Respected Contributor

WELCOME TO THE JANUARY EXERCISE THREAD

Image may contain: tree, snow, sky, outdoor and nature

Esteemed Contributor

Re: WELCOME TO THE JANUARY EXERCISE THREAD

I'm on board for this month. Got out of the habit when recovering from an accident. My problem is that once one session is missed it becomes easier to miss another. I am aiming for five 30 minute sessions or 150 minutes a week.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

@KonaKat good to see you posting.  This group will help you meet your goal for sure.  I do empathsize with how easy it is to skip workouts and how that snowballs as I am really good at that.  Just have to force myself to get back on the wagon, which is the hardest part.  Hang in there, and you'll do it.

Happy New Year!

Frequent Contributor

Happy New Year everybody,

I'm new to this particular thread and was hoping one of you beauties could recommend an elliptical machine for the home. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Ladybird

Honored Contributor

Oh, dear --- new year!  I was doing so well in the fall of last year and then started getting stomach issues and gained back all the weight I lost and them some --- so I am going to try and start yet again!  Wish me luck --- I will need it!  

Any words of wisdom for a 67 year old lady, who is out of shape, has health issues and needs to go slow???  HA!  I do walk as much as my ankle permits me, but can't do a lot.  I get discouraged easily.  The mind says --- go for it --- the body says --- you have to be kidding!

Good luck, all, in the coming new year!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Good morning all. There was no yoga video for today so I did one of her ab workouts since it's been on my mind to do a little extra there. Went a little extra in some places to start off today.

Welcome to everyone. I don't have an elliptical but I do have a stationary bike I got from Amazon that was inexpensive and easy to get together. And you start where you are and do what you can. Modifications are everywhere in my practices.

Hope everyone is off to a great start. Enjoy your day.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use a very heavy stationary mini-bike which has very high reviews on Amazon. I have had it two years. It does the job as I track my cardio involvement on my FitBit. It has a tension adjustment so it can be adjusted as pedaling gets easier.

I got started using it when the ortho recommended either this type or a recumbent bike. What I have takes up little room and does the job. Sunny Health & Fitness SF-B0418 Magnetic Mini Exercise Bike with Digital Monitor and 8 Level Resistance. It costs a little less than what I paid 2 years ago. It has 1,209 reviews with over a 4 star average rating. I would buy it again.

@AngelPuppy1I am 77 years old and have a couple of health issues including heart. You can do this. The trick is to start out slow and build up using something that works for you. I pedal away watching TV. 

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Frequent Contributor

Thanks all for your replies!  I think an elliptical machine would be better for me than a stationery bike, as it would literally get me off my butt!

Honored Contributor

Good Morning!  Hope you all are enjoying your New Years Day.

This morning I did a yoga core strength video and the beginner's video.  Whew.  I feel it but it was good to push myself.  Granted, didn't do all of each video - had to take a break or two and modify some moves -  but I did as much as I could.  Found that on the beginner's video I could do a bit more than last time so progress is being made.

Now going to relax the rest of the day.  Recently got BritBox and am going to binge watch Shetland.

Take care!

Honored Contributor

Happy New Year, everyone!  So glad that we all made it!  I look at the beginning of the year to reflex on the year gone by and see what you can do better now that you've been granted this extra time.

This is a new opportunity for us to not just workout but to get mentally more fit as well.  I'm gonna try.  My side pain is about 75% better but still something's going on.  Strange that it doesn't bother me during the day.

Ladies, I got on the scale this morning and the truth of things I've been doing and not doing jumped in my face.  I wanted to scream at myself in the mirror.  I did talk to myself, though.  My joints and stomach are not happy with me and told me that they're gonna fight with me if I keep up with these bad habits.  (I'm gonna make a doctor appointment, too, to rule out appendicitis or gall bladder trouble).

No New Year's Resolutions made, just good old sensible talk.  My eating habits stink and although I haven't stopped working out, I'm doing it less.  So, I asked for what I got, lol.

Have a great day everybody!

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)