Honored Contributor

Re: The carb difference in sugar free and regular Werthers

Werthers uses mannitol and sorbitol mixture called isomalt. They are not calorie free nor are they low carb.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Werthers uses mannitol and sorbitol mixture called isomalt. They are not calorie free nor are they low carb.

It doesn't claim to be calorie-free; it is low carb.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isomalt

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

It doesn't claim to be calorie-free; it is low carb.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isomalt

I stand corrected on the low carb.Woman Happy @MoonchildeI knew Werthers states on the package about the calories. Some people don't read.Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

I have found most sugar free candy and cookies are geared for diabetics, not for weight control.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't need to control my weight,  but I do watch my carb intake, because I am diabetic.

Taking metformin ,already gives me some  bathroom issues, as well as  my thyroid meds, so it doesn't take much to put me over the edge, with artificial sweeteners

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 said:

"The ADA gives recipes using cane sugar: controlled and used infrequently."

Just IMO, but to me a lot of the ADA food recommendations in general, recipes, etc are geared to Type 1 diabetics, many of whom have to live with the disease since toddlerhood. Because T1 diabetics bolus before meals with insulin, they can eat and process more carbs (and many are growing children) than a T2 diabetic, whose disease has a different cause and IMO it should be acknowledged should be managed differently. (I know, confusing.)

Bottom line is I wish the ADA would "split" and give separate recommendations for Type 1 and Type 2. Today, far more people have T2 than T1, yet all of the ADA's recommendations are calculated as if everyone is T1.

{Off soapbox now.}

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

I can have 4 Werther's sugar-free candies and there is no impact on my blood sugar. If I consumed the sugared variety my blood sugar would go sky high. I am Type 1 on MDI, so any recipe with sugar or grains of any kind is a disaster for me. The ADA recipes are way to high in carbs (in my opinion).

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

@CatLoverDogsToo wrote:

I can have 4 Werther's sugar-free candies and there is no impact on my blood sugar. If I consumed the sugared variety my blood sugar would go sky high. I am Type 1 on MDI, so any recipe with sugar or grains of any kind is a disaster for me. The ADA recipes are way to high in carbs (in my opinion).

@CatLoverDogsToo What is your ratio of insulin to carbohydrates when you bolus? If you ate grains or refined sugar can't you just adjust your insulin dose to cover the carbohydrates? Or do you need to use a large amount of insulin to eat refined carbohydrates and are uncomfortable with doing so.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Poodlepet2 said:

"The ADA gives recipes using cane sugar: controlled and used infrequently."

Just IMO, but to me a lot of the ADA food recommendations in general, recipes, etc are geared to Type 1 diabetics, many of whom have to live with the disease since toddlerhood. Because T1 diabetics bolus before meals with insulin, they can eat and process more carbs (and many are growing children) than a T2 diabetic, whose disease has a different cause and IMO it should be acknowledged should be managed differently. (I know, confusing.)

Bottom line is I wish the ADA would "split" and give separate recommendations for Type 1 and Type 2. Today, far more people have T2 than T1, yet all of the ADA's recommendations are calculated as if everyone is T1.

{Off soapbox now.}

Type 1 are now being given the option of taking metformin with their insulin dosage due to insulin resistance. It seems that when a patient has long standing diabetes they can also develop resistance to insulin and need larger amounts of it over time.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11   I follow the rule of small numbers. Few carbs mean less insulin and lower blood sugar readings. I have a list of foods that adversely affect my blood sugar, and all grains are on it. Prior to being diagnosed with Type 1 I loved steel cut oatmeal with blueberries. I can no longer have that as it raises by blood sugar way too high and I do not choose to chase my blood sugars with more insulin. It is a personal choice. Interestingly, many folks diagnosed as Type 2 may actually be Type 1. Two excellent resources are Blood Sugar 101 by Jenny Ruhl which is primarily for Type 2's, but has excellent explanations relevant to both,  and Dr. Berstein's book Diabetes Solution.  (edited to fix a typos and add resources)

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen