Esteemed Contributor

My dog has been on Heartworm meds for years, yet every time I need to order when a year is up the Vets office needs a Heartworm exam once a year.  

I asked why, she has been on the meds forever. Just policy I'm told.  Another way to make money?  It's just a wellness exam.

She had bloodtest and exam in April, now another exam. 

Does it make sense. Maybe there is a vet on here that can answer. Thank you.

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition   Why is your dog on permanent heartworm meds?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition   In every state I ever heard of, it's not policy, it's state law.  A heartworm test must be administered before a prescription is written.  And yes, IMO, it's a money grab. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac I think @qvcaddition is probably referring to a monthly heartworm prevention prescription tablet rather than heartworm meds.  My dogs have always taken them and before you can get the prescription refilled, the dog needs a heartworm test, usually once a year.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@qvcaddition   Why is your dog on permanent heartworm meds?

@Mz iMac   In areas that ever experienced a mosquito, heartworm meds are generally taken every month of the year for life. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Linmo& @Kachina624 

Thank you.  Luckily my rescue from Mexico was heartworm free.  Vet scheduled a heartworm exam for the end of December. (after examining her feces).

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor
Honored Contributor

It used to be that once a blood test proved your dog was heartworm negative, as long as you gave the meds regularly as directed you didn't need any further blood tests.  In the last few years, they now require the test yearly.

I asked my vet about this and he said there has been breakthrough heartworm on dogs getting regular meds.  I'm suspicious about this, like I am about some other recent veterinary rules, but it is what it is.

I'm not sure if you're saying that your dog was just tested in April for heartworms and is now required to be tested again, or if your dog had a blood draw for something else one of those times.

Honored Contributor

Re: Heartworm exam

[ Edited ]

@qvcaddition wrote:

My dog has been on Heartworm meds for years, yet every time I need to order when a year is up the Vets office needs a Heartworm exam once a year.  

I asked why, she has been on the meds forever. Just policy I'm told.  Another way to make money?  It's just a wellness exam.

She had bloodtest and exam in April, now another exam. 

Does it make sense. Maybe there is a vet on here that can answer. Thank you.

Heart worm meds or heart worm preventative?  We have our dog on heart worm prevention and fleas & tick prevention year round and he has to be heart worm tested every year. Policy or law, I honestly don’t know, but the vet’s office is doing their job for the health of your pet. Even though they may have sold you the preventative or medicine, they can’t know with certainty that you’ve been faithful in giving it to your pet. The heart worm test will let them know if you should continue with a preventative or treat with a medicine.  

Esteemed Contributor

Heartworm prevention is not 100% effective.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.