Honored Contributor

Re: Huge recall of Jif Peanut Butter products

Just finished a jar Saturday! Dont know if it was on the list but thankfully feel fine! Now I will not be buying that brand.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

@Mombo1 wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@shoesnbags @Lot code is different than the UPC code. 425 is the affected lot.

@Mindy D 

Oh, I know.  That's why I thought it was confusing for the chart to show UPC codes instead of the lot codes that we were supposed to be checking.  BTW I always appreciate the way you are on top of these things and let us know about other recalls.

@shoesnbags @Mindy D

I just got back from Walmart.  Returned my Jif peanut butter.  The shelves were completely empty.  Apparently they recalled all....regardless of lot or UPC codes.  I then went to Weis  grocery store.  Same thing.   To be safe....I would suggest returning any that you might have.  I did not have a receipt but received cash back.  Purchased the Smuckers as a backup.  

Thanks for the heads up @Mombo1 .  Darn, that means I'll have to go through Jiff withdrawal, if there's none on the shelves and I have to return what I have. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

I have two big jars of Jif...but where the heck are the numbers located so I can check to see if mine need to be tossed? All I see is a barcode for the store...it's the shame on both jars.

Honored Contributor

@Duckncover wrote:

I have two big jars of Jif...but where the heck are the numbers located so I can check to see if mine need to be tossed? All I see is a barcode for the store...it's the shame on both jars.

@Duckncover , did you see the pic of my jar that I posted in post #24?

Down where you see the 'best by' date, just below that, is a series of numbers.  

If the number you see on your jar falls between the 1274425 – 2140425 range, it IS a part of the recall.

You can see that the numbers on mine are 1292425, which falls between the bolded #s above.  This means it is a part of the lot that could be problematic. 

Hope that helps!  Smiley Happy

Looks like stores are just pulling EVERYTHING, from what I'm hearing so far, so I guess that's probably good.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have discovered the numbers are misleading. I have a twin pack from Costco..two 48 Oz jars. It is listed on the FDA page as 96 Oz ...and the number is the barcode on the wrapper, not the number on the jar under the selI by date. The number is on the recall list, so I will be taking it back to Costco tomorrow.

Trusted Contributor

Instacart emailed me last night that I had purchased some of that product-what a good aspect of Instacart that I had never thought of!

Honored Contributor

Glad I don't use any of the major brands (Jif, Skippy, Peter Pan) anymore. 

Esteemed Contributor

Jif is pulled from the shelves completely in the store I went to.  

Too bad Jif corporate hasn't got staff to answer their customer care lines.  Just rings until it disconnects.  Very disappointing.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My hubs came up with that list yesterday and we had to throw out a brand new unopened jar.  What if we opened and ate it when I got it awhile back?  He read we should just pitch it!!!

I don't remember a product ever recalled while I was growing up.  

Contributor

I just pulled out the jar I purchsed over a month ago and have eaten from at least 3 times so far. Unfortunately it is on the list for recalls and I am now freaked out over this. I suppose I would be sick by now as the last time I ate it was at least 5 days ago. This is scary. There was also a recall on skippy peanut butter a few months ago over possible metal pieces getting into certain containers. I hope I don't get sick and for now am done with peanut butter.