Honored Contributor

I've been getting email reminders to get a flu shot - and this morning it occurred to me:

Why?  We are wearing masks and social distancing.  Why do we need a flu shot?

Last year, I was feeling awful for two weeks after the shot - and I've been putting off getting the shot. 

There have been a couple of years I got both the flu shot and the (diagnosed by doctor) flu, and the flu didn't last as long as the side-effects of last year's shot.

Respected Contributor

Really? Questioning a flu shot during the Covid19 virus and the current surge in the US? It's a no-brainer! Masks, social distancing, 6 feet, wash your hands frequently & get a flu shot.

Come on.

Honored Contributor

I've never had any side effects from the flu shot other than some mild site soreness and I've never had the flu (knocking on wood).

I had mine for this year last week.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I haven't had the flu shot since adolescence and I've never had the flu. I don't remember ever having any side effects from the flu shot when I was a child though.  I don't think the fact that we're wearing masks and socially distancing should really factor into your decision though.  It's what I've always chosen to do and what I still choose to do. 

Trusted Contributor

@ALRATIBA : You remind me a bit of my sister except she took it to an extreme. She'd say the flu shot made her feel like she got the flu so quit getting them. She'd even scoff at those signs advertising flue shots and say, "good luck people".

Then 3 years ago she got so sick with the flu she wasn't sure she would make it. Ran a fever for almost 2 weeks. Can't remember the other symptoms. Took her to the doctor who confirmed it was the flu that was going around.

Anyway, after that she won't skip her flu shot and interestingly, has not said she has felt sick afterwards.

Good luck and I sure hope you stay well.

Esteemed Contributor

On the advice of my dr I don't get a flu shot because of my auto immune disorder. 

What concerns me is that people get their immunizations on the advice of advertising and not a consult with their dr.

What's new this year is the appearance of a new heavy duty flu shot for those over 65. The marketing is well, more is better!

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC unkind towards another poster

Esteemed Contributor

I've written about the one year I didn't get the flu shot, caught the flu, and almost died. I have asthma and it was awful. My fever was 105 for days and I couldn't move. Worse yet,I had to cancel a trip to Paris. My husband took great care of me and yet he never caught it. From that horrible experience, I never forgot my flu shots every yeàr, especially in 2020. Masks are very important but they are not 100% foolproof. Why not take EVERY precaution to avoid the Grim Reaper.

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

On the advice of my dr I don't get a flu shot because of my auto immune disorder. 

What concerns me is that people get their immunizations on the advice of advertising and not a consult with their dr.

What's new this year is the appearance of a new heavy duty flu shot for those over 65. The marketing is well, more is better!

@Snowpuppy   Flu shot does not do us any good, so no need to get it.  Save it for someone else.  

QVC Customer Care