Honored Contributor

Re: Medical information vs. privacy

@sfnative   Thank you for your kind words.

Luckly, my family has been healthy.  There has been a spike of cancer in this area though probably due to the accident, but no one is admitting it.

The child I was pregnant with was born with some weird disabilities.  When people would visit, he would hide.  He also was a select mute.  He would not talk which became a problem at school.  He could talk, he just refused to.

When kids would tease him and he had enough, he would clobber them.  I got a call from school that he had beat up a 5th grade boy when my son was in first grade.  He wouldn’t not explain why he did it to the teachers.

It appears the 5th grader would take my sons jacket and run with it every day for weeks.  Finally, the kid put the jacket in a puddle and stepped on it.  When I went to the school for the meeting, I was surprised at the large size of the 5th grade boy compared to my six year old.  That big kid got his butt beat and the bullying stopped.  My son also learned not to deliver corporal punishment to anyone.

It was difficult, but we finally made head way with my son.  As an adult is a wonderful person....and he talks.  He has a great job, a beautiful home and makes good money.  

I am sure TMI had something to do with his problems.  He still has some, but they are not known to many and he has learned to overcome them.

Many other people his age also have similar problems and violent unexplained behaviors. A lot of them have been incarcerated at some points during their young lives.  Much  of what happened has been denied and hidden.

Honored Contributor

If I was that uncomfortable with the questions, I would have kept the forms and taken them in with me to the room.  When the doctor came in, I would have discussed them with him and asked why they needed to know.

As someone else said, maybe the staff found these forms on-line and are handing them out and he doesn't even know these questions are on there.      

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@sfnative   Thank you for your kind words.

Luckly, my family has been healthy.  There has been a spike of cancer in this area though probably due to the accident, but no one is admitting it.

The child I was pregnant with was born with some weird disabilities.  When people would visit, he would hide.  He also was a select mute.  He would not talk which became a problem at school.  He could talk, he just refused to.

When kids would tease him and he had enough, he would clobber them.  I got a call from school that he had beat up a 5th grade boy when my son was in first grade.  He wouldn’t not explain why he did it to the teachers.

It appears the 5th grader would take my sons jacket and run with it every day for weeks.  Finally, the kid put the jacket in a puddle and stepped on it.  When I went to the school for the meeting, I was surprised at the large size of the 5th grade boy compared to my six year old.  That big kid got his butt beat and the bullying stopped.  My son also learned not to deliver corporal punishment to anyone.

It was difficult, but we finally made head way with my son.  As an adult is a wonderful person....and he talks.  He has a great job, a beautiful home and makes good money.  

I am sure TMI had something to do with his problems.  He still has some, but they are not known to many and he has learned to overcome them.

Many other people his age also have similar problems and violent unexplained behaviors. A lot of them have been incarcerated at some points during their young lives.  Much  of what happened has been denied and hidden.

@Carmie

Oh, gosh, CARMIE! I wouldn't doubt that exposure to radiation during whatever trimester you were in had an adverse effect on your son's neural development.  I am deeply saddened for all that occurred to him, that which you both had to endure and live through and the denial, which had to hurt the most.

Based on reports of leukemia in the neighborhood surrounding the University of California San Francisco (UCSF), a clinical study was completed and indeed it was determined that that neighborhood, the one in which I grew up as a child, was deemed a pocket of leukemia.  "Pocket" may not be the word they used, but it was something like that.  When I read the results in the Chronicle (newspaper), I thought of my group of friends in grammar school, located 5.5 blocks from UCSF and wondered.  There were 6 of us that kind of hung around, moved on to junior high and high school together.  Well, as of 20 years ago, #1 had a leg amputated due to bone cancer; #2 died of brain cancer; #3 died of colon cancer; #4 died of skin cancer; #5 died of brain cancer; then there's me.  I've no knowledge of the remainder of our grammar school class, but thank God I am here and blessed.  An interesting fact is that I lived further away from UCSF than my other classmates.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative. OMG.  There has to be a connection.  That’s too many people.

On the street where I grew up, every family with sons lost at least one to cancer.  Some families lost two.  

I lost one brother to lung cancer 10 years ago and the other one just had surgery for prostrate cancer in November.  The girls are cancer free.

There are around 10 families involved that I know of.  Some families moved away and I don’t know if they suffered the same loss.

We lived close to a steel mill that spit out black smoke like a dragon 24/7.  I know that our home was always covered in black soot.  If you had white socks, they were black on the bottoms from one wearing without shoes.

I know of no one who is doing a study about the steel mill dust.  It is just one of my observations.

i will pray that you remain cancer free and safe.  It must be scary just thinking about it.

Our man made environment is making us sick.  No doubt about it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie

I was going to say that I simply cannot believe that no studies -PLURAL- have been done and are ongoing, but I know better: there's liability out there just waiting for  which the authorities should be held accountable!!!

This is sick, it's wrong and someone needs to do something about it.  Honestly, it's hard for me to believe it, because I came from a very proactive city.  I was born, raised, went to school/college in, married in, my child grew up in, lived 49 years in San Francisco.  Though I have no desire to return ever to the city, I can tell you that in matters of health, in the past of which I am knowledgable, they're on top or near the top.  For instance, in the early 80s, when the AIDS epidemic was on everyone's lips in the city, the City of San Francisco Department of Health and UCSF teamed up together to do a clinical/microbiological study on bars in areas with high populations of AIDS.  Remember that in the 80s bartenders were still handwashing all the bar-wear, then towel drying them.  So, the Health Dept and UCSF team went into many, many bars, took possession of hundreds and hundreds of glasses, each placed in its own "evidence-type" plastic bag.  Each glass was swabbed, then eventually plated (in an agar or other dish) and placed in an incubator to determine if any bacteria could be grown.  Though methods at the time for growing viruses were difficult, theses were accomplished as well.  The published results came out while I was in nursing school, so I must tell you I've not recalled very much, except a few very important findings.  The researchers were able to plate live tuberculosis bacterium!!!  This meant that if I were given a glass with a drink in it that was contaminated with TB, I could conceivably contract TB.  How?  The bacterium has a very interesting cell wall, which has a waxy coating, thereby making it rather resistant to simple handwashing and drying by a bartender.  They were also able to plate one type of clostridium, one type of microscopic parasite and two types of pseudomonas. 

The results of this study caused the Health Department to issue new directives/laws/policies&procedures for bars and restaurants regarding the washing, drying and handling of glassware.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative PA is very conservative and behind when it comes to these matters.  People still rely on coal and steel for their livelihoods here.  No one wants to lose their employment. We have had coal miners trapped for days when a mine implodes and many have died.  Lung cancer is prevalent.  We have black lung programs to help people.

My family owned a bar.  I bar tended back in the 70’s.  We were not allowed to towel dry glasses or dishes.  I never knew why.  They had to be washed, rinsed and sanitized in water with some kind of tablets.

The  east coast is way different than the west coast as far as forward thinking goes.  

Honored Contributor

@Carmie, I have a good friend whose sister lived in the TMI area as an adult, and passed away of a cancer they knew was related to the incident.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde. I am so sorry to hear that.  Many, many people have died from cancer since that accident.

Currently there are plans to close TMI altogether.  It’s not cost effective to keep it open.   

Many people have lost their lives, now many will lose their jobs.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

If I was that uncomfortable with the questions, I would have kept the forms and taken them in with me to the room.  When the doctor came in, I would have discussed them with him and asked why they needed to know.

As someone else said, maybe the staff found these forms on-line and are handing them out and he doesn't even know these questions are on there.      

@Lipstickdiva

Believe me when I say that it would have to be an incredibly backward medical practice to go online, find a form and use it to garner patient information, without first having a staff meeting with the physician(s).

The normal routine is to leave this in the hands of the Physician Owners, Practice Manager and the law firm which represents the practice.  Nothing should ever even come close to the copy machine, then to patients, without composition by  the parties mentioned above.  It all relates to matters of HIPPA, subject specific to the physician's practice/specialty and Patient's Bill of Rights, amongst other things.

Honored Contributor

OP some of those questions on you questionaire were crazy! I probably would have answered in a not to ladylike way. I went to a brand new GYN last year and didn't have those questions at all. Unbelieveable.

"Pure Michigan"