Honored Contributor

Thank you  to all who posted and gave their feelings on the subject.  I did   go ahead and order  the 1500 Oral B  on Amazon and it will be here today.  I will use it in place of my regular toothbrush that I usually use at night when I brush before bed.....  In the morning I use my Sonicare.  

I like trying new things and will see if the Oral B replacing my regu;lar toothbrush at night  does a better job.  I will let you know what I think. Smiley Happy  

Honored Contributor

Re: Tooth Brushes

[ Edited ]

@bonappetit wrote:

As much as I love my Sonicare, which I have been using for 10+ years, you can't replace dental visits with a great toothbrush.Trust me you CANNOT.

I hate going to the dentist, therefore I do all I can to care for my teeth. Only the dentist can remove stains between the teeth, plaque, check for gum disease etc. 10 years without a dentist visit is NOT recommended. Yes, Sonicare is my toothbrush of choice.

ITA. However, I am the exception. I have zero problems with my teeth or gums. The last time I went it was to check if I needed cleaning or deep scaling and I did not. I won't go to a dentist unless I have a problem. Not everyone needs to go to a dentist every year or even every few years. I try to stay away from doctors and dentists as much as possible. Why fix something if it's not broken.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee     I totally agree with you!  My Teeth have been my health issue over the past years... I go every three months for cleanings.. I have receded gums and a mouthful of crowns and root canals...  If it saves my teeth I will do what I need to do.

But I am not someone to go overboard with going to the doctor or taking  pharmaceuticals or having tests done constantly looking for trouble.  I did back  5 years ago  have all my joints replaced  knees and hips.... had no choice... and I am glad I did it....BUT,    Too many tests... xrays.... drugs going through all that! 

I have taken a vacation from medical doctors since 2015( my second  hip replacement)   giving my body a rest from xrays, test and such.... I suppose I should go have a physical here soon.... maybe I will make that my new years resolution....MAYBE.....

Super Contributor

SilleeMee: "Why fix something if it's not broken"?

Yes, but how does one know this without going to a professional who knows what to look for? Often times disease is silent. As in "a silent killer". One doesn't wait until the car is broken down on the side of the road. Preventative maintenance is the key to good health & other, cars, etc.

Honored Contributor

@camelot wrote:

Nightowlz: 10 years? Really? I find your story hard to believe. I use Sonicare Diamond & have for many, many years. No dentist has ever said anything about showing their patients how to brush & care for teeth. 

@camelot

Seriously it's true. Actually it was over 10 yrs. I told them I had not seen a dentist in at least 10 yrs. When they asked who my dentist was they said well he's been retired longer then that. I had not seen my dentist for several years before he retired.

The dental hygienist is the one who told me I should show her patients how to take care of their teeth. She's my dentists wife.

I had been using Oral B all those years. I just bought the Sonicare Diamond Clean ealier this year.

I have not been back to the dentist now in at least 5 yrs. See if I can make it to 10 yrs again.

I don't see any reason to go if I'm not having any issues.

My teeth are clean. Like I said I use a dental scaler to keep any plaque scaled off my teeth.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Nightowlz  Wow....that is really remarkable!  You must have pretty good teeth genes too.  

@SeaMaiden

I don't know about good teeth genes. I did have problems when I was youger. Just have not had those issues as an adult.

I can't stand dirty teeth so I keep them pretty clean.

The dentist told my DH his teeth were the hardest teeth he has ever worked on. He only has 2 fillings.

Honored Contributor

Re: Tooth Brushes

[ Edited ]

@bonappetit wrote:

Yes, but how does one know this without going to a professional who knows what to look for? Often times disease is silent. As in "a silent killer". One doesn't wait until the car is broken down on the side of the road. Preventative maintenance is the key to good health & other, cars, etc.

I would know if anything is wrong with my oral health or my body. Like I mentioned upthread, I have never had a filing or cavity in any of my teeth...and I still have all of my teeth including all four wisdoms. So if something is not right, then I would definitely take notice and then seek help from a pro. @bonappetit

eta - I'm like @Nightowlz. I use a de-scaling tool along with a dental mirror to see around my teeth and gums. It's amazing how much you can't see otherwise.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@bonappetit wrote:

I would know if anything is wrong with my oral health or my body. Like I mentioned upthread, I have never had a filing or cavity in any of my teeth...and I still have all of my teeth including all four wisdoms. So if something is not right, then I would definitely take notice and then seek help from a pro. @bonappetit

eta - I'm like @Nightowlz. I use a de-scaling tool along with a dental mirror to see around my teeth and gums. It's amazing how much you can't see otherwise.

@SilleeMee

You are so right. I have a couple of crowns that don't cover the full tooth so the plaque/food sits on the top edge of those crowns where you can see tooth. I have to keep food scraped off & around those crowns.  I'm sure I would have had decay by now if I did not do this. You can see what's left after using dental brushes, electric toothbrush & even some floss. I don't mind using that flat floss they make now.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz

I spend more time cleaning my teeth than I do cleaning my face...by a long shot! My bathroom drawer is full of 'cleaning stuff' for my mouth...and then I keep a back-up supply in the closet...LOL!Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   Where do I get these descaling tools?  What are they called.....and what do they look like?