Respected Contributor

Anyone else have the good fortune of getting off diabetes medications ?

I feel so much better !  I have been off meds now for almost 1 year. I probably would still be taking metformin twice daily and a BP pill  had it not been for the knee infection in May of last year that caused me to have a repeat knee replacement. How about that for a way to get off meds but I wouldn't recommend it !Smiley LOL  I really didn't pay much attention to what I ate with type 2 diabetes, including fried food, Barbeque, pasta, etc, love chocolate anything so I ate what I shouldn't have and paid for it with a post op knee infection that landed me in the hospital last June, ( in the middle of the pandemic) first knee replacement parts removed, on a walker, toe touch only and home iv antibiotics for a month. Back in the hospital in August when the antibiotics caused kidney problems, taken off diabetes meds then a repeat knee replacement last September. That changed my mind about what I ate and since they kept me off the meds I decided to really watch my diet. Since then and following up with my PCP and repeat  blood test, my A1C has dropped to 5.6. So my MD stopped meds and I watch my diet( lots of veggies, protein, fish, nuts and occasional chocolate Keto bar or low carb ice cream) I am able to stay off the meds. I have also lost weight and feeling great. Now I check my FBS daily and it's been very good. (I didn't do that before this ordeal) I hope my story helps someone else. Your diet is extremely important along with exercise. Sometimes the Lord has to step on your toes to wake you up !! Have a great day all !

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone else have the good fortune of getting off diabetes medications ?

[ Edited ]

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

I feel so much better !  I have been off meds now for almost 1 year. I probably would still be taking metformin twice daily and a BP pill  had it not been for the knee infection in May of last year that caused me to have a repeat knee replacement. How about that for a way to get off meds but I wouldn't recommend it !Smiley LOL 

I really didn't pay much attention to what I ate with type 2 diabetes, including fried food, Barbeque, pasta, etc, love chocolate anything so I ate what I shouldn't have and paid for it with a post op knee infection that landed me in the hospital last June, ( in the middle of the pandemic) first knee replacement parts removed, on a walker, toe touch only and home iv antibiotics for a month.

Back in the hospital in August when the antibiotics caused kidney problems, taken off diabetes meds then a repeat knee replacement last September. That changed my mind about what I ate and since they kept me off the meds I decided to really watch my diet. Since then and following up with my PCP and repeat  blood test, my A1C has dropped to 5.6.

So my MD stopped meds and I watch my diet( lots of veggies, protein, fish, nuts and occasional chocolate Keto bar or low carb ice cream) I am able to stay off the meds. I have also lost weight and feeling great.

Now I check my FBS daily and it's been very good. (I didn't do that before this ordeal) I hope my story helps someone else. Your diet is extremely important along with exercise. Sometimes the Lord has to step on your toes to wake you up !! Have a great day all !

@Goodie2shoes 

What one eats can have more to do with some diseases than many think. Most know eating too much can cause weight gain. However many of them might not know the possible negative effects it can have on their body, some very serious.

Glad you are doing better.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I know I've avoided becoming diabetic. I was put on statins and that was driving my A1C to go into a prediabetic level. Had I continued taking the statins I would most likely be on metformin by now.

Super Contributor

@SilleeMee Statins have horrible side effects.  Better to stay off them all together!!  Glad to hear you are doing well!!

With lifestyle change, so many people could also get off their diabetic medications.  Sadly most will not though ...

Super Contributor

Congratulations, @Goodie2shoes ! How wonderful for you! I am not a diabetic, but I was getting there, eating the wrong things, including a lot of sugar. I recently started a Keto diet and gave up sugar, and now my knees no longer hurt and I feel so much better! I now believe those who say we need to be mindful of what we eat.  Again, congratulations on all of your accomplishments! 😊

Esteemed Contributor

I have but mine was kind of a strange circumstance. Years and years ago I was on steroids for my arthritis. That caused my sugar to go so high so I was on a oral medication. Then I ended up in the hospital for something else and I was put on insulin at the hospital. Once I got home and recovered the insulin was causing way too many low blood sugars. I just stopped the insulin because the doctor wasn’t listening to my concerns. Here we are 7 years later and I have a normal blood sugar and AC1. Don’t eat a lot of carbs and sugar but I don’t exactly watch it or limit it either. The doctor was rather confused and he had to take the diabetes diagnosis off my chart. Says he will keep it as elevated just too keep a eye on it. Seems the steroids back then really wrecked my system and once they were out my blood sugar stabilized. I even gained 40 lbs after I got back home from the hospital and it still is normal with no meds.
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I know I've avoided becoming diabetic. I was put on statins and that was driving my A1C to go into a prediabetic level. Had I continued taking the statins I would most likely be on metformin by now.

@SilleeMee did you find something else to take instead of statins? I read that about statins causing  blood sugars to rise☹️

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee did you find something else to take instead of statins? I read that about statins causing  blood sugars to rise☹️

@SeaMaiden 

Yes I did find something else. I have been taking berberine for several years. That has brought both my LDL and my A1C numbers back to normal. I do not take any Rx meds at all.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  Yes, I take Berberine also. Thanks for sharing.

Honored Contributor

Congratulations @Goodie2shoes ! Unfortunately, Type 1 diabetics still need to do everything you are doing but with no cure after years of hearing about one, we still are injecting insulin all day long.

There are also many Type 2 diabetics whose pancreas don't produce much insulin and still need it to function.