Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I find it difficult to believe,some one has never had the flu for their entire life,with raising kids,having a  husband,or wife,once one of us got the flu back  our time of kids,and all we all got the flu.

@goldensrbest it happens.  Now, I only raised one kid, and as far as I know she has never had the flu either.  I'll have to ask.  I don't remember her getting flu shots as a child.  Also, a couple of years ago, the year there was a really bad flu bug going around, I spent an entire week in close quarters with a lady who found out after we had checked out that she had the flu.  She had laid around all week, only skiing early in the week.  We had one day where it snow stormed and I spent most of the day in a chair next to the couch she was laying on.  She barely had the energy to get her bags down to the lobby.  Neither me nor my husband came down with it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA  I have been getting the flu shot since I've had grandchildren. I've had the flu, and it sidelines me for 3 or 4 days for sure, but I don't want to give it to the kiddies. It's hard on the tiny ones, so I hear.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

DH and I went to get our senior strength flu shots yesterday at our local pharmacy.   Everything went well...we had appointments so there were no other people waiting.  The only thing I did not like was that the doctor (or nurse) that gave the shot was really close to us.  They give the shots in a small closet type of room...of course we all masks on....but I did not like being so close in such a tight space getting the shot.  

My arm is only sore just a bit IF I touch the area....other than that no side effects at all.  In two weeks we will go for our pneumonia shots. I like to space out vaccinations. 

@SeaMaiden I hate to break it to you but if you went to the pharmacy for your flu shot it was most likely the pharmacist that administered it, not a doctor or nurse.

@CelticCrafter @Why do you say YOU HATE TO BREAK IT TO ME?  It makes  no difference. It is just a shot.  Not rocket science😄

Trusted Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

On the advice of my dr I don't get a flu shot because of my auto immune disorder. 

What concerns me is that people get their immunizations on the advice of advertising and not a consult with their dr.

What's new this year is the appearance of a new heavy duty flu shot for those over 65. The marketing is well, more is better!

@Snowpuppy   Flu shot does not do us any good, so no need to get it.  Save it for someone else.  

-------------

@Nonametoday 

I'm not sure, if you're referring to a specific group, or, the flu shot, in general, when you say it does no good, but, you're wrong!

I certainly hope, that no one, relies, on a message forum, for medical advice! Even so, I think your advice, is based on your opinion, and irresponsible.

If, by chance, you're referring to senior's and the flu shot, it's true, the shot may not be as effective at 75, as at 25, but, that's not the shot, that's, the simple fact, that, like everything else, our immune systems, decline with aging. 

But, isn't some protection, better than none?

Honored Contributor

I guess I have it figured this way:  My mom and dad got their flu shot every year. Dad lived to be 89 and Mom turns 91 this week. 

Last year I got the flu shot in Oct. Yes, I still got the B flu the last week of Feb. Then covid came in. I was a very long time getting over the B flu. Many thought I may have gotten covid, too.  I don't know...I haven't been tested.  From what I understand, the flu can lower your resistance and make it easier to get covid so yes, I'm getting the shot! 

I  mentioned on another thread that I have been on a lot of antibiotics, pain meds, and some steroids so my doctor wants me to wait till we are into Nov. a bit before I get my shot.  Also, I think it best to get it a little later this year so it may last, hopefully, into Spring.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Reconsidering Flu Shot

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

DH and I went to get our senior strength flu shots yesterday at our local pharmacy.   Everything went well...we had appointments so there were no other people waiting.  The only thing I did not like was that the doctor (or nurse) that gave the shot was really close to us.  They give the shots in a small closet type of room...of course we all masks on....but I did not like being so close in such a tight space getting the shot.  

My arm is only sore just a bit IF I touch the area....other than that no side effects at all.  In two weeks we will go for our pneumonia shots. I like to space out vaccinations. 

@SeaMaiden 

Well, how in the hell else was she supposed to give you your flu shot?

Use a six foot long needle?

😄 Smiley Very Happy 😆

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Re: Reconsidering Flu Shot

[ Edited ]

@noodleann 

I have two autoimmune diseases.  My Immunologist, and PharmD, both recommended the Low dose for me rather than the Sr. dose.

We’re all different.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

well, i almost lost my life in 2019 due to a perforated bowel.  that incident really brought me face to face with my mortality.    this happened in july, and i can remember thinking in september 2019 (when i was still far from any kind of recovery) that i would be unable to get a flu shot, and i was also remembering how many times i put off the pneumonia and the shingles vaccine.  

this year i did all three.  flu shot, done.  pheumonia shot done.  both shingles shots done.  

Honored Contributor

There are no guarantees with anything.  But I believe if you have something which could help you, why not do it?  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

There are no guarantees with anything.  But I believe if you have something which could help you, why not do it?  

I am kind of thinking that way, too.  Even if it's only 50% effective, isn't that at least a 50%  chance it will be?????  Also a 50% chance you won't spread it to someone else???