Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SilleeMee   Where do I get these descaling tools?  What are they called.....and what do they look like?

They're called dental scalers. They make them in different sizes and shapes, depending on where they would be used. I buy mine from a medical supply store here locally. I like to see them in person so I know exactly what to look for. But you can also find them on-line. Amazon sells dental hygiene kits with a few different kinds of scalers included in the kits. Just search dental hygiene kits and many will show up so you can take a peek at what they look like. @SeaMaiden

Honored Contributor

I've used Cybersonic for many years now.  It used to be the top one for performance but that could be old info.

One other reason I like them is because they have small round brushes.  The larger ones are just too big for me. Plus, when you buy them from Cybersonic, you get lifetime replacement brushes for a very small fee.

I pay less than $3 a month for the brush heads.  They send two brush heads for each of our two Cybersonic models (both my husband and I have one) every three months.

Trusted Contributor

It seems like many of the Dentist's recommend the Sonicare, so that is what I am using. They also sell them or offer them free to a new patient.  

Honored Contributor

I tried a sonic once and didnt like all the vibration. I have used a spin brush for a long time!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Trusted Contributor

Re: Tooth Brushes

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden  I've tried SoniCare and it felt like a jackhammer in my mouth. I couldn't take the vibration (reminded me of the dentist's drill). So I wouldn't use it. My dentist recommended an Oral B spin brush. I picked up a no-frills model and I love it. I have absolutely no problems using it and actually look forward to using it at night. This one reminds me more of the polishing tool they use at the dentist's office (not the drill!).

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

@morganjen wrote:

@SeaMaiden  I've tried SoniCare and it felt like a jackhammer in my mouth. I couldn't take the vibration (reminded me of the dentist's drill). So I wouldn't use it. My dentist recommended an Oral B spin brush. I picked up a no-frills model and I love it. I have absolutely no problems using it and actually look forward to using it at night. This one reminds me more of the polishing tool they use at the dentist's office (not the drill!).

@morganjen  Thank you for your post! I received the Oral B...and have used it for two days.  I have used the sonicare for probably 25 years.... and will continue to use in the morning.

I find that  the Oral B is to me more like a jack hammer in my mouth over the sonicare..😄  But, I think using the Oral B at night and the sonicare in the morning is a good plan.  I ordered a specific head for the Oral B that I can us to target around my gumline and with my crowns I think that will be a real asset.

i do think the Oral B is better for than a manual Toothbrush which I had been using at night.  So I will see how things go...how my teeth look when I go get my cleanings as far as plaque ( I am one of those "plaquE" type of people no matter what I do!