Honored Contributor

Thankfully she received proper medical attention. Her story will help women. 

While online reading the experience came across Susan's wedding picture...

Sept 1969 reason why chose not posting (copyright infringement) wasn't sure. 

Beautiful couple, wedding dress beyond perfection-magnificent. 

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

I read somewhere where SL suffered from Afib, sorry to hear she ended up with other heart problems as well. My doctor says a lot of it is heredity, but you can certainly minimize your risk for these diseases with a healthy life style.

@blackhole99

I saw her interview on a morning show about her events. While she did have 1 artery 90% blocked, and another 75% blocked, she avoided any damage to her heart. She did not say anything about having A-Fib, or any other problem related to her heart.

• Genetics has been a known reason for Heart Related Disease for many decades now, this is not something new.  If one has genetic predisposition to heart disease it does not mean having a heart attack is not preventable.
  • Anyone can easily find the Major Risk factors pertaining to Cardiovasular Disease. Reading them is 1 thing, but removing or lessening all the ones possible, takes a willingness to do so, and a lot of dedicated work to accomplish it.

That is why is so important finding the blocked arteries, before having a heart attack. You lose none of your heart muscle. Early detection saves heart muscle damage caused by a heart attack, the damage is permanent.

I unfortunately have had 2 heart attacks, both caused by a 100% blocked Right Coronary Artery. Now the lower portion of my heart muscle no longer fully functions. When heart muscle is lost, it is permanent.

Just another very strong reason for the ladies, and men, to follow through with annual blood lipid tests, and even a stress test, if approved by your Physician. I have been telling the ladies here, for years, to insist if going to an ER, that they get treated the same way as males when they say "I think I may be having a heart attack"!  I saw a Stat today that said: "More women die of Heart Disease than all Cancers Combined". That should be an eye opener for all ladies.

If in doubt? Get to an ER ASAP!!!!

hckynut

@hckynut  My blockages (a couple minor &  1 major)  were found before a heart attack, I feel fortunate for that. But since I have collateral arteries making up for the blood flow they wouldn't address the blockages! I'm certain it's all about insurance. Woman Indifferent  I've been instructed to 'just take care of the collaterals'. So I check my bp daily (it's always normal- even at my previous 2x size!) -  I do cardio and strength training 2-3 times a week, and I take my heart rate throughout each session.

I had a cath done in 2011 and it was clear. And less than 4 years later during pre op testing I ahd a cath done again and the right artery was totally blocked. No family history of heart disease; my Dad had heart issues as a result of failing kidneys (mine are ok).

I've gone beyond getting a second opinion- I'm up to 4 opinions now! Woman Frustrated Anyone with heart disease follow Dr Ornish's plan?  That's the only thing different my current cardiologist has suggested.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Even if you live a healthy lifestyle, your numbers could be bad. It's important to have your blood chemistry numbers checked often and take action to do something about them if they aren't good. Makes me wonder if SL was following her doctor's orders and if her numbers were bad.

No @SilleeMee, her physician told her that this is strictly from genetics. There is an interview with her physician and how he told her she has the heart now of a 20 year old. Right before her heart attack she had a complete physical. All was within normal range.

Hi @Trinity11,

First, I hope things are getting better for you. Second, thank you for your kind comments in your other post.

Unless I misunderstood Susan in her interview, she did not have a heart attack. I mentioned in my other post how important it is to find the blockages "before" one suffers a heart attack.

I really hope things are getting better for you as you have several things you are dealing with now. You are a very strong person and with your positivity, it can make a big difference.

My very best to you my friend,

JOhn

Hi @hckynut. Yes, Susan did in fact have a heart attack. When they did the CT scan, she was in the process of having a heart attack. Check out the Today Show /Feb 6 by Drew Weisholz. It states that Susan was whisked to an ER room, where a CT scan revealed she was having a heart attack, often referred to as a "widowmaker". There was a 90% blockage in her heart's main artery and 70 percent blockage in another as well.

Thanks for asking how I am doing. Hanging in there but have never re-gained my prior level of fitness or good health no matter what I do. That's why it is so important to listen to our bodies. I had plenty of symptoms before my first heart attack. I just ignored them and figured I had pulled a muscle in the gym.

Hope you are doing well...

@Trinity11 The 'widowmaker' heart attack  refers to the blockage being on the left side. Which was Susan's? 

That's the tricky thing with the heart- it's a muscle. So if we're doing cardio and stength training, as patients are instructed,  it's natural to think we might have strained a muscle!  That's why I take my heart rate throughout each session- that it's going up when it should, and also getting back to the resting state when I cool down.

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@on the bay  One of the biggest misconceptions doctors say patients have is that they know everything going on in your body after a physical.  They do not. 

A blood test will not detect clogs or clots and neither will a stethoscope unless the heart has been severely compromised and, by that time, the patient probably already has sought treatment for the shortness of breath, swelling, or pain which is what SL did.  

Just goes to show, you know you best.  

@Laura14 testing the blood for your  troponin level can determine heart troubles; unfortuntely it's not a preventative test. You already had an issue.

Honored Contributor

@Ibby114  Exactly.  They just don't do most tests available preventatively for money and resource reasons unless they are actively looking for something.  

Honored Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

I read somewhere where SL suffered from Afib, sorry to hear she ended up with other heart problems as well. My doctor says a lot of it is heredity, but you can certainly minimize your risk for these diseases with a healthy life style.

@blackhole99

I saw her interview on a morning show about her events. While she did have 1 artery 90% blocked, and another 75% blocked, she avoided any damage to her heart. She did not say anything about having A-Fib, or any other problem related to her heart.

• Genetics has been a known reason for Heart Related Disease for many decades now, this is not something new.  If one has genetic predisposition to heart disease it does not mean having a heart attack is not preventable.
  • Anyone can easily find the Major Risk factors pertaining to Cardiovasular Disease. Reading them is 1 thing, but removing or lessening all the ones possible, takes a willingness to do so, and a lot of dedicated work to accomplish it.

That is why is so important finding the blocked arteries, before having a heart attack. You lose none of your heart muscle. Early detection saves heart muscle damage caused by a heart attack, the damage is permanent.

I unfortunately have had 2 heart attacks, both caused by a 100% blocked Right Coronary Artery. Now the lower portion of my heart muscle no longer fully functions. When heart muscle is lost, it is permanent.

Just another very strong reason for the ladies, and men, to follow through with annual blood lipid tests, and even a stress test, if approved by your Physician. I have been telling the ladies here, for years, to insist if going to an ER, that they get treated the same way as males when they say "I think I may be having a heart attack"!  I saw a Stat today that said: "More women die of Heart Disease than all Cancers Combined". That should be an eye opener for all ladies.

If in doubt? Get to an ER ASAP!!!!

hckynut

@hckynut  My blockages (a couple minor &  1 major)  were found before a heart attack, I feel fortunate for that. But since I have collateral arteries making up for the blood flow they wouldn't address the blockages! I'm certain it's all about insurance. Woman Indifferent  I've been instructed to 'just take care of the collaterals'. So I check my bp daily (it's always normal- even at my previous 2x size!) -  I do cardio and strength training 2-3 times a week, and I take my heart rate throughout each session.

I had a cath done in 2011 and it was clear. And less than 4 years later during pre op testing I ahd a cath done again and the right artery was totally blocked. No family history of heart@ disease; my Dad had heart issues as a result of failing kidneys (mine are ok).

I've gone beyond getting a second opinion- I'm up to 4 opinions now! Woman Frustrated Anyone with heart disease follow Dr Ornish's plan?  That's the only thing different my current cardiologist has suggested.

@Ibby114

A good friend of mine had a quadruple bipass many years ago and afterwards, at the suggestion of his doctor, went on the Ornish plan.  He did great and is still doing great (and still following the Ornish plan) - has to be over 20 years now.

Honored Contributor

No one here knows how much heredity, diet, lifestyle, and stress contributed to SL's blockage.  Not even her doctor.

It is reasonable to consider that without her attention to fitness and diet that, given her family history (father) that without that attention she would have faced this issue decades earlier.  I believe the no. 1 killer of women in their 40's is now heart disease?

We also don't know what sort of stress she lived with and, more importantly, how she dealt with that stress.  It could be a very significant factor.

I found it a rather astounding thing for a doctor to say that after putting stents into her heart that she now has the heart of a 20 year old.  A healthy 20 year old heart doesn't have stents in it.  Sounds like hubris to me.

JMO.    

Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

No one here knows how much heredity, diet, lifestyle, and stress contributed to SL's blockage.  Not even her doctor.

It is reasonable to consider that without her attention to fitness and diet that, given her family history (father) that without that attention she would have faced this issue decades earlier.  I believe the no. 1 killer of women in their 40's is now heart disease?

We also don't know what sort of stress she lived with and, more importantly, how she dealt with that stress.  It could be a very significant factor.

I found it a rather astounding thing for a doctor to say that after putting stents into her heart that she now has the heart of a 20 year old.  A healthy 20 year old heart doesn't have stents in it.  Sounds like hubris to me.

JMO.    

@QueenDanceALot I agree. They said Davy Jones had the heart of a teenager, and 6 months later he was gone.

Honored Contributor

When I had my heart cath, the Dr told my husband, I have the heart of a runner. I have never ran in my life. I am 72 ,and my arteries are all clear.

It isn't anything I have done special, mine is just down to genes. I come from good stock ,and  that is a gift.  I am very lucky ,because he told my husband ,one of my arteries is narrower than normal.

Honored Contributor

I would like to know what a complete physical  consists of???

I don't think I have ever had one. I go to the doctor once per year for a blood test so I can get a refill on my thyroid medication.

They stick that thing on my finger to check oxygen, roll that out of space thermometer across my forehead, listen to my heart sometimes, press on my legs, send me to do labs which consist of A1C, lipid panel, TSH plus a few other thyroid tests, CBC & CMP. That's pretty much all they do when I see the doctor. Is this a physical?