Respected Contributor

Vision Blurred after Reading

I noticed this probably 20 years ago. After reading for some time distance vision is quite blurred. Stopping reading and looking away fairly often helped when I was younger, but lately not so much. I just have to stop for several minutes before vision is back to normal. My eyes are examined often by my ophthalmologist since I have two conditions that need close monitoring. This is frustrating, but I was wondering if anyone else has seen this worsen with age?

Honored Contributor

Re: Vision Blurred after Reading

@On It I hesitate to post this here, but I'll risk it as a consideration for you.  My diet (and other health considerations). has a lot to do with my vision.  If I go off track, my vision suffers.  It is truly amazing how much control we have over our health.

Respected Contributor

My eyes are blurry after reading anything on my cell phone.  The "blue light" is what I blame it on.   It is so severe, when I look up from the cell, I cannot focus on anything for about 20 minutes. 

This is disconcerning to me as I fear it can cause macular degeneration.  For some reason, TV and desktop monitor screens doesn't affect me, but perhaps since I am not as close to those devices.

Respected Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

My eyes are blurry after reading anything on my cell phone.  The "blue light" is what I blame it on.   It is so severe, when I look up from the cell, I cannot focus on anything for about 20 minutes. 

This is disconcerning to me as I fear it can cause macular degeneration.  For some reason, TV and desktop monitor screens doesn't affect me, but perhaps since I am not as close to those devices.

Thank you! I think you nailed it. I have been doing most of my reading on my iPad. That may just be the problem. I'll use books instead for a while.

Respected Contributor

@On It wrote:

I noticed this probably 20 years ago. After reading for some time distance vision is quite blurred. Stopping reading and looking away fairly often helped when I was younger, but lately not so much. I just have to stop for several minutes before vision is back to normal. My eyes are examined often by my ophthalmologist since I have two conditions that need close monitoring. This is frustrating, but I was wondering if anyone else has seen this worsen with age?

You blurry vision after near work could be related to dry eyes. Many of us have incomplete or infrequent blinks that keep our tears from doing their essential function.

Respected Contributor

@granddi Dry eyes could very well be the problem. I will get the drops my opthamologist recommended and see if they make a difference. I had actually ignored his advice after he said that my eyes were dry and I should use a certain drop. It didn't seem all that important to me because he was explaining how to stave off macular degeneration and the diet I should follow. My fatiguing problem causes me to not process and internalize information when I am tired or stressed. I just didn't do what he said to do.

Thank you to everyone. You gave great advice, and I suspect the blurring is probably caused by a combination of everything you posted.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @On It - What diet were you advised to stave off macular degeneration?

I use drops and do not stay too long at any one time on a screen to avoid blurry vision.  They recommend to stop and glance at a distance every few minutes or so.

I use blue light glases too.

Respected Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe Tobacco use is the #1 risk factor for the onset & progression of macular degeneration.

Diet follows.
Wild salmon twice a week (I do not like fish. He said to eat walnuts and flaxseed instead.)

Foods rich in Lutein: kale, baby kale, uncooked, on salad is best; spinach; kiwi; red grapes; squash (all types)/pumpkin; cucumber; peas; green peppers; celery; green beans/broccoli,/brussel sprouts.

Foods rich in Zeaxanthin: oranges; orange peppers; honey dew melon; mango

Foods rich in both Lutein and Zeaxanthin: egg yolk; corn

Fruit: 1 1/2 cups a day, fresh or frozen, never canned.

Minimal animal fat

Nuts

Whole grains (must have symbol on packaging that indicates whole grain.) It is a small rectangle shape on the back of my Sara Lee multi-grain bread.

Daily multivitamin, such as Centrum Silver

I hope this diet helps. Thank you for the suggestion about lenses. When I get new glasses I hope to add that feature. My lenses are progressive and quite expensive, so I will wait until my prescription changes. 

Trusted Contributor

My eye doctor took one look at me and said I had dry eye, said to blink more often and use eye drops as needed.  I thought I needed a new prescription due to blurred far vision after reading for a while, nope, prescription hardly changed, just need to use eye drops.  One of the joys of getting older. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @On It.. Amazon offers several "blue light fit over glasses".  (That could be the search for them.) The orange ones are best in terms of blue light blocking (I use them at night), but even the clear ones help.