. My diabetes (Type 1 over 35 years) has been well-controlled & A1C is 6.0. I have been receiving eye injections for over a year. They help tremendously. Use glasses for reading & driving.

I am so thankful to have a fantastic opthalmologist who has kept me under control. I wish you the best in keeping your eyesight healthy.
Trusted Contributor

If you have no serious health conditions contributing to the problem, then I would say it's part of the aging process.  I have no problem with my eyes.  Just recently had them checked and doctor said I'm in tip top shape.  However, I do get blurriness after I read.  I wear glasses now for close up work and that helps.  Muscles change and sometimes weaken as we age.  Try readers if you haven't already.  

Honored Contributor

@On It 

Yes, except I don't read all that much nowadays. On this tablet too long? My eyes have to refocus on the surroundings. Our 4 season patio room is all glass and on the south side of our house. Very bright for my old eyes so I wear a baseball type hat on bright sunny days.

Think since I had cataract surgery on both eyes, it made everything much more vivid. Think maybe that made my eyes more sensitive to brightness.

Age? I started wearing bifocals at 45 years old. A few years later needed to go to trifocals. Had Multi-focal iol put in left eye, and Mono-focal iol put in my right eye. No longer need glasses for distance or small print reading.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@On It The blue light blocking/filter can be part of the prescription for glasses.  Both husband and I spend too much time at a computer screen....went for new glasses a few weeks ago and it was suggested as part of the prescription.  New news to me....and I love my new glasses.

Honored Contributor

My two favorite passtimes, this computer and reading, both for hours each day.  OK, now I get it.  The blue light from the computer is why my vision is blurry after reading a book for a couple hours?