Super Contributor

Re: Knee Replacement Surgery

[ Edited ]

@sfnative wrote:

@barc43 wrote:

sympathize with you but this is not a forum for giving or receiving medical advice. Ask your Doctor these questions or get another medical opinion from another Board certified physician. Best of success and wishes for a complete and speedy recovery.

@barc43

@hovis

(1)  The OP did not ask for medical advice, per se.  One of the things the OP asked was, "What's it like after surgery"?  Folks here who have had a TKA will have much information to share that the OP will NEVER receive from her surgeon or his/her staff.  Believe me, I worked in Ortho.

(2)  Post-op recovery time is specific to the individual, so this is a valid question.  Surgeons and nurses tend to recite a litany of staid information, rarely departing from the memorized narrative.

It does the OP no good for anyone to put the kybosh on her wish to have some input on a possible TKA, especially given the fact that she's never had a surgical procedure.

If I could give her my contact info, I would, as I have experience in that field and have also had a left knee TKA.

Give the OP a break, for crying out loud.

I simple can't understand why people come on here to give the ridiculous answer of "a shopping board is no place for medical advice". Ok so it isn't, BUT the vast majority are just looking for stories, their experiences, comfort, and the like. Telling them that, is annoying IMHO. And I see it many times. I ask myself why is that person even bothering to answer. 

Snfative, very good reply. 

Barc43,  get a life. 

Respected Contributor

Helpful info.  I was just assisiting a friend who had a knee replacement.  Anyone who goes thru this needs all the encouragment possible.  This surgery is so common.  The more prepared you are going into it, the better!  You need to prepare for major down time.  

Trusted Contributor

I am in bed reading the forum topics tonight because I am in pain and can’t sleep. I am exactly one week out from a left TKR. I won’t kid you. There are times it hurts. However, I am doing very well. My knee went straight and also bent to 90 degrees in the hospital. My therapist said that it was the best knee he’d seen in more than 6 months. He also said my doctor was one of three in the entire metro region that always had such good results. So my advice to you is research to find the best surgeon you can. The best surgeons will only be at hospitals that support best practices. 

If my pain  doesn’t let up soon, I will have to take a pain pill. I have been trying to do without. I think this will ease up in a week or so and then I’ll really improve. My knee made 105 degrees today. I don’t want to push it too fast, either.

find a great surgeon and good luck to you. You will be happy when it is over.

Honored Contributor

@debcakes,

Continued best wishes with your recovery!    

As someone who has done both knees, I think you are way too early into the process to be restricting pain meds.   I truly feel it is best to take them on schedule, so that you never allow the pain to get ahead of you.   Once your pain level is above a 5, it takes hours for an oral med to work, and the oral med you came home with does not work as well as the combo meds you received in the hospital.  

I took my last pain pill on day 9 of PT, which was my last session, and was a full month after my surgery.

Esteemed Contributor

I had total left knee replacement surgery a little over 2 years ago also recommended by my doctor after reviewing my xrays, before that he prescribed anti-inflamatory medications to see if that would hold it off which it did for a while but I eventually decided to do the surgery.

Not only did my doctor who was also the surgeon explain the procedure it was mandatory that all his patients attend a class at the hospital on joint replacement (free) otherwise he will not do the surgery.   That class included all the details about the surgery (before and after) and we met with everyone that would be involved with our care (before and after), nurses, physical therapist, anesthesiologist you name it they were there  I too was nervous at first but I met first timers and repeat patients returning to get the other knee or hip replaced by my doctor.  I don't know if all joint replacement doctors do this but I couldn't have been more comfortable with the way my whole preparation and aftercare went plus I had a wonderful easy to talk to doctor that answered all my questions as well as his team that answered questions I didn't think about.

Trusted Contributor

I had a right total knee replacement in 2014, I let my knee go way to long trying to baby it  along with knee injections, braces and pain meds.  Finally I scheduled an appt to have the knee surgery.  I'm not going to say that it's a easy recovery process, but with a good Physical Therapist and determination I am able to walk without pain and limping.  Ask your surgeon any questions that are on your mind, and do some research on your own also, we have to be our own best health advocates.

Valued Contributor

@Luvitorleaveit1 wrote:

I had total left knee replacement surgery a little over 2 years ago also recommended by my doctor after reviewing my xrays, before that he prescribed anti-inflamatory medications to see if that would hold it off which it did for a while but I eventually decided to do the surgery.

Not only did my doctor who was also the surgeon explain the procedure it was mandatory that all his patients attend a class at the hospital on joint replacement (free) otherwise he will not do the surgery.   That class included all the details about the surgery (before and after) and we met with everyone that would be involved with our care (before and after), nurses, physical therapist, anesthesiologist you name it they were there  I too was nervous at first but I met first timers and repeat patients returning to get the other knee or hip replaced by my doctor.  I don't know if all joint replacement doctors do this but I couldn't have been more comfortable with the way my whole preparation and aftercare went plus I had a wonderful easy to talk to doctor that answered all my questions as well as his team that answered questions I didn't think about.

You must have the same doc I have. LOL.....  I feel the same way about mine, and he had me go through the same pre-surgical regime, which I really appreciated. There were no surprises.

Honored Contributor

@hovis

So what did the doctor say?

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@hovis

I just had a TKN left side, in November.

The knee, and my whole body became septic in 2005 because I kept delaying replacement a did a bunch of damage.  I had to have it done then, and just had the re-do to make what turned out to be a massive improvement.

If you are in doubt of the necessity get a second opinion.

Best wishes.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras