Honored Contributor

Not a money grab, there IS a reason to test before continuing hearworm meds:

Dogs that are 7 months of age and older should be tested for heartworms before starting heartworm prevention.  A dog may appear healthy on the outside, but on the inside, heartworms may be living and thriving.  If a heartworm-positive dog is not tested before starting a preventive, the dog will remain infected with adult heartworms until it gets sick enough to show symptoms. Heartworm preventives do not kill adult heartworms. Also, giving a heartworm preventive to a dog infected with adult heartworms may be harmful or deadly.  If microfilariae are in the dog’s bloodstream, the preventive may cause the microfilariae to suddenly die, triggering a shock-like reaction and possibly death.

Keep the Worms Out of Your Pet’s Heart! The Facts about Heartworm Disease | FDA

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Linmo& @Kachina624 

Thank you.  Luckily my rescue from Mexico was heartworm free.  Vet scheduled a heartworm exam for the end of December. (after examining her feces).

@Mz iMac    A heartworm test is a quick bloodtest and has nothing to do with feces.  I wonder why he didn't start her on the preventative immediately?  That's the usual procedure.  It's usually done at the time of the annual exam and vaccinations. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@qvcaddition  Our dog has the heartworm shot twice a year and must have a heartworm test before each shot can be given to make sure she doesn't have heartworm.  

Trusted Contributor

I adopted a dog from a shelter a year ago. We found out he was heartworm positive when we took hIm to the vet. The vet advised against getting the injection that would kill the heartworm due to the fact that he is a big black lab and very active. Likes to run. We would have to contain him in a crate for 6 weeks and put him on a leash to go outside to do his business. Even on a leash, he pulls and struggles to run. The vet said strenuous activity could cause him to drop dead in his tracks from a heart attack. So, that was not an option that would work for us. Of course, we started him on monthly heartworm prevention to prevent any new worms. The vet said it takes 5-6 years for the worms in the heart to die on their own and we have no idea how long they've been there or how many there might be. In the meantime, they reak havoc on the dog's heart. It makes me sad.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Heartworm prevention is not 100% effective.

Very true, My 5 year old sheltie contracted heartworms although he never missed a pill, which we proved, the drug company paid for his treatment.

The Ivermectin is his meds don't always work for all dogs and can be deadly to some herding breeds:

Dogs of some herding breeds and some mix-breed dogs can have a genetic mutation that makes them dangerously oversensitive to ivermectin, the active ingredient in some commonly used heartworm prevention medicines for dogs.

Given at the proper doses and under the supervision of a veterinarian, ivermectin is safe for most dogs and is very effective in treating and preventing a number of parasites. However, a dog with the mutation who ingests the drug can have a severe, life-threatening reaction called ivermectin toxicity.

This sensitivity is because of a mutation in what is known as the MDR1 gene. In dogs who have the mutation, the drug crosses the blood-brain barrier and causes neurological damage, which can be lethal.

Dogs can ingest ivermectin not only in the form of heartworm preventative, but also if they eat the manure of livestock that were treated with the drug for parasite control. For this reason, owners of vulnerable breeds should be extra vigilant when their dogs are around horses, sheep, or other livestock.

Smooth Collie with sheep

Owners of herding breeds or other vulnerable dogs should be careful that their dogs do not eat the manure of sheep or other livestock that may have been treated with ivermectin.

Dogs with the mutation are hypersensitive to other medications as well, including loperamide (Imodium), acepromazine, and some chemotherapy drugs.

Common Heartworm Medication Ivermectin Can Have Serious Side Effects for Some Breeds – American Kenn...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Heartworm exam

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Linmo& @Kachina624 

Thank you.  Luckily my rescue from Mexico was heartworm free.  Vet scheduled a heartworm exam for the end of December. (after examining her feces).

@Mz iMac    A heartworm test is a quick bloodtest and has nothing to do with feces.  I wonder why he didn't start her on the preventative immediately?  That's the usual procedure.  It's usually done at the time of the annual exam and vaccinations. 

@Kachina624  Vet was checking for eggs & worms.  My rescue's medical records are in Spanish.  From my vet I learned heartworm blood work was already done in Mexico-negative.  Next blood test will be done the end of December.

SP Advantage II is working wonders so far but I do spritz a little Wondercide w/o rubbing in as it "repels" mosquitos.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom    There are other brands of preventative other than Heartguard which do not contain Ivermectin.  Owners of sensitive breeds simply use an alternate brand.  Also there is a test which can be given to test for sensitivity. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Yes, once he was treated and we found out the Ivermectin didn't work him, we switched to an alternate.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you all for your answers  I meant to say she takes her tablets once a month for 12 years, but every year they want an  exam and what is the sense of taking the tablets every month to prevent the heartworm, if you still need a test?

You have all answered my question, and i thank you.  The vets have gone up in price by 20.00 and I am a low income senior, but have to pay the price.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qvcaddition  Since you are a senior......

Ask your vet about "senior rates."  All the vets in my neck of the woods have "senior rates."  My vet visits are practically free!  I've never had a bill over $50.

My dog's 2nd lyme shot & visit was FREE!

Will have to check on the area Animal Hospitals regarding "senior rates."  They are my "PLAN B" if vet is unavailable.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif