Esteemed Contributor

I'm 72, so last year I had the "seniors" flu shot that seems to be more potent (for lack of a better term). I was sick for 2 days - lethargic, chills, no energy, and slept as much as I could. Yesterday, I had my 2020 flu shot and asked for the regular vaccine because of my reaction last year. Last night I started getting chills and didn't feel good - woke up this morning with chills and spent most of the morning on the sofa sleeping under a heavy throw. I had no energy this morning and am just now starting to feel a bit more normal. It seems like my body just doesn't react well to the flu shots. I'm small in stature - 107 pounds and don't know if that has anything to do with it. But - I'm starting to think that with my limited exposure to other people and my reaction to the vaccine, that I may just stop getting them. Has anyone else had reactions like this?

Frequent Contributor

I got my "senior" shot yesterday and today the injection site is bright red and itchy and a hard lump.  I look like I worked out with weights.   Hope you feel better .

Honored Contributor

I have had flu shots since they were invented.  I had my first and only bad reaction this year--to the senior shop which i have had before.

If not for covid I would have gone to the er.  

Respected Contributor

Jannabelle, I am 70 years old. I take the flu shot every year and I have never had a reaction to it. In 2017 I had the regular flu shot and got the flu. Didn't know to ask for the senior shot.  Trust me I have had the flu a couple of time when I was much younger and you do not want to chance getting the flu. Take the shot and take ibuprofen for fever and you will be ok in a few days. Better this than to risk getting the flu at our age. 

Trusted Contributor

My younger sister-65-got the senior one 2 weeks ago.  She puffed up in her stomach and face and felt horrible.  I have not gotten it.

Need to go get my 2nd dose of the pneumonia one.

A friend got her 2nd pneumonia shot in January and she got pneumonia a few months later. Go figure.

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1@bunk 

Both of your reactions are normal reactions to the flu shot, and what I have experienced many times.   

I never take a flu shot without taking Aleve the day before; at least 3 doses in my body before I get the shot, which does make a difference in how I feel afterwards.   

Respected Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

I'm 72, so last year I had the "seniors" flu shot that seems to be more potent (for lack of a better term). I was sick for 2 days - lethargic, chills, no energy, and slept as much as I could. Yesterday, I had my 2020 flu shot and asked for the regular vaccine because of my reaction last year. Last night I started getting chills and didn't feel good - woke up this morning with chills and spent most of the morning on the sofa sleeping under a heavy throw. I had no energy this morning and am just now starting to feel a bit more normal. It seems like my body just doesn't react well to the flu shots. I'm small in stature - 107 pounds and don't know if that has anything to do with it. But - I'm starting to think that with my limited exposure to other people and my reaction to the vaccine, that I may just stop getting them. Has anyone else had reactions like this?

At 72 you are prime age to get seriously ill from the seasonal flu. Your immune system is not that strong.  I'd speak with your MD before making a decision. May save your life.

Valued Contributor

The flu shot does not guarentee that you will not get the flu it just might prevent it.

My mother is in her late 80's and has gotten the senior formula for a number of years and as far as I know she has not had reactions. She has heart health issues and has gone out but sparingly. What happened to you might be just due to your own system.

Two yrs ago I got the flu shot (I am not a senior) and a few days later I was diagnosed with thyroiditis as a result of the flu shot -----per two doctors. I was hesitant to take the flu shot last year but I did and I got my shot this year and so far so goo. So it just might be the strain that might be causing your reactions.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks to all of you for your reply. @RedTop, I never would have thought to take Aleve prior to the getting the vaccine, but I will definitely bring this up when I talk to my PCP this year....it makes sense.

@ahoymate, you're right - I need to consider thisa bit more...I'll talk to my PCP. I never used to have a reaction like this, except for the last couple of years. I seldom get sick from anything.

Esteemed Contributor

Have never had a bad reaction - but if I did like ( you )- I would give it second thought too.  

Those who have grandchildren or lots of visitors should get the flu shot - but those with limited exposure - it's a roll of the dice.

P.S.   haven't gotten mine yet this year -