Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I've been getting email reminders to get a flu shot - and this morning it occurred to me:

Why?  We are wearing masks and social distancing.  Why do we need a flu shot?

Last year, I was feeling awful for two weeks after the shot - and I've been putting off getting the shot. 

There have been a couple of years I got both the flu shot and the (diagnosed by doctor) flu, and the flu didn't last as long as the side-effects of last year's shot.

@ALRATIBA   That's a decision you and you alone can make, but I would hope you make that decision after discussion with your primary care physician.  I wish you the best whatever you decide.  

Honored Contributor

Just my opinion, so for what it's worth:  first check with your doctor and see what he recommends.  At my age, I've had mine.  Insurance pays for it, I hate being THAT sick, I get really sick with the flu, and it's SO hard on my body now.  

But I'm not in favor of Russian roulette.

Trusted Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I've been getting email reminders to get a flu shot - and this morning it occurred to me:

Last year, I was feeling awful for two weeks after the shot - and I've been putting off getting the shot. 

There have been a couple of years I got both the flu shot and the (diagnosed by doctor) flu, and the flu didn't last as long as the side-effects of last year's shot.

No one is more scared of people contact than I have been the last 8-10 months but I am smart enough to know its important to get a flu shot.  I called one place last night, asked if they were busy, they said no, I went in with my mask on the onlyperson I came in contact with was the person giving the shot, we both had masks on, my head was turned away, from the time I left my  house til th time I got back in my recliner was 20 minutes.  

My doctor is all about the flu shot so yes I get one every year.  seldom a bad reaction.  My arm is a tad sore this morning but I anticipate by tomorrow I will be good as new.

I may be scared but i am not stupid, Flu shot it is.

Honored Contributor

I don't think calling someone "stupid" because they feel they are doing the best for themselves is a good idea.  

I've been back and forth about getting a flu vaccine.  I am 70, in good health and have never had the flu.  Considering that the flu vaccine, as I understand it, is at best 50% effective and that there can be serious side effects from getting the vaccine, I am still undecided.

I stay away from people, keep my hands away from my face and wash my hands frequently.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I brought up that exact point with my doctor about a month ago.  

I asked him with those precautions in place, wouldn't the flu be relatively hard to catch?  His response: "That's what we're hoping.  But you know, people don't all follow the guidelines..."

I got my flu shot.  But I did only get the regular strength even though I'm a senior.  I just had a bit of a sore arm for a couple of days.  Nothing else.

Esteemed Contributor

So many strains of the flu.... Totally agree with you

To many acquaintances get sick other issues with these shots

Honored Contributor

It's silly to blame your "two weeks of being sick" on your last flu shot. The vaccine is not a live virus! I just can't understand the reasoning of not getting a vaccine to prevent one from getting sick. Woman Frustrated

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

What does your doctor say?  If your doctor recommends the flu shot, and you won't take it for your own sake, please do the responsible thing and consider taking it for those you might infect if you get the flu.  Tens of thousands of people die in this country every year from the flu -- if you could do something to spare someone else that horror, why wouldn't you?.

Regular Contributor

Re: Reconsidering Flu Shot

[ Edited ]

Think about this: with the virus, the third wave of the infection in the US now, hospital ICU's full, some have set up tents, wards to care for the overflow. Some are going to have to ration care. What does that mean?

When they look at an elderly person, you may be the one they select to forgo care. Especially if they see you didn't even care enough about your health to get a flu shot in 2020. Think about that.

Trusted Contributor

i haven't gotten the flu shot since i was a child. this year, i'm going to. i don't go out, but i'm still going to get it. that, plus a host of other vaccines i never even got in my life. just feels like i should.