Honored Contributor

Re: Huge recall of Jif Peanut Butter products

@Ainhisg wrote:

Thank you for posting!  The only jar we have (and have eaten from) is on the list!  Smiley Sad

I hope all is ok!    I wonder if it might be a bit of a crapshoot, as I'd be willing to bet that every item in the span of those numbers they mention isn't affected.  But, OTOH, no way to know which might be safe or not.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt 

When it comes to salmonella, I'd rather stick to the side of caution!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

@chickenbutt   Thank you.  Just checked the 2 I have in my pantry.....and yes they are on the list.  I took a picture of the list on the site and will attempt to return them.  

Honored Contributor

Be sure, from the link, that you are catching the part about the lot code numbers that are mentioned in the link - 

“The recalled peanut butter was distributed nationwide in retail stores and other outlets. Recalled products include the products below with lot codes 1274425 – 2140425. Lot codes are included alongside best-if-used-by date,” according to the company’s recall notice posted by the FDA."

Example, here is a pic I took of my jar and you see the numbers shown below the 'best by' info...

P1150130.jpg

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a 40 oz Creamy on this list that was just finished and thrown in the bin today!!!!  I pulled it out to check and sure enuf found the numbers.  DH eats it every day and hasn''t been sick, so hopefully its just random productions.  I have a new jar bought Thursday at Walmart that's not on the list thank goodness.  The affected jar also came from Walmart.  

jif.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Be sure, from the link, that you are catching the part about the lot code numbers that are mentioned in the link - 

“The recalled peanut butter was distributed nationwide in retail stores and other outlets. Recalled products include the products below with lot codes 1274425 – 2140425. Lot codes are included alongside best-if-used-by date,” according to the company’s recall notice posted by the FDA."

Example, here is a pic I took of my jar and you see the numbers shown below the 'best by' info...

P1150130.jpg

@chickenbutt 

Ok, now I'm a little bit confused. The paragraph above the chart that you quoted here talks about the "lot code" but the chart itself shows UPC codes. That's what I checked.  So now I have to go back and check lot codes? Why did they list UPC codes???

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags - I'm not sure, but I was afraid that it wasn't totally clear and took me a bit to figure out WHICH number they were talking about.

At first, I had scrolled down to find 'Jif Creamy 28oz' and saw one thing, then I realized it's those numbers I bolded and show on my jar, just below bb.

Sorry if I made it confusing.   Smiley Embarassed

Honored Contributor

@meallen616 wrote:

We are a Skippy family ,so, I guess I am safe for now! I will have to tell my brother and his family  who are Jif peanut butter lovers!

We are also a Skippy family. We were so disappointed that Sam's Club switched to Jif. Glad Costco still sells Skippy.

Glad that I donated several jars of Skippy to the Mail Carrier's food drive last Saturday and not Jif.

Honored Contributor

I was wondering why I didn't get anything from Raley's over this recall. But, since it just hit today I figured no biggie.

Then, I just got this email from *Raley's about it!   

Dear Valued Customer,

We're contacting you because Raley's has removed Jif Peanut Butter (various sizes and types). These products are being recalled for potential salmonella contamination.

We care about the health and safety of our customers. Because you are a Something Extra member, we know that you may have recently purchased this product. We will refund you for any product that needs to be discarded.

Please see below for the items affected by this recall, or visit our website (more info below in the email).

*Raley's is a west coast based grocery store chain

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@shoesnbags- I'm not sure, but I was afraid that it wasn't totally clear and took me a bit to figure out WHICH number they were talking about.

At first, I had scrolled down to find 'Jif Creamy 28oz' and saw one thing, then I realized it's those numbers I bolded and show on my jar, just below bb.

Sorry if I made it confusing.   Smiley Embarassed

@chickenbutt 

You didn't make it confusing at all!  The official recall notice is confusing because the chart shows one thing and the wording says another.  You did us all a favor by notifying us, and I sincerely thank you for that.  You'd think this would be publicized more, given how popular peanut butter is.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett