Respected Contributor

I am not on the HIPPA form only my BIL. She had a Lumbar Puncture and a head/ neck MRI late this afternoon. BIL said it was obvious the " b team" was working today since it was a holiday. He will be staying the night with her but he has to wear mask and gown like the nurses do. They are still trying to get her fever down and she can only have a light sheet on her...no blankets. She is usually always cold anyway, so this must he really uncomfortable for her. NIL says all she wants to do is sleep. He asked the nurses about visitors and they said no and now have it on her door, so no need to go yet.

Won't know until in the morning when the neuro comes by what the test results are. Then we will know if it is viral or bacterial. They are both homebodies; can't imagine where she picked this up.

Thanks for all of the good wishes and info. It is really helpful. This is the best place ever! 

Respected Contributor

Praying

Valued Contributor

Sending prayers for your sister.

Respected Contributor

@Trailrun23 

As many posters have already said, your sister at this point needs the care she is getting now.  This disease is very contagious: you need to stay healthy so you can be there for DH now and your sister later.

How or where someone picks up the illness may never be known.

A dear friend survived this illness a while back.  The only after effect she notices is that her short term memory is not what it used to be.  

Since we worked together almost 50 years ago, when I remind her of something that happened, she doesn't remember it.  So, I tell her the story and it sounds familiar.  Time goes by and I will mention it in passing but she has no recall.   She simply thinks that I tell the most interesting stories !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

My experience with meningitis is one at the professional level. I am a retired lab tech and I know how they collect specimens, test and confirm the infection. It can be highly contagious. Spreads by air droplets. 

@SilleeMee 

Hi (waving)

So, because it could be possibly spread through air droplets, perhaps this is why the patient is in isolation?

Stay well!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

Best thing to do is stay put.   Sounds like your DH needs you too and sadly there is nothing you can do for her right now.   Do not spread yourself too thin, try to keep yourself healthy and rested as difficult as that may seem.  Sending you strength, courage and prayers. @Trailrun23 

I agree with this too and also calling the hospital where she is and asking the nurse...hopefully they can tell you a little something to ease your mind.

praying🙏🏻

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

@Trailrun23 @Oh gosh! I don't have much to add however, I'm sending huge hugs, thoughts and prayers your way! I hope and pray for healing for her and peace and calmness for you and your family!💕💕

Esteemed Contributor

My best wishes for recovery.

Respected Contributor

Update on my sister....BIL said a new infectious disease dr. came in this morning and said the lumbar puncture will happen this afternoon and only then will he know exactly which virus or bacteria is involved. They are giving her a lot of antibiotics just in case it is  not viral and will go with more specific antibiotics when they get the results back.  BIL did say she was lucid for a short time this morning so that was reassuring. Her fever is down but still fluctuating. Thank you so much for your continued prayers. Hoping to hear about a treatment plan and definite diagnosis today. Her diabetes is a problem since she is not eating. I wanted to send flowers or a plant but BIL said can't have them in her unit. Don't know why that is. 

Respected Contributor

@Trailrun23, you and your sister have been on my mind. So glad your BIL is providing updates. It sounds as if they have a course of action and know what they're doing. 

I assume nothing can be brought in from the outside for fear of it containing something that may contaminate and compromise her condition.