Esteemed Contributor
I take it every night. It makes me sleepy and I fall asleep and sleep for a good 5-6 hours. Prior to Melatonin I took Tylenol PM or Benadryl. I also take the chewable Melatonin which I think works faster
Honored Contributor

I take a very low dose of Melatonin every night.  500 mcg. Works like a charm.

Respected Contributor

I take between 1-3 mg sublingual about a half hour before I go to sleep. Any higher dose gives me vivid disturbing dreams.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

I take 5mg every night. Even if I stay up an hour or two afterwards it helps me go to sleep faster and stay asleep linger. 

Honored Contributor

I take it every night.  I take a 10 mg sublingual tablet  three each night.  So 30 mgs a night.  Works great for me.

Regular Contributor

It works for me. I take 6 mg an hr before bed. Thank God for it.

Trusted Contributor

I find that melatonin only helps me marginally. I do keep it on hand, but at best it only helps me slightly at that typical 3am waking up. I usually take it with valerian in the wee hours.

I have one of those minds which goes into overtime, flooded with thoughts all during the night.

Respected Contributor

It does work but I can't handle the super vivid really intense dreams so I no longer take it.

Contributor

I take 5 mg. of melatonin every night about a half hour before going to bed and it works well for me. I have severe rheumatoid arthritis and went through a period of almost unbearable pain when lying down. I can't take pain meds at night as they keep me awake so I started taking Ambien. When I was hospitalized last April the hospitalist suggested I try Melatonin. She suggested a dose of 5 mg. 

Honored Contributor

I take it every night.  It has something else in it.  I'm too lazy to look.

My Dr told me to take it.  I also have terrible arthritis.

I got myself a Fitbit Versa (my daughter wanted me to get it).

It tells me how I've slept.  Can I say...not that good!  Ha!

Only one day this week it say it was 'good'.  Usually it's fair.

I only sleep about 4 hours a night.

Last night it was 5 hrs 24 minutes.  49%light, 15%deep, 1hr 7min REM and 15% awake.

It varies.  I'm working on more REM, etc.

I've had 3 professional sleep studies done.  I know exactly how I sleep and why, etc.

If you are having problems all of the time it's best to talk to your Dr.

But my Dr says (well 3 of them do) that melatonin won't hurt you.