Respected Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

@ALRATIBA I think you should do whatever seems right for you, without any interference from others.  You know what makes sense to you, and what is best for you, intuitively.  Do not ever feel guilty about doing what you, personally, think is best for yourself.  We must always listen to our inner voice.  I have found that my inner voice never leads me to the wrong conclusion.

You're lucky to have such an infallible inner voice. Mine is always telling me to get those cream donuts I see in the supermarket and that I can pay the garbage bill next week, neither of which is wise.

Sometimes you need to muzzle your inner voice, see what the experts say, and make an informed decision. Less id, more ego. AKA, behaving like an adult.

Respected Contributor

I disagree with you, @noodleann.  My inner voice is quite wonderful and illuminating. It has kept me from being raped, and it has saved a friend's and my father's life.  I will never, ever doubt it.  I started doubting medical "experts" when one of them killed my mother, because I trusted and placed faith in that medical "expert's" opinion.  I will never again trust a medical expert's recommendation for surgery or medication, without first fully researching their recommendations.  If you wish to trust every word out of the mouths of people who wear white coats and stethoscopes, or who attended an expensive ivy league school and got a Masters degree in public health, however, go right ahead; that is up to you. 

Many people who decline an annual flu shot are making a fully informed decision.  I have met and spoken with two women who developed Guillain-Barré paralysis from a seasonal flu shot they received.  Should they take another one-- every single year for the rest of their lives?  I don't think so, and neither do they. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

On the advice of my dr I don't get a flu shot because of my auto immune disorder. 

What concerns me is that people get their immunizations on the advice of advertising and not a consult with their dr.

What's new this year is the appearance of a new heavy duty flu shot for those over 65. The marketing is well, more is better!

The senior flu shot is not new.  It has been around for years.  Even though I am not a senior, my PCP recommended it for me one year.  The next year, regular.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA   I never get the flu shot anymore (I used to back in the 90s).  It's been decades since I've gotten the flu and to me it's not worth the possible side effects. 

People often don't realize that getting a flu vaccine for some could have serious side effects....it's a risk one has to weigh.  They never tell you about it and say that it's rare if you ask...yes it is until something happens to you or a family member.

To me it's a no brainer to try to get my immune system in top shape by eating healthy foods, and getting my vitamin D levels up.  I also take vitamin C, Zinc & quercetin everyday too. 

Since I'm retired and because of the pandemic I'm not around many people either.

Respected Contributor

Re: Reconsidering Flu Shot

[ Edited ]

fwiw - I had a conversation with someone a few years back who got the flu shot - and nearly died. These vaccines can be dangerous in and of themselves so be careful about just going along with it - and definitely don't judge others for their choice not to get it themselves.

Honored Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud 

Totally agree - I don't want a repeat of last year's flu shot reaction experience.  

---------------------------------------------

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

fwiw - I had a conversation with someone a few years back that got the flu shot - and nearly died. These vaccines can be dangerous in and of themselves so be careful about just going along with it - and definitely don't judge others for their choice not to get it themselves.

Honored Contributor

@furbabylover wrote:

Its interesting to see all the positive votes for the flu shot. My husband and I asked our doctor about it and he said that the shots are only about 40-50% effective. When we pressed him about it he would only repeat the numbers and not give a yay or nay about it. Its so confusing!!

I'm thinking of the times that some doctors have said something and the whatever went the other way for the patient.  Doctors although doing the best they can, with what they have, are only human.  Your body, your decision, the results are your responsibility.  You only can blame yourself if it turns out to be the wrong decision (or right one) in your case.

Esteemed Contributor

Read in the news today that we are seeing the first hospitalized patients with both flu and covid.  Not very reassuring.

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess ...Many years ago I had a doctor who didn't believe in flu shots.  For whatever reason, that stuck in my head and I have never had one.  I also never got the flu and worked with a lot of people being the Building Manager at Warner Bros Studios in Burbank.

To this day I continue to take a multivitamin along with Vitamin C and haven't had a cold, flu or any other illness (knock wood) other than my broken hip and three back surgeries.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam