Valued Contributor

I am going to the Dr. today and I know he is going to tell me I need this surgery. I have never had any surgeries and I am nervous about this. What's it like after the sugery and how long would I be laid up. Any suggestions to calm me down.?

Occasional Contributor

Re: Knee Replacement Surgery

sympathize with you but this is not a forum for giving or receiving medical advice. Ask your Doctor these questions or get another medical opinion from another Board certified physician. Best of success and wishes for a complete and speedy recovery.

Frequent Contributor

Hello:

I am currently three weeks post op of a total left knee replacement.  My surgery went well; everyone comments on how well I am doing.  Physical Therapists were in my hospital room that very same day of surgery: surgery around 9 a.m., and PT in my room about 2:00 p.m.  They worked me over good, but I dare say that is why I am getting along so well.  I got a little nauseated by the anesthesia.

This was my first surgery ever as well, but it went well enough that I am not scared of having the other knee done now.  Physical therapy is almost worse than the actual surgery: three times a week, and they have all kinds of ways to get that knee bending. 

My surgeon said that I didn't have much of a knee left--bone spurs and no cartilge; he said I should feel more stable with my new knee.

Respected Contributor

Make a list of questions, if possible go with someone to the appointment. 

Listen to some soothing music, watch some funny movies, read. Take your mind off of it once you’ve prepared for tomorrow.

Take some deep breaths. Good luck.

Respected Contributor

My mother had two knee replacements just last year-age 82 (one at a time).  She says she's better than ever before.  Yes, three months recovery time, therapy which will make you cry, but focus on the positive and the new you~!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@barc43..................Amen sister, there is  too much  uninformed medical advised given on this forum.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I believe many of us on this board have had knee replacements so you are likely to get some good advice.  I had my left knee replaced in January and it was the best decision I ever made.  I resisted for a while because I did not want another surgery and I was in denial.  The steroid injections helped with the pain and I just hoped the situation would resolve itself but the mobility issue got to me.  If you decide the surgery, you will get all the info you need from your surgeon and most hospitals in my area also have pre-surgery classes where you get to ask questions and the procedure and rehab is explained in great detail.  I had my surgery on a Friday, went home on Monday.  I had no post op pain the hospital because my surgeon gives his TKR patients femoral nerve blocks right before surgery and pain meds.  He does that because he wants his patients up and doing PT the day after the surgery and patients cannot do that if they are in pain. Between PT, hall walking, OT I was busy for those 3 days in hospital.  I came home on a walker,  I needed a raised toilet seat.   I had a script for Oxycodone but I took it for only a week or so.  I had no significant pain, nothing that Tylenol extra strength didn't take care of.  PT and OT came to my home daily for about 3 weeks, until I was off the walker and walking with a cane.  At that point, I went to PT three times a week at my local hospital.   And that was that.  I got better and better.  I marveled and still do at the fact that I have no knee and leg pain now.  I had it for so long.  I used a cane for about 8 weeks.  After I was discharged from PT, it was just a matter or walking..walking...walking.   I know several people who recently had TKR and their stories are similar to mine.  I hope this helps, ask more questions if you have them and right down your questions when you speak with your surgeon so you don't forget anything.

Honored Contributor

@hovis wrote:

I am going to the Dr. today and I know he is going to tell me I need this surgery. I have never had any surgeries and I am nervous about this. What's it like after the sugery and how long would I be laid up. Any suggestions to calm me down.?

@hovis    I was the same as you prior to all my joint replacement surgeries.... and I put it off way to long and suffered in pain for years when I could have fixed the problem and had those years pain free that I suffered so. I lost more that 10 years of my life suffering needlessly because i was afraid of the surgery.......

I had both knees replaced at the same time in 2013.  I now do everything and anything I want where before I was SO MISERABLE in pain and on crutches....

I had both hips replace after that... and now I a SUPER WOMAN. Smiley Happy

Do not put it off... JUST DO IT and do whatever they tell you to do in the weeks afterward for your therapy.  The pain of the surgery is LESS  than the pain you have now... and it is pain that GOES AWAY......

just DO IT  and do not put it off. 

Esteemed Contributor

@hovis. The surgery has come a long way in recent years.  I had both done at the same time.  Pt in hospital and I was able to go home.  Pt continues and it is the hardest part.  Once staples are removed, PT wants the knee to bend.  My doc and his nurse gave the best advice;  take pain pill 30 min prior to PT and ice, 20 min on, 20 min off.  Ice will be your best friend.

Recovery takes a good 3 months, sometimes longer.  Your body will let you know.  The surgery is the best thing you can do to get your life and mobility back!!!!  

I am thankful that I had mine done together!!!

I wish you the best of luck!!!!

Honored Contributor

@hovis

What treatments have you had on this knee to suspect your doctor is going to say you need TKR surgery?  I have had many surgeries and seen more doctors than many, but I never "know" what he is going to tell me.

A doctor can "tell you anything", but it is you that makes the decisions, not the doctor. 

While I have had  "recoveries" from many injuries/procedures, some as long as 18 months, I have never had and organ or joint replaced. There are many on this forum that have had TKR surgery(s), I am sure many can tell you about their recoveries.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)