Honored Contributor

Re: Medical information vs. privacy

@sfnative wrote:

@Lipstickdiva

Believe me when I say that it would have to be an incredibly backward medical practice to go online, find a form and use it to garner patient information, without first having a staff meeting with the physician(s).

The normal routine is to leave this in the hands of the Physician Owners, Practice Manager and the law firm which represents the practice.  Nothing should ever even come close to the copy machine, then to patients, without composition by  the parties mentioned above.  It all relates to matters of HIPPA, subject specific to the physician's practice/specialty and Patient's Bill of Rights, amongst other things.

@sfnative, I agree but sometimes I'm shocked at one goes on in offices and if no one brings it to the doctor's attention, it doesn't get changed. 

There are some very old school physicians who don't pay much attention to HIPPA either. 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie  I don't answer any questions that don't pertain to my health.  I am shocked that you were phoned and told to answer the questions, this has never happened to me.  they have no right to try to force a patient to answer questions.  

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

They sound like lifestyle questions, I would of answered them with out the bat of an eyelash

Yes, you’re right.  They were lifestyle questions now that you mentioned it.  Why do you think they want to know?

They didn’t ask if I practiced any of this, just wanted to know if i was interested.  Do you think they wanted women to audition for something? I can’t figure it out.

@Carmie  Statistics.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Carmie

Actually a GYN would need to know about your Sxxul behavior and your lifestyle

@Carmie wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

They sound like lifestyle questions, I would of answered them with out the bat of an eyelash

Yes, you’re right.  They were lifestyle questions now that you mentioned it.  Why do you think they want to know?

They didn’t ask if I practiced any of this, just wanted to know if i was interested.  Do you think they wanted women to audition for something? I can’t figure it out.

@I am still oxox  As far as I am concerned, a doctor does not need to know about a patient's sexual behavior unless there is  a medical issue that pertains to it.

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

That sounds so inappropriate.  And saying they need it for their "system" doesn't really answer anything.  

@Snoopp  Statistics, that is what it is about.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:

Bottom line THAT QUESTION was inappropriate and seems totally out of line.  

Must be a memo somewhere. Some questions pop up in groups with many doctors asking the same thing.  Both my husband and myself... different doctors get asked if WE HAVE FALLEN.  i AM ANNOYED BY THIS.  Just because I am older I am not off balance, dance 6 times a week and I resent the question.  Period

Medicare requites doctors to ask if a patient has fallen in the last six months. They also ask if you feel safe in your home or if you are abused in some way.

@Carmie  I wouldn't answer that question either.

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

I rarely give out my ss number anymore.  

@Snoopp  I never do.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Snoopp wrote:

@Snoopp  I never do.

@mousiegirl I think we are in the minority.  

Honored Contributor

I never think my profile is interesting enough to brood about, and of the questions you were asked, OP, I probably wouldn’t have had any worthwhile opinions, so my response might have been NA for me, or a question mark.

I might also have reported “no opinion” or “no experience”.

If I were satisfied with the approach of the new doctor, I wouldn’t be at all disturbed by a very generic questionnaire. I took a cognitive disorder test a few weeks ago, and my Internist’s new nurse was embarrassed asking me some of the questions but truthfully I couldn’t care less.

I’m quite a bit older than you are OP, and married almost as long. Unless I was told in advance that my name and the answers to the “embarrassing” (s*x?) questions were going to be published on the front page of a local newspaper, I have no problem with it.

It has always been my experience that when it comes to that subject, everyone I know, no matter how old or how young, either does it or doesn’t. The how’s and why’s and with whom of it may well impact strongly on your health, so I consider them legitimate information for a medical professional.

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Snoopp wrote:

@Snoopp  I never do.

@mousiegirl I think we are in the minority.  

A man doing my taxes one year told me the only ones you need to give your ss to are:

the IRS

Social Security Administration

Your employer

and anyone paying you money.

Several years ago it was no longer required to give your ss to your doctor or any medical group. They have your insurance id which is enough.

Many of the forms still have it listed on there but you do not need to fill it out!

Our drivers licenses no longer have them either.

As for the questions, I have never seen anything like that. They are worded really innapropriately I think. I have seen questions pertaining to, if you were at risk for any std type things etc but never questions worded that way.

Very creepy and I would not feel at all comfortable with a doctor who asked those especially if they had nothing to do with me! And if he is unaware of what is on that form, he/she should be-its his practice.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"