Honored Contributor

Re: The carb difference in sugar free and regular Werthers

@CatLoverDogsToo wrote:

@Trinity11   I follow the rule of small numbers. Few carbs mean less insulin and lower blood sugar readings. I have a list of foods that adversely affect my blood sugar, and all grains are on it. Prior to being diagnosed with Type 1 I loved steel cut oatmeal with blueberries. I can no longer have that as it raises by blood sugar way too high and I do not choose to chase my blood sugars with more insulin. It is a personal choice. Interestingly, many folks diagnosed as Type 2 may actually be Type 1. Two excellent resources are Blood Sugar 101 by Jenny Ruhl which is primarily for Type 2's, but has excellent explanations relevant to both,  and Dr. Berstein's book Diabetes Solution.  (edited to fix a typos and add resources)

Thank you. What you just posted makes sense. I am familiar with Dr. Bernstein's approach to diabetes but long term it takes great fortitude and a willingness to eat a relatively higher fat content, high protein diet. From what I remember he even limits fruit. 

Frequent Contributor

Re: The carb difference in sugar free and regular Werthers

@HerRoyaLioness wrote:

Very true, depending on what it is sweetened with, which many times is not very good. And the amount used.

The only sweetener I will use is (pure, powdered) Stevia, mostly in my yogurt, works great and doesn't bother my stomach at all! 

Stevia is what hat I like to use too @HerRoyaLioness.